1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

RIP Anthony Bourdain

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Commodore, Jun 8, 2018.

1. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Why is hanging becoming such a popular form of suicide these days?

3. Entropy

Entropy Member

Best way to get rid of people and not have anyone ask questions. Also throw in a little auto-erotic asyphyxiation kink and there you go.

4. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

He was great at his job but that doesn't make it perfect. Frankly all that travel starts to sound miserable and isolating. You're essentially removed from your family and friends back home for most of your daily life. That isn't for everyone.

I myself used to travel around the world and only once every 6 weeks but even that started to just be too much so I switched jobs. As fun as it looks to see the world, its really not very fun to do it without your family.

Hakeemtheking and Invisible Fan like this.
  5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

What?

Rocket River

6. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

FYI: Parts Unknown is streaming on Netflix until June 16.

7. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

Was this already in the works to be removed (i.e. contract negotiations) or is this b/c of Bourdain's passing? If the latter, why?

8. mtbrays

Supporting Member

It was scheduled to be taken off before his death and I thought "I should watch some of these." Now there's a reason to.

9. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Was scheduled to be removed, Netflix unfortunately often has licenses for a limited period of time.

10. TheresTheDagger

We have a lot of work to do in bringing mental health issues out of the dark.

You would have thought the death of Robin Williams might have started a conversation...but it hasn't. The world is a cold place with so few places of light for those in dark places to reach out to. It's time to end that.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  11. jacoby

jacoby Member

I have no sympathy for someone who willfully and gleefully inflicts horrific pain and violence onto innocent animals... tearing them open with his bare hands while they're still alive and slathering his face in their blood.

Controversial take, but the world is better off without a-holes like him.

12. mtbrays

Supporting Member

[​IMG]

tinman and whag00 like this.
  13. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Amazing

14. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

15. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

I will miss him. He was such a mensch.

moestavern19 likes this.
  16. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

Mathloom likes this.
  17. Asian Sensation

Thanks for sharing. Just a 3 minute clip but he captivates my/your attention the first few seconds he speaks and you want to hear him talk forever. You can tell there’s such a deeper meaning to why the experience was so depressing aside from the crappy burger.

The way he shares the story and paints the picture makes it feel like I was the one ordering the burger and it really is sad. Being at an airport late night/early morning when all the shops are closed and it’s dark without lively people everywhere was a weird feeling for me. Having to see those struggling workers and making blank eye contact probably without slightest hint of cracking a smile cause nobody wanted to be there.... I can see that leaving a negative lasting impression.

18. Buck Turgidson

I can't read any further in this thread that post #4, I just saw the news.

If you've ever read his books or heard him talk, you knew he was haunted by things he couldn't quite escape.

He was never my favorite "foodie" or whatever you'd call him, mainly because of his personality, but I've always loved his quest for finding and putting a spotlight on regions/cuisines/cultures that most people never would have paid any attention to.

There's also this: https://www.npr.org/sections/health...c-u-s-suicide-rates-have-climbed-dramatically

Someday, we as a society might treat mental health as seriously as, say, cancer or heart disease.

Major and Hakeemtheking like this.
  19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

You got news of not only the inward forms of destruction but the outward forms too.

I think part of it is our hyper aggressive culture to not show weakness. The other part is how deeply isolated we are in our cities and mobile phones. It hits men harder because we generally form less friends to talk to about stuff outside of small talk.

I don't know man. A lot of our culture is ****ed up. Work hard, play hard is not a formula for happiness.

It could be one for success, if you're lucky.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  20. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I don't that is the problem here more of a lack of responsibility. Our society has a deep baked in selfishness seeking happiness at every turn. This guy has an 11 year old daughter.