1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

RIP Anthony Bourdain

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Commodore, Jun 8, 2018.

1. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

RIP. It maybe health reasons since he looked very thin unless he is vigorously exercising.

2. Caesar

Caesar Member

3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

4. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

He smoked for a LONG time. I too wondered if there was a diagnosis he didn’t like. Chemo sucks. Sometimes, so does growing older. And there’s no guarantees. Who knows how any of us would respond to life altering news. But of course this is all conjecture.

Torn n Frayed and tinman like this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

People often times look at someone else's life and make a judgment that they must be happy. The reality is more complicated. He has spoken before about how difficult it has been for him to form close relationships with people he loves and that he has consistently and inevitably let them down. He has has had a number of girlfriends and wives that ultimately have ended in divorce/separation. His last long term wife hadn't lived with him for a long time. He had been exploited when he was younger and battled a very bad heroin addiction. We see some people and we think they have an ideal life or are so well put together, but behind closed doors it can be very different.

Also to the people asking why his friend didn't know....... there is a really good chance his friend was well aware of his struggles, and likely helped him many times with getting help or supporting him. However, his friend cannot be there all the time and we don't know how many times his friend has kept it from happening. There is this idea that mental illness is something that can be completely cured or solved with counseling or medication. The reality is that many times it doesn't go away, it just makes it slightly more livable.

I am sorry he is gone, and I feel for his daughter and family. I however am not surprised. Part of what made him such an interesting person was his dark side and watching him struggle for happiness.

6. GIGO

GIGO Member

Looking at these instagrams posted by Christopher Doyle a few days ago makes this whole thing feel all the more saddening.

7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Interesting clip from just a couple of years ago; mentions the "soul-destroying" burger but also binging on mac-n-cheese after "altered state" of consciousness. Hmm. Poor guy.

Asian Sensation and donkeypunch like this.
  8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There’s been increase in suicides lately by successful people
    Bourdain is incredibly shocking
    I always look forward to his new shows about the world

Today is a sad day

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Is that Blade Runner style market still a go or what?

10. SuraGotMadHops

Hamburgers triggering a mental breakdown? This is like Tony Soprano having a panic attack when he sees gabagool. Very interesting.

11. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

This sucks. Seemed like such a cool dude. Enjoyed watching his show and anticipated his Houston one for a while. He showcased our city well.

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

13. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

I am not knocking the man, simply pointing out the facts. I too was glad once he saw the light about our great city and it's food scene..

14. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

A man is dead and y'all want to cry because he didn't visit your favorite hole in the wall inside in the loop.

****ing hilarious.

15. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

16. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Hakeemtheking, Mathloom and B-Bob like this.
  17. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

There are no words to convey how much I will miss Anthony Bourdain. Through his show I got to travel for free, see how the world lives, eats, breathes. He was unique.

Clearly his depression struggles were awful. I have met people with mood disorders and the like, and you just never know; I dated someone who was, by chance, eating a cheeseburger, and her bright eyes suddenly clouded over dark and I thought, Uh oh. Went from perfectly happy to a dark place in zero seconds flat.

These things are just tough to grasp. One of the few shows I watched. He'll be missed.

We are probably one of the worst, if not THE worst, industrialized nations when it comes to dealing with mental health issues. Not sure entirely why. A misunderstood subject? "Why can't you just, you know, be happy?"

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Tragic news. Rip Anthony.

Traveling the world is awesome but it's not easy after several months. He probably felt even more isolated with the attention he got and the expectation to be on all the time. So then you say you want to settle, but his history for settling is laid bare for anyone to see.

Doing narcotics always has a price. Some people can do it casually, but if you're hurting from something deeper, you'll push that limit till you feel the consequences for days.

Body always strives for balance. Sometimes a person's natural scales are weighted against happiness and the situation the person is in. Doing drugs to break the scale is a short term solution at best. You're flooding your neuro chemical receptors until they break or adjust for a bigger load. You can't assume it's like the liver that grows back in jiffy and all you get is the need to buy yet one more shot.

The fact that his stardom came late makes you wonder what his goals were. He's an amazing writer and the way he connected people and locations was an incredible gift. I hope he found what he was looking for when he published his first book, if only for just a moment.

The best I can wish for is that he's off eating and commiserating with the locals at his next destination.

#58 Invisible Fan, Jun 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    Chamillionaire and ATXNekko like this.
  19. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

Wooooww

20. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

This is shocking because i felt like this guy had a perfect job. Being paid to travel the world and experience new things.