1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can Embiid and the Sixers hold off elimination in Game 5? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Riddle Me This!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by giddyup, Jul 28, 2021.

1. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I'm a casual basketball fan unlike most of you, but I'm puzzled by something.

I keep reading about how this or that player doesn't really fit some team's "system". Hmmm.

As often as coaches are fired and players as FAs come and go, why is this even a consideration? I get that everyone contributing today (GM's and Coaches and Scouts) hopes to be around for the long haul but to me this kind of reeks of micro-management.

Seems to me like a team 7- or 8-deep with players skilled all-around could do quite nicely.... or is the NBA's game rigged to let the so-called superstars gather Championship Rings? Kind of makes me sick, really.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  2. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Fit isn't always about system/coaches. It's more about the long-term core players. You build around your top guys, so building around Harden for example is going to require different players than building around Jokic because they have different requirements out of team mates. "All round" or 2 way players are a lot less common in the upper tiers of talent than in the lower-mid and are often the glue guys, but you can't build a team out of glue guys. It's about finding the right complimentary talent to maximise your top guys and their specialities. Whilst the coaching may change some things, it's not going to change how the top players play an awful lot.

tmoney1101 and giddyup like this.
  3. giddyup

A long-term core player increasingly seems to be a vanishing species... Harden's run as our super-star was as long as about any in recent memory. I loved that Blazer championship in the 70's with Walton, Lucas et al.

4. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Yeah, there's not many of those one team guys anymore like the old days especially. I guess it's just another change in the game that whereas in the past your window with a star was often the majority of their career, these days it's likely to be a couple of contracts at best unless you win a ring or 2. I think if we'd won a ring in 2018, Harden doesn't leave and probably retires here. For better or worse, that's the situation we're in. Hopefully our next star will see enough success that we'll have them for a long time.

giddyup likes this.
  5. VoR

VoR Member

Well, with the way the game is evolving, you’ll need a stretch big regardless of the coach.

giddyup likes this.
  6. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

how about 'for fit' meaning dont draft a diva asshat... lol

Personally, i think more consideration should be given to character... most often character issues are overlooked for 'talent' and 'potential'.... but really imo having guys with the right mindset is paramount to building a solid team... or you end up with a Royce White...

i just hope we dont draft a douche...

i've had enough rationalizing and justifying jerkwad behavior over the last few years to last me a lifetime...

lol

Dobbizzle and giddyup like this.
  7. VoR

VoR Member

Overall, I think it’s a promising sign that Tilman is loyal. He didn’t hire Silas just to do him dirty.

8. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Why bring in a coach if you don't give him players that fit his system?

Was John Lucas made to be a patsy or fall guy in Cleveland and Philly?

Is Silas made to be a fall guy here in Houston?

This is why I said hire the Vipers coach Abdelfattah. We were playing small as
    5-men out isolation B-Ball. Required little to no big men for screening.

Bring in Silas and his system (which was rated the most efficient in NBA history)
    with little to no screeners? Wood set crappy screens....Cousins was decrepit.....
    Tucker has no hops........Spalding/Patton/Anthony Lamb were too raw.

As Bill Parcels said, "if you want me to cook the meal; at least let me shop for the
    ingredients.".

Jerry Glanville was asked about his young players and potential: "Potential, potential
    gets coaches fired!!!"

If the Rockets aren't going to try winning and get guys that can run the Silas system,
    then Silas might as well say bye-bye. The Rockets will put the blame on young
    Mr Silas.....just as the Cavs did with John Lucas as they tanked for LeBron James.

burlesk and fattz like this.
  9. HROZ

HROZ Member

I think fit can mean a few things.

One is if a team is had defensively. Last thing they want is to bring in another bad defender.

If a team has spacing issues then they would look for a someone who can hit the 3. Not someone who shoots the 3 at under 30% for example.

Obviously when you have a top 10 player, the realm identity will be different depending on the player you have.
    Giannis is a good example.
    Shooters surround him & he needs his 2nd & 3rd option to handle the ball in the 4th. If someone shot it badly there would be no reason to sign them.

Tbh I don't think anyone is a long term core player unless they are a top 10 player in the league.

LeBron Durant Curry Giannis Lillard Davis Embiid Jokic Leonard Doncic Harden

Or A young players
    Tatum Young Maront Williamson for example
    You can convince yourself he is going to be a top 10 player & you can build a championship team around him.

Though obviously certain ownership groups have different desires than other ownership groups.
    Some just want a profit/Some are fans and just want a 'ship/Some just can't afford to go into luxury tax territory.

10. ball king23

ball king23 Member

this being his first draft lets see who he bring in first before we make judgment on him

11. DonatelloLimestone

IT shouldn't
    It depends where your team is really
    but for a rebuilding team like us, as weaver says....they all fit
    we ned the best player available, we need to consolidate whatever talent we can

sadly, I like silas, but history has shown on rebuilding contracts he won't get renewed on year 4 and will have a terrible record for the rebuilding job we did
    IF you're a team a piece or two a way, you really heavily consider fit. If you're at the bottom of the league with a young team, rookie coach, rookie gm, you get the best player available

and thats what it is

but you'll get a variety of opinions, some out here run this like the stock market, they are only seemingly concerned with winning on a budget or saving the owner money

some want excitement and a fun marketable player

some want to win and are willing to build a sensible foundation to do so

what I'm learning here is the diversity of rockets fans. We got some harden only fans, some morey only fans, oddly enough we got some tilman only fans. In theory if we're rooting for morey, silas, stone, or whoever..their benefit lies with ours, we win, we do well, everyone goes home happy and engaged. But with the owner his benefit isn't always with ours, sometimes his money savings outweight the marginal benefit to win, especially in billionaries game with growing money like the NBA, so its particularly curious to root for this dude especially when he lies publicly.

I do get there are times to cost cut, save for future flexiblity and cap situation, none of the moves we did that though it was more of CHris paul Doesnt Know what He's talking about, Hardens lazy, or what difference would ariza make, 0-12....I'm not sure if those guys were watching PJ tucker drop a 0 while playing close to 40 minutes and taking home the ring and given enough clout to have a speech in the podium bc some people get its beyond the box score...if those guys were bucks fans they'd be screaming ,0 points old, we dont want to spend on him, save your money larsy...and the bucks would be having a different conversation now

12. giddyup

I was watching one of the mock draft shows. Someone picked Scottie Barnes for the Warriors at 1-7. The other "expert" mocked the choice saying that "Barnes and Draymond Green couldn't be on the floor together." This is the kind of micro-management of which I'm leery. Last time I looked there was a left and a right side of the court and room for five players. Why can't two multi-dimensional players "co-exist"?