1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rick Smith Vetoes Decision to Cut Mallett

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DieHard Rocket, Oct 27, 2015.

1. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Thought this deserved it's own thread, if someone can post the Chron article I'll put it in this post (I'm not a subscriber).

http://thebiglead.com/2015/10/26/bi...allett-got-overruled-by-texans-gm-rick-smith/

2. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Why is this even an issue? It would have been stupid to cut Mallett before the game. You can't go into an NFL game with 1 QB on the roster.

Really, with the DEEP DEEP problems this team/franchise has from top to bottom, I can't believe we're wasting so much time talking about Ryan freakin' Mallett.

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Yeah, as much as Mallet needs to go you can't go into a game with one QB

4. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Could have promoted Dysert off the practice squad...

5. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

steelers played sunday with only one qb and an emergency qb who was a wr

6. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Its not so much talking about Mallett. It is a deeper look into the dysfunction of the whole organization. They failed to get a player who can even show up on GAMEDAY barely. And its distracting the team apparently

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Dysert wasn't on the practice squad at the time, which is why BOB's reaction was so irresponsible and it's why Rick Smith had to put him in check.

8. Nimo

Nimo Member

Steelers had more time to prepare before the game on Sunday and had Tyler Murphy ready as the #2. It was not a gameday decision.

9. mick fry

mick fry Member

Oh brother, I guess this subject wasn't hashed out enough in other threads. :rolleyes:

10. Dirt Road

Dirt Road Member

Dysert has been and was on the practice squad. I think the right decision was to cut Mallett. This should cost Rick Smith his job.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

And had they needed to go to Murphy they would have looked ****ing stupid.

12. Mr. Clutch

And they put a QB we're supposed to be developing in the IR

13. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

This.

Mallett is just the face of the issue; this is the first sign that we have that more than just the fan-base is deeply displeased with Rick. Someone from the coaching staff had to have leaked this.

14. Nimo

Nimo Member

Knowing how the game turned out, yes. But they were expecting to be competitive. If Hoyer had gotten hurt in a one touchdown game and you were down to Dysert. That's just not fair to the rest of the team.

15. Mr. Clutch

BOB trying to save his job

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

This should cost both Rick Smith and BOB their jobs. Rick Smith hired BOB who completely bungled pretty much everything since he's been here. BOB vouched for Mallett who was known to have immaturity issues.....but BOB had Rick Smith trade for him anyway. Anyone who watches football could tell you that Brian Hoyer is awful at being a QB.....but BOB had Rick Smith bring him in anyway.

This whole mess is on BOB...and indirectly on Rick Smith for hiring him in the first place. It's time to totally clean house.

17. Nimo

Nimo Member

Not to mention the only ILB that can cover.

18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Well so much for Patriots culture.

The culture here is anything but.

Players not held accountable, players quiting, leaks springing out about coach/gm relationships.

19. Mr. Clutch

What we need is someone who will come in and build around Mallet

1 person likes this.
  20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Here's why it's an issue:

1. We've been told that BOB has complete control over the roster. Apparently, that's not true. We can no longer say that Rick has nothing to do with the roster.

2. Reasonable to assume there's friction between Rick and BOB over this.

3. I think all of this is indicative of the DEEP DEEP problems this team/franchise has, honestly. We just learned a little more about it than we knew before.

4. Mallett has to go! Not because of how he plays the position...but because there's zero integrity in keeping a guy like this when you're holding everyone else to the "be a good teammate" standard first and foremost.

5. BOB has been undermined. A lot of that is on him...he's been wishy washy...he's preached this "good teammate" stuff and when he tried to enforce it he was told from management that he couldn't. The Texans already looked like a team where the coach had lost them...I think this potentially makes it worse.

6. The leaks are a problem.

Overall, this is just a terribly run organization. I don't care if you go in to that game with no backup QB...building a real culture for this bunch is far more important that having a legit backup QB for one game. Sometimes you pull a Hoosiers and say, "my team is on the court" because the bigger point is more important than the insurance policy of Ryan Mallett as a backup.