1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

richard jefferson, is he really that good?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by UTmo, Dec 14, 2002.

1. UTmo

UTmo Contributing Member

richard jefferson i think is highly overrated. in the rockets section i hear mention of many people wanting to trade for him blah blah blah.
    i think richard jefferson is an extremely athletic player who just happens to be on the same team as jason kidd. jason kidd could make anyone good, hell, name one person he couldnt make better.
    but thats beside the point. does anyone else think that rich jefferson is overrated, or am i alone here...?

2. Bailey

Bailey Veteran Member

Hmm, let me consult my NBA players manual...

Jefferson, Richard: (SG/SF)

See Anderson, Shandon.

:D

3. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

Is he over rated? I never thought people liked him that much. Playing with Kidd has helped him alot, but you can't say he does not have talent. I personaly think the Nets got the better part of the deal when the Rockets traded him for Griffin, so I think he is realy that good.

4. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

:D

Right on...

5. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

Uhh....yeah, you people wish.

He is going to be an all-star player. It's that simple.

6. napster

napster Member

all-star? talk about homer...

7. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

that jefferson can run real fast in a straight line. he can make open layups with the best of em. that spells all-star in my book.:rolleyes:

8. baller1227

baller1227 Member

say WHAT? jefferson all-star? he may have kidd on his team but he's not that good. and who else thinks that NJ got the better end of the deal? i mean eddie griffin is still young as hell and has developing to do but he can be good if he tries. just look at Kenny Thomas. if we can get griffin to work that hard, he's gonna be better than jefferson in no time.
    NJ does seem to have gotten the better end of the deal so far but they are both young and jefferson has kidd (i cant emphasize kidd enough).

9. PiPdAdY33

PiPdAdY33 Member

One word
    NO

10. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

Please shut up with all the Eddie is too young crap. You think just be cause Jefferson is 22 and Griffin is 20 makes a big difference? The bottom line is Griffin has shown nothing on the court, not even flashes of what is to come in the future other than 3 pointers and blocks. I'm a Rockets fan and and hope Griffin becomes a great player, but the Nets got the better player in the deal.

11. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Jefferson will be an all-star at one point. I'm not saying he will make 15 A-S games, but he will be a 17 ppg type of guy, who plays good defense. He is the prototype SF to go with Kidd.

And yes, he's light years ahead of EG at this point.

12. napster

napster Member

Is he better than EG? Duh.

Is he an all-star type player? no.

13. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Yes.

The difference between one year of college basketball and three years of college ball (and playing with Jason Kidd in the pros) is huge. I'm not the biggest fan of EG, but damn, trading Jefferson for Griffin is a no-brainer.

14. sun12

sun12 Member

I do not know why people are so high on EG?
    The guy can not dribble, but more importantly, he is absolutely afraid of getting inside. He is not a banger. For a PF, what's that?

So what if he gains another 20 pounds? well, first of all, it will slow him down. Secondly, I seriously doubt he will want to get inside!

15. University Blue

In the words of heatnik, contemporary philosopher, Amare Stoudemire, "Let's not get carried away, The Cat."

University (Trademire) Blue

16. Launch Pad

Launch Pad Contributing Member

When did this topic switch to a discussion about Robert Horry? :p

17. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

HUH? you just contradicted yourself in one sentence. how can he show nothing at all except for blocks? that's something right there, ass. his shot-blocking instinct is as good as ANYONE in the league. he needs to bulk up a bit and learn to dribble but he is on a comparable pace to any other player his age. look up the stats.

i think both teams made out the way they wanted. jefferson is a good player with jason kidd and probably a good player without him, but either way he would not look remotely like that with the rockets. we made a gamble for the younger guy and someone who's easily a better fit and maybe someday a better player.

18. UTmo

UTmo Contributing Member

i agree that jefferson is good with kidd and that someday griffin MIGHT be good. but its true that jefferson is a perfect fit for the nets, an extremely athletic and quick 3 with the ability to finish off the kidd passes.

19. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

Cato has great shot blocking instincts.......

EG right now only has one facet of his game going....ever. Weak side shot blocking.

He can NOT play D straight up against PF's in the West. He gets dominated oftenly enough to prove this theory.

I too hope he comes around, but right now, NJ got the steal in this trade. EG hasnt shown any inkling of progress from last year. Im a tad worried. Ive said from the day we drafted him that he was going to be better suited to play the 3, and every day that he lingers at the three point line he proves this to me.

20. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

If anyone saw the game last night, Griffin was a huge part of that win. For people to say he has shown nothing is ridiculous. The guy is only 20 yrs old and obviously has a lot of physical maturity left. I still say that the skys the limit and we will not regret the trade.