1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Reverand Napolean Kaufman

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Vengeance, Apr 11, 2001.

1. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

<blockquote><center>Kaufman Retires to Pursue Ministry</center>

Associated Press

OAKLAND, Calif. -- The Raiders might not have been surprised by the news, but halfback Napoleon Kaufman announced his retirement Wednesday so that he can devote his life to his ministry.

An ordained minister, Kaufman has contemplated retirement the past two seasons. He was scheduled to make $2.5 million this year in what was the final year of his contract.

In a brief statement released by his agent, Cameron Foster, Kaufman ended his six-year career with the Raiders, who drafted him out of Washington in 1995 with the 18th overall pick.

"For no other reason but to spend more time with his wife, their children, the community and his ministry, Napoleon Kaufman ... has decided to hang up his cleats and move on to the next chapter in his life," the statement said.

Kaufman, 27, rushed for 499 yards on a career-low 93 carries as Tyrone Wheatley's backup last season. He also had 127 yards receiving while battling leg injuries that caused him to miss two games and limited his play in others.

He rushed for 4,792 yards and 12 touchdowns on 978 career carries.

Foster said Kaufman has been reconsidering his life priorities for months. When he signed a two-year contract with Oakland before last season, Foster included a clause that allowed Kaufman to keep his entire $2.5 million signing bonus if he decided to retire.

"The thought process has been in his mind for a good year," Foster said. "He loves football, but I guess he loves ministering more."

Foster said Kaufman, who wasn't available for comment, will discuss his decision later this week.

The Raiders have been pursuing San Francisco free-agent running back Charlie Garner in recent weeks. There were rumors that Oakland planned to release Kaufman, who was scheduled to make $2.5 million in 2001, if a deal with Garner can be reached, but team officials have not confirmed them.

Last month, the Raiders also re-signed veteran running back Terry Kirby, who joined the team late last season and helped Oakland reach the AFC championship game.

Kaufman, who was known for reading his Bible in the Raiders' locker room, was an effective running back despite his small stature (5-foot-9, 185 pounds) in comparison to the 235-pound Wheatley.

Raiders coach Jon Gruden, who often described his team's running game as a committee, enjoyed changing a game's pace by swapping his running backs.

Oakland had one of the NFL's best rushing offenses with Wheatley, Kaufman and quarterback Rich Gannon. The Raiders rushed for 2,470 yards last season, nearly 1,000 more yards than their opponents.

Information from ESPN.com's John Clayton was used in this report.

<hr>

I really respect this guy, after taking such a bold move. It's a nice breath of fresh air in the seemingly crowded "millionaire crybaby" department.

<a href="http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/2001/0411/1171622.html">Story is here</a>

------------------
    "Up and down, inside out, outside in, some you lose some you win"
    -- DMB -&gt; "Sweet Up and Down"

2. Band Geek Mobster

That's 2 running backs that passed up the cash just b/c of their passion to do something more meaningful than play a game.

I respect his decision.

Something tells me Oakland fan's pissed though.

3. Steve_Francis_rules

It's nice to see a player who realizes some things are more important than his sport.

------------------

4. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

Can we get that clause in our contracts?

------------------
    Time is a great teacher-- only problem is it kills all its pupils.
    PowerbizOnline.com

5. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Very interesting. Kaufman was very young, and didn't have alot of pounding so far in the NFL. He's passing up tens of millions of bucks.

Of course if he wanted to he could have just pursued his ministry during the offseasons, like Reggie White did. But you can hardly fault the guy for making the choice that he did.

------------------
    I'm about to boldly go where many men have gone before.

6. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Wow. Good for him. Although I will miss watching him run. I thought he was very exciting to watch on the football field.

------------------
    "Blues is a Healer"
    --John Lee Hooker

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I can't fault him but you know
    I think he could do more GOOD *in* the NFL
    ministering to his fellow players
    than
    out of it. . . .

Sometimes two passions can merge.
    I wish him well.

Rocket River

------------------

8. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Who is the other RB?

Never mind, Robert Smith...sorry.

------------------
    Whitey will pay.

[This message has been edited by rimbaud (edited April 12, 2001).]

9. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Plus now we can sign Charlie Garner [​IMG] .

I love it when I'm right .

------------------
    http://bbs.babitze.com

[This message has been edited by moestavern19 (edited April 13, 2001).]

10. Steve_Francis_rules

I don't think he could do any more good in the NFL than out of it. Players in the NFL are not more in need of religious ministry than members of the ordinary population.

------------------

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

True . . .
    Just that alot of them can use it

Rocket River

------------------