1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rent Going Up? One Company’s Algorithm Could Be Why.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by fchowd0311, Nov 10, 2022.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

https://www.propublica.org/article/yieldstar-rent-increase-realpage-rent

Interesting article. Most mainstream publications seem to only tackle the lack of supply due to zoning restrictions and NIMBY policies. They are definitely part of the problem but if someone is pushing an agenda that it is the only problem, odds are that person is somehow involved in real estate development as in there is self interest in painting that as the only problem. They definitely don't want the public to think that price fixing is also a problem.

One of the most telling aspects in this article is an employee of Yeildstar just saying it out loud that the goal is to remove empathy from price negotiations. The premise is that landlords aren't maximizing their revenue by having face to face negotiations because often that involves some level of empathy. Replacing that with an algorithm where a landlord can just point to it and say "but this is what the market tells me" removed that empathy factor.

I don't see how this isn't a cartel. Landlords jack up the price, algorithms show that and then everyone follows suit. And there is no end to it until societal breakdown because housing has inelastic demand. So if every 2 bedroom apartment is 2800 dollars a month, what choice does a family have? They need a ****ing roof right?

It seems like capitalism and housing don't mix well.

#1 fchowd0311, Nov 10, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2022
    jiggyfly likes this.
  2. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

This is the dark side of tech where we chase efficiency / root out inefficiencies in the free markets that directly leads to negative societal outcomes.

For example, a parallel team in one of my previous positions worked around rooting out inefficiencies in call centers using metrics, facial, and call tracking software. **** was incredibly dehumanizing and depressing.

I think the worst parts of this are working for software that can kill people directly (either from negligence or because the software is defense-related). Some people compartmentalize this well, but its definitely something I have to stop myself from thinking about from time to time.

jiggyfly and fchowd0311 like this.
  3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

IIRC this is going to court for anti-trust/price-fixing/collusion.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

As a landlord I'm coo with this. I'm a NICE landlord too. Fix **** asap. Yall anti-landlord people on a witch hunt. Go after Blackrock not us mom & pop landlords.

5. fchowd0311

I understand that it's a very human thing to want to maximize your return on investment. I don't think you are some inherent evil or anything. I think you are taking advantage of a system that most of us would if we were also in your position. I don't want to you to feel threatened.

I just don't want price negotiations for a inelastic product being based on algorithms that allow proce fixing.

6. King1

King1 Contributing Member

He doesn't understand business. Waste of time

7. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

This is really not a secret.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  8. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

It's not going to court and it's not the cause of rent prices across the board. It's simple economics 101: supply and demand. As a landlord, your taxes and insurance go up based on property values. You have to raise rates. It's that simple. Do people expect you to give them something for free? It's a business. If your investment triples in value in three years, you sell. The next person has to make a profit, but their mortgage is higher so they have to charge more rent. This is how capitalism works.

Here's what I do: Good credit, correct income and good background = you can rent from me. That way I don't get people who always cry and complain about prices. My tenants are responsible adults who can afford what they want. It's that simple.

I also offer best product best price. Empty house = lost money. I'd rather not make $50 more a month than wait three months to fill the house.

The solution is simple: If you can't afford a house in a certain area, you need to move elsewhere with lower rent or get a different job, get a raise or a second job.

Astrodome likes this.
  9. fchowd0311

It's not a secret in the sense that people with some curiosity on this matter can easily find this out.

But if someone just consumed mainstream coverage of the current problem with rising rent, they would assume the only issue is NIMBYism and zoning restrictions( lack of supply)

10. fchowd0311

It definitely is a significant part of the rise of rent.

You don't need an algorithmic software that allows basically a cartel form of price fixing to offset any rise in your property tax. You can determine the proper value on your own without any of this software.

People who work for this company literally are telling you that the point of the software is to remove empathy from the equation.

jiggyfly likes this.
  11. Space Ghost

That is the immediate problem but supply and demand usually fix this.

The bigger problem is it creates a housing bubble. It creates artificial demand that leads to over expansion in new apartment complexes. Apartment complexes all over are increasing rent when they have high vacancy rates. They can last for the time being as they are living on cheap debt.

jiggyfly likes this.
  12. fchowd0311

Also if you think there isn't any precedent here that this is completely illegal, The DOJ deemed the exact same thing that was done with Alaskan Airlines and their algorithmic software as illegal price fixing.

Even more, the exact same people who were with Alaskan Airlines who developed that program are the same people who created Yeildstar with the exact same premise.

13. Space Ghost

Sure. Its essentially price fixing. Training a piece of software to do a few easy tasks a human can do is not that difficult. But then to turn around and say "well we didn't come up with those numbers, the software did" is a lame ass cop out.

fchowd0311 and jiggyfly like this.
  14. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

it’s a private company, no? It can do what it wants. Empathy’s got nothing to do with it. If people don’t like their rent they can go build a Thoreau hut for themselves in the woods

15. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

It's up to you to use that excuse....and it's valid. I use software to determine rent rates. It gets rates from x radius for y house type and gives me an average. But I don't say 'that's the software!' I say 'It's the market'. People know that. And as I pointed out, responsible people understand it.

Look, if you can't afford where you live, you're too poor. If you're too poor, there are two things you can do: accept it and move to an area with the other poors or get your **** together, hustle and move up. You can do that by making more money or cutting costs, or a combination of both. There's no need to drive a $100k car if you can't afford rent. Sell that **** and get a beater. Stop going out to eat. Don't buy a new Samsung TV every year. This **** isn't complicated.

16. fchowd0311

If you want to create algorithmoloc price fixing software for Pokemon cards or Bourbon, go for it. There is no immorality there.

But we are talking about ****ing HOUSING

#16 fchowd0311, Nov 10, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2022
    AkeemTheDreem86 likes this.
  17. fchowd0311

This entire time I'm making fun of your hypocrisy.

The difference here is I believe housing is inelastic and a necessity to live and that your tweet about Hunter Biden on Twitter is not a basic necessity for sustained living.

18. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

read Walden, honestly. The whole point of the book is to help people help themselves and quit b****ing about how unfair life is

19. fchowd0311

that's the part you don't get.

If there is a nation wide algorithm for price fixing, you can't escape it. Rent has been going up in even those "poor places" because of this.

Housing is inelastic in demand. That means a group of landlords in an area can arbitrarily shoot up their prices and then the algorithm will think that's part of the market and then every other property shoots up in value.

That's what price fixing is.

Literally the DOJ found this exact same scheme illegal with airline pricing.

And last time I checked housing is more inelastic in demand than traveling through air.

AkeemTheDreem86 likes this.
  20. fchowd0311

Why do right wingers always assume when someone is advocating against some type of unsustainable trend as self interest? Is it projection?

b****, I have a more profitable profession than you.

I don't need empathy from you. All I need to do is convince you that this isn't sustainable society wide.