1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Remake]We Are The World 25

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jeffvangundy, Feb 13, 2010.

Tags:
  1. jeffvangundy

jeffvangundy Member

<object width="448" height="374"><param name="movie" value="http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/e/16711680/wshh93If4408g2g1946A"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/e/16711680/wshh93If4408g2g1946A" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" width="448" height="374"></embed></object>

To buy and donate to Haiti
    http://wearetheworldfoundation.org/

2. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Meh. Totally illegitimate. I do not see Ed Droste from Grizzly Bear nor Zach Condon from Beirut. What is this? A show for puppets?

3. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

When I first heard of this I thought the rap would sound the most out of place but the auto-tune Lil Wayne/T-pain/Akon medley really caught me off guard.

4. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

I cant stand that little kid who started off the song. Who is he and where the hell did he come from?? :confused:

5. StaticC4

StaticC4 Member

That little boy is Justin Bieber a 15-16 year old Canadian boy :mad: It makes me angry to know me and him are from the same country

6. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Is this proof that the talent level of our musical celebrities has declined in the last 25 years?

7. Adham93

Adham93 Member

No, It's definitely more creative than it used to be. I also liked that Kanye threw some words in.

8. Isabel

Isabel Member

This song was cheesy in 1985 and has not improved with age. Could they seriously not come up with anything better than that? And of course, with so many celebrities at once, it's like the All-Star game... everyone wants to be a star, no one wants to be in the chorus. Sounds like a train wreck. But, whatever.

9. Nashvegas

Nashvegas Contributing Member

I thought the auto tune part stunk, as did the Ray Charles impersonation from Jamie Foxx. I did like the MJ part, thought that was a nice touch.

10. Ron from the G

Ron from the G Contributing Member

I was really feeling it and then the auto tune came in. Then more auto tune. Then the rappers. I'm a big fan of hip hop, but rap doesn't have a place in a song like We Are The World and auto tune certainly has no place in this type of song. Geez what were they thinking. Besides those parts though man that Jennifer Hudson has a pair of lungs on her.

11. Cannonball

How exactly is it more creative? They just updated the beat, added in a rap section, and used auto-tune for the "artists" who can't sing. Otherwise, it's the same musically.

It seemed a bit mismanaged to me. The order of the soloists wasn't as good as it could have been. For instance, Fergie didn't sound bad but they put her right after Celine Dion who has an amazingly powerful voice. By comparison, it made Fergie sound weak. It would have been better to have Celine sing the last part of a verse leading into a chorus. And putting all of the auto tune stuff together was annoying. Spreading it out a little throughout the song would have diminished the effect a little.

In the original, Bob Dylan was probably the worst singer so they gave him a bit by himself, isolated from the rest of the soloists. They didn't pit him directly next to Stevie Wonder.

Another thing that irked me is that I found out Nancy Wilson, my favorite female jazz vocalists, was actually in the chorus. I guarantee you she's a better vocalist than any of the soloists but she was reduced to being in the chorus.

12. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

Are you sure you aren't confusing Nancy Wilson with Nancy Wilson? Or were both Nancy Wilsons there?

Other than that, I agree with your analysis. Musically, it was uninspired. A good remake should take the original song and make it feel new. This just felt rehashed. The new sections (auto-tune, hip-hop/rap) sounded contrived. The vocalists were obviously of lower quality and stature than the original. Overall, a very lackluster song.

13. Cannonball

Oops, you're right. You know me, I'm a student of jazz so when I saw the name, I only thought of the jazz singer.

14. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

Hey, man, I agree with you: I know many jazz fans may consider this blasphemy, but I'll take Nancy Wilson over Ella every day of the week. She just had/has such a smooth, controlled voice. To be honest, I'm surprised EITHER Nancy Wilson was involved with this "performance".

15. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I saw it last night before the Opening Ceremonies.

Simply Awful.

It sounded like they had Autotune on everyone even Barbara Streisand.

16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Compare.

Steve Wonder
    Bruce
    Ray Charles
    Willie
    MJ

to

Miley cyrus
    Justin Berber (don't know his name)
    Jamie fox
    Kim Kardasian

17. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

An unplugged version with fewer, honest-to-goodness superstars across more genres would have been more compelling. Although Wyclef was really selling it, Jennifer Hudson did well, Pink has a deceptively good voice and Toni Braxton (?) still looks amazing.

18. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Didn't care for the MJ stuff. The Ray Charles thing was annoying as well, Foxx is a very well-rounded guy (learned cello for that Crazy Homeless Guy movie) and a decent enough actor, but sometimes I don't know where his head is at.

19. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I thought that was just some foreign chick at first. Good for her if she can actually sing, but yes, ultimately pretty delegitimizing. But she is cute.

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Did I just hear

"when the floor breaks a Magic Carpet to stand on"

ROFLMAO!!!