1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Relief or Belief? Who Believes?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GMNot, Apr 26, 2004.

1. GMNot

GMNot Member

An hour before sitting down to watch Game 7 number 2 -- Game 4 by the playoff schedule -- I had a strange feeling of calm resignation. I was really thinking, "Well, they may lose this one but it won't be as bad as if they had lost their first home game in this series. I was wrong. This hurts bad -- worse than the Game 1 loss -- and for pretty much the same reason. They just can't seem to get beyond what the are: a #7 seed who can't unshackle themselves from the "little" mistakes and blown opportunities, here and there, which add up to one "big" loss.

Van Gundy said this game was about Relief or Belief. I think the question now is WHO? believes at this point?

In just about every sports contest you can see a trend or "personality" develop to the game and series -- heck to a whole season. You just know when it's going to be a grind it out sort of ordeal. That became obvious in the first few minutes of the 3rd quarter of Game 4. And my gut reaction was blurted out to my wife as the Laker's went up by 7 points, "They've lost this game." Instead of rising above their mediocre habits as they did in Game 3, they slipped back into their "struggle" mode. When they went up 4 points with a little over 2 minutes left in overtime only to lose, it only underscored their season. And the sad thing is, the further a team moves into the post-season, the more bitter the exit when it finally happens. Because there are no guarantees of a linear progression every season until you win a championship. We all WANT to believe that way, but so many factors, like injuries and illness, are out of a team's control. This is why a Jimmy Jackson or an Erik Piatkowski understands the value of ANY playoff opportunity. The Rockets have squandered two of them so far. And now the third time will be anything but a charm.

Part of me wants to go off on all the maddening, frustrating "little" things that keep this team from being what they could be. But most of me is just sad -- really sad. :(

Probably none of us feel relieved at this point. Just sad. So who believes?

I doubt fans are very confident at this point -- can we win 3 in row? Highly unlikely given the team's "personality". And "believing" can only have substance if it rests on confidence. Over a 7 game series a team's true nature will prevail.

Do the players believe? They might if they had "been there and done that" before. But they don't have any experience like that to get in tune with and call forth.

Do the coaches believe? They more than anybody know (or don't as the case may be) the "personality" of this team. Why did Van Gundy so often this season say he didn't know how his team was going to come out in the next game after losses?

I think at this point you throw relief and belief aside. As a team you're not going to become anything other than what you are, in a couple of days. You may as well play wide open and as if there's nothing to lose. Unfortunately, the Lakers are the ones with "games to burn" at this point. But if you are going to go down in flames then at least let the other team have the scars to show they fought a fire. Who knows they might even get one more chance to play at home and take the bad taste out of the mouth's of Houston fans.

As with most Rocket teams over the years, they seem to respond to having their backs against the wall. No one has to figuratively call each game a "Game 7" anymore... it's real now, Bubba.

I don't question their heart. I question their nature.

That's one thing I can, unfortunately, believe in.

2. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Great post from a literary perspective, but I don't share your pessimism. You're probably the same people that thought we were finished against phoenix a few years back, I still think they can comeback, it'd be hard, but if Kobe gets into a bad trial problem in game 5 and we can win it at LA, then steal one at home in in game 6, it's anybodys game.

3. GMNot

GMNot Member

Well, sometimes realism sounds pessimistic.

I think my main comment is/was:

I think at this point you throw relief and belief aside. As a team you're not going to become anything other than what you are, in a couple of days. You may as well play wide open and as if there's nothing to lose. Unfortunately, the Lakers are the ones with "games to burn" at this point. But if you are going to go down in flames then at least let the other team have the scars to show they fought a fire. Who knows they might even get one more chance to play at home and take the bad taste out of the mouth's of Houston fans.

4. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Nicely stated....but in the end, it is just another pessimistic post describing how it just wont happen cause the team basically sucks.

All that is required for this team is to steal the next one in LA...and come home with the desire and willpower to take care of business on their home court....then it comes down to one game.....one game against a team where it is always possible to pull out a win....we know their weaknesses....we know how to beat them....and on any given night, the right Rockets team can show up to exploit those weaknesses.

As long as there is a chance in hell.......

I ALWAYS BELIEVE!

it is what being a fan is all about.

5. GMNot

GMNot Member

I'd love nothing more than for the Rockets to be the team to remove the Lakers from the playoffs! I wouldn't have felt so down about today's loss if I didn't WANT them to win. I'm only saying based on the experience of a whole season and now 4 playoff games under our belt, I can't say I BELIEVE with CONFIDENCE. ;)

I was trying to convey that relief and belief are to mental at this point. The team needs to play with FIRE!... or let the other team know THEY have.