1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Regarding the banning policy on Clutch BBS

Discussion in 'ClutchFans Feedback' started by CRC, Sep 7, 2003.

1. CRC

CRC Member

I apologize in advance that I started a thread like this, but I guess I'm just a little confused about the banning policies here on the Clutch BBS & would like to get an answer/clarification on some of the issues.

There is a longtime member (with a 1 digit registration number) just got banned today. I've been in contact with him & I was a bit shocked when I heard about his situation. Just like the banned member himself I don't quite understand what the problem is. Would the admins/mods care to explain?

I feel if the mods could give us warnings about the things we shouldn't do here I'm sure we'll obey... but sometimes I guess a number of us (I think that's most of the people here) are not quite sure exactly what the rules are & whether we've crossed the line on things that are not so obvious... Under such cirtumstances I wish our admins/mods could explain it to us so we have a mutual understanding on how to be a good model citizen here.

I've noticed the thread which the banned member participated in today has already been removed, but I hope that our mods could kindly reconsider the decision regarding him. That very member is a loyal supporter of the clutchcity.net & a valuable contributer here on the bbs & I'm sure most of the members here would hate to see him go.

Again, I would like to say that I have nothing against the admins/mods & I appreciate very much for all your effort/hard work here. Now, please don't ban me because of this thread, thank you! :p

#1 CRC, Sep 7, 2003
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2003
  2. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

I agree. It's come to the point where I am <I>scared</I> to post anything that might be regarded controversial in some way. I'm afraid that I'll be banned and that I'll disappear, with all my posts and any record of me erased. I'm not ashamed to say that CC.net has become a major part of my internet life. It's become a community. It's a bit of a shame, as the member talked about here has been a poster for a very long time. I've known him ever since the old days here at CC.Net, and it makes me quite sad that such a person could be banned without any further consideration. As far as I know, he was not given warning to reconsider his posts. I suppose what he said was a bit cheeky, but can't he be given another chance? Specially if you consider his track record.

I'm not sure about anything anyway, not anymore. I don't know who is telling the truth or what is going on behind the scenes. Have angry emails been exchanged? Has a thread come only to disappear minutes later? Have I missed something, basically?

Heck, I've even deleted my own signature in fear.

3. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

You know there are 2 easy solutions to this:

1.) To POSTERS - Don't post anything you think might get banned.

2.) To MODERATORS - Take away posting privileges, but allow lurking abilities. Really, if there is a way to do this, it would solve a lot. Most of the registered members on this site (that still visit here) do not post ever. Theoretically, it could save bandwidth at the same time. It wouldn't cause bitter feelings toward you guys if they aren't banned. They still know what's going on instead of being shut out.

4. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

That's the point. We don't know what is wrong sometimes. I think most would not want to be banned and so therefore are moderately careful.

Hmm... that would not actually save considerably in terms of bandwidth. People would still be requesting the information within the threads and so therefore drawing from resources.

5. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Who got banned? This is not exactly Nazi Germany. I think its okay to mention the name right?

6. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

He hates Seattle.

7. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Dayum! AntiSonic got banned? Which forum was he arguing in?

8. BBnP4l

BBnP4l Member

He mentioned he who must not be named.

9. RocketsNLPFan

RocketsNLPFan Member

i know that there are a couple posters with 2000+ posts that have been banned and have never been unbanned, which i think is dumb.

10. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

:confused:

11. BBnP4l

BBnP4l Member

I know of a whole bunch of banned users, but this is a private BBS and the owner has full control not the user.

12. RocketsNLPFan

RocketsNLPFan Member

yeah that's true, but i mean when someone like anti sonic or someone that spends a whole lot of time at a place is banned cause of one small thing, that's not cool.

13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Say it ain't so!!!

14. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

AntiSonic is a good person.

Liberate him.

15. BBnP4l

BBnP4l Member

Kam, so were the rest of them(eg TheReasonSF3, Devestata, Azadre, Ninja Sauce X, DiSeAsEd MoNkEy, and YoYao). This is between Clutch and AntiSonic. We should all let it go and hope for the best.

16. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

I'll second that.

Let my people go.... ;)

17. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I think it is important to understand that most posters do not see the whole story behind someone being banned. In most cases, it is a troll or beligerent poster that deserves it.

In the case of long-time or well-known posters, it is VERY likely that it goes well beyond a single post on here.

I don't know the story with Anti-Sonic but I know that there have been guys who got banned after many, MANY problems created on the BBS. Unfortunately, unlike the moderators, most posters don't keep track or, at times, even see the problems in question.

In fact, many threads and posts that are considered a problem or inappropriate are removed before the majority of people ever get a chance to see them.

It is pretty easy to figure what will get you the axe here. Profanity-laced tirades, un-real calling out of posters, constant pimping of other sites, consistently dis-respecting others, trolling, spamming, etc. There is no mystery.

But, don't simply assume that when someone got banned it is only because of one post, especially when it is a poster who has been here for a long time. Chances are, there is a LOT more to the story than you are seeing.

And, don't be surprised if you don't get an explanation. It's tough enough to moderate the board as it is. Having to explain every action taken by the admins would be a waste of time and bandwidth.

18. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I've never even seen AntiSonic argue or be confrontational?! What happened in that thread? I'm completely lost.

19. CRC

CRC Member

Jeff, thanks for the explanation. I fully understand what you are saying, but my question is - Does AntiSonic deserves the banning status because of the following:

Here is a quote from AntiSonic in another BBS:

Someone asked if the link to here had been posted and I replied that it had been twice and both times were deleted. "The YoYao coverup continues." I'm assuming pointing that out pissed them off.

CRC- yeah, I figured that I would've at least gotten the courtesy of a "piss off" email...

#19 CRC, Sep 8, 2003
  20. Friendly Fan

Friendly Fan PinetreeFM60 Exposed

It's all how you think about it.

One man owns this place. He's the proprietor. He appoints people who have the task of monitoring all the daily traffic and assuring it complies with the owner's standards. Given the moderators I've observed, their tenure and their number of posts, it is clear that these are long term relationships they have with the owner. They are his crew.

This is like Clutch's bar, and these are his bartenders and bouncers. If they are looking to bust heads, I haven't seen it yet. Admittedly, I'm a new guy, but life is pretty much the same everywhere. Business owners have people they trust, and anyone who gives those folks too much grief gets tossed. Being a pain in the azz to those who run the place is sufficient reason by itself to ban someone.

If a guy gets banned, he probably pressed something against the authority he really shouldn't have. If you hang your hams out the window at the man, don't be too surprised when he puts his foot up it.

I know that the natural inclination is to identify with the guy who suddenly disappears, but how can order be maintained without a few such disappearances? If anyone who is a moderator tells me to knock it off, he won't have to do it twice. I KNOW I'm an invitee here, a guest, not even a customer. Everyone needs to know and appreciate that.

There has to be a governor on conduct, and I'm sure those charged with the duty see ten times as much crap as most of us would imagine goes on.

The tenor of some here is more combative than I care for, and I tend to be a little impatient with those. They want to debate, and I don't see the value. If you haven't already made up your mind about most things by the time you're my age, you haven't been paying enough attention. So I gives what I gets on the negative, but if anyone connected to the site said COOL IT, I would do so immediately and without argument. And that should hold true now or when I have 10,000 posts.

Even in the best of bars, a regular gets tossed if he gets rowdy.

#20 Friendly Fan, Sep 8, 2003