1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(red alert) The Best receiver in the entire galaxy will be on rome today

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by conquistador#11, Oct 29, 2008.

1. conquistador#11

Yesterday, Kubiak said the following about andre:

" I've been around great receivers in the past, Jerry rice, Mccafrey but I'll tell you what...Andre is divine, a gift from god himself. What he is doing is something glorious. Teams try to adjust to him, so we've been moving him around more, and he has taken well to that.(scratches head)."

I'm paraphrasing of course, but that's how i remember it.

I'm sure it will be one epic interview. =)

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Intesting that Kubiak would say that, then you start to think... how good would Andre Johnson be with a great QB every year of his career?

I mean Jerry Rice is the studliest WR to ever play the game, but every 1000 yard season he put up he had an MVP winning QB chucking him the rock (Montana, Young, and in the golden years Gannon)

Look what happened to Randy Moss when he got paired up with Brady. T.O. has always had somebody that could get him the ball. Marvin Harrison has had Peyton Manning all but 1 year out of his career.

Cris Carter and Tim Brown are 2nd and 3rd on the all-time lists respectively and both of them had bad to above average QBs their entire careers. Brown had speed combined with incredible route running and knowledge of the defense, while Carter could catch a cold in the middle of the desert.

You look at Andre Johnson and he's got the size and physicality of a TO, the speed and route running of Tim Brown, the jumping and make-you-miss ability of a Randy Moss, and the hands of a young Cris Carter.

A complete receiver?

I think so.

3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

don't forget competent offensive coaches and improved talent around him. the texan coaches are doing a lot of different things with johnson; under the old regime, he lined up in the same space every down and opponents could collapse that side of the field.

also, with walter, daniels and now slaton, they texans have legitimate 2nd, 3rd and 4th options that can really hurt you - that's freeing up space tremedously on the field, and the coaches have been smart - and proactive - about getting him to those spaces.

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

That's what i've been saying, do you know he was a big east track champ, dude is like 6'3", 220

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

and not a prima donna either....a solid teammate, by every account i've ever read/heard. steve mckinney was on 1560 earlier this week talking about how great it was to play alongside him.

6. Hey Now!

i think johnson's upped his game considerably this year; but i still think he's missing this skill. and some of it is that opposing defenses are rotating to his side of the field, sure - so there're more defenders in his area.

but i'd like to see him break a game or two open, which he's never really done, and certainly not with any consistency. his 13.8 yds/catch is pedestrian, and he has just 8 catches of 20 or more yards - same as several players, including jason witten. and he's averaging 4.8 YAC, which is fairly average.

right now, and i've said this for years - he's the best possession receiver in football.

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

LOL, ric, as much as you like to rub mario williams in people's faces, just admit you've been wrong about him. the guy has always been this good

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

2003 NFL Draft

2 Charles Rogers WR Michigan State Detroit Lions
    3 Andre Johnson WR Miami (Fla.) Houston Texans

LOL.

9. msn

msn Member

Is some of that a function of the types of plays that are being run for him?

Additionally, it's hard for a receiver to break games open when his quarterback spends most of the game on his ass (see: 2003-2006).

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

he's always thrown to in traffic, yes he is their poccession receiver, he's even more valuable. I wish he would get more big plays, but he's opening up the big plays for his teamates, walters is tied for lead in the AFC in for receiving touchdowns touchdowns

11. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

Hes unbelievable.

No rants no dances. Despite 6 seasons of terrible football with terrible talent around him.

IMO hes done enough now for the Texans to retire #80 good role model/ better player.

Not to derail the thread but Crabtree reminds me of Andre.

12. raw10628

raw10628 Contributing Member

Has he already been on?

13. Hey Now!

and am i wrong about him how... since i'm (and have been) saying this exact same thing?: right now, and i've said this for years - he's the best possession receiver in football.

he's benefitting from infinitely better coaching and an upgrade in overall talent, including, but not limited to the QB (who, it should be pointed out, since you've decided to (as usual) make this personal, you think is only marginally better than sage rosenfels).

and i don't rub mario williams in anyone's face, pgabriel; you were just on the (way) wrong side of that one and aparently take it personally. i'd think you'd be used to it by now....

14. Hey Now!

i've never thought that was the issue; their gameplan, overall and specifically with johnson, was always too vanilla; too passive, regardless of the QB. it took kubiak a while, and he was dealing with a bad team in '06, but he's been exceptional at finding space for johnson. its sometimes hard to fathom how open he is. and notice how often the first play of the game is designed for him; they're making an effort to get him the ball.

but yes, teams definitely shade his way, so there're more people in his space. but teams do this with all the top receivers; johnson's YPC have always been pretty pedestrian.

he's catching the ball much better this year (and dating back to last year). i think the cloud of carr (TM) obscured a lot of his shortcomings as he was developing. for instance, that catch against miami this year? he didn't make those catches in the early part of his career.

15. yobod

yobod Member

so did anybody actually listen to the interview?

16. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I didn't hear it.

You know, as much as I love the guy, he is really a boring interview. Most guys with his approach (animal ON the field, quiet and reserved OFF the field) are.

Of course, given the choice, I'll take AJ over all the TO/Ocho Cinco types every Sunday of the week.

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

just like you think everyone critical of the texans is a vy fan, you don't like to admit how good johnson is/was because you know invalidate's your david carr defense.

i've never criticized the texans for taking mario with the caveat they were never going to draft a qb

pgabriel from april 06 while you were still moaning about reggie

mario williams is not so outlandish. a great de can anchor your entire defense for years.

#17 pgabriel, Oct 29, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2008
  18. conquistador#11

maybe it's the way that the western media has coined the term "possession receiver", but andre is not a 6'5 and slow. But if you mean possession receiver, as in the ball should be thrown at him on every possession, then i agree. =)

For those who are oppressed by their evil bosses and could not listen, i uploaded the audio:

andrejohnson and the so cal dood

still getting used to my windows wave converter thingy =/

19. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Ric, where do you rate Andre amongst the receivers in the NFL now?

You are claiming that youve called him the best possession receiver in the NFL for years, but a few weeks ago, you said:

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?p=3934428#post3934428

20. conquistador#11

he was actually laughing a lot and not that boring. He said that after dropping 2 tds against the titans, he looked at the man in the mirror, not the song, but at himself.
    Also said that the team learnt a valuable lesson in that tragic game versus the colts.

Oh yeah, that him being moved around and having to learn every wr position has been the main reason why he is Unbeetable.