1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rebuilding

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by sums41, Jul 2, 2004.

1. sums41

sums41 Contributing Member

I just got this article on the official Astros website. This in my opinion is very scary because it means that if we don't win it all or at least do decent in the playoffs(assuming we get in) the Astros as we know them are done. We could very well be the next Pirates or the next Expos. Every time we have made a trade this season it seems that managment and the whole organization is in panic mode. This, as a long time fan scares me because rebuilding is one of the hardest things to go through as a fan. Are we heading to rebuilding the team if the Astros don't get in the playoffs? If so, how will we handle rebuilding? Most of our top prospects have allready been traded. This is a though time to be an Astros fan.

This is the Article.

Astros likely not finished trading
    Left-handed reliever remains on team's wish list
    By Alyson Footer / MLB.com

Astros GM Gerry Hunsicker, who might be more aggressive than in past Julys, would like to shore up Houston's bullpen. (Alyson Footer/MLB.com)

HOUSTON -- While pulling off one of those last-minute deals in the 11th hour on July 31 adds an intriguing and dramatic flair, it's not a requirement that teams must wait until then to improve their clubs.
    Houston Astros general manager Gerry Hunsicker proved that when he nabbed center fielder Carlos Beltran from the Kansas City Royals five weeks before the deadline.

"Everybody focuses on the trade deadline as this magical time when teams make big trades," Hunsicker said. "Certainly that happens on occasion. Whether it's a week before the trading deadline or a month before the trading deadline, you're either going to make them or you're not."

The Beltran deal, which sent Octavio Dotel and catching prospect John Buck to Oakland (who turned around and shipped him to Kansas City), is likely the only splashy blockbuster trade the Astros will make. But that is not to say Hunsicker is done dealing.

"We were fortunate this year to make a very, very big trade a month before the trading deadline," he said. "In my mind, that increases the probability that we won't be doing much come trading deadline. However, a month is a long time and I don't know what kind of position this team is going to be in a month from now. I don't know that the injury status of the players will be, which would affect decisions regarding a trade at that time."

If Hunsicker conducts another trade, it will likey be for bullpen help, and Detroit's Ugueth Urbina and Oakland's Arthur Rhodes are two relievers rumored to be on the Astros' radar screen. Because of Hunsicker's desire for a left-hander, Rhodes might be the more prominent pursuit.

"We've made a couple changes to our bullpen already," Hunsicker said. "But as we move toward the trading deadline, I still believe the bullpen is probably our primary focus. Particularly, the left-handed reliever."

Complete Coverage >

Righty or lefty, Hunsicker is targeting veterans, as evidenced by the acquisition of right-hander David Weathers in a deal that shipped Richard Hidalgo to the Mets.

Right-hander Russ Springer, who pitched for Houston in 1997, recently joined the Triple-A New Orleans Zephyrs. He may be able to help in the final two months of the season.

"I just think you have a better chance of knowing what you're going to get with a veteran than you do a younger player," Hunsicker said. "The most talented young players aren't going to be on the trade block unless you're going to make a legitimate trade involving one of your top players for one of somebody else's."

The Astros do not have much wiggle room in that respect. Considering they are going to turn to many of their young players to fill out next year's roster, they are not in a great position to offer up many more future Major Leaguers for the sake of this year's club.

But the Astros also realize this is probably the last chance for a championship with the current group of veteran players. Roger Clemens might retire, Carlos Beltran will be a free agent and the club will have to decide if it wants to pick up options on the contracts of Jeff Kent and Craig Biggio. Only Andy Pettitte, Jeff Bagwell and Brad Ausmus are signed beyond this season.

With that in mind, Hunsicker may be more aggressive than he has in the past as the deadline approaches.

But if the Astros continue to underachieve, as they have for much of the last six weeks, could they turn into sellers instead of buyers on July 31?

"I don't like to think that way, obviously," Hunsicker said. "But I couldn't rule out a scenario where we might have to address that."

Alyson Footer is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

2. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

It is a strong possibility that this is the last hurrah for the Astros. Biggio and Kent are likely gone. Clemens may not return, even though he is the club MVP at this point. I have a strong gut feeling that this is Bagwell's last year. I am sure he would like to reach 500 homers, but from what I have read it would appear that his bad shoulder may prevent that. The Astros have had their shots and the best shots at a title were in the 90's. Their best shot was the year the acquired Randy Johnson.

3. Raven

Raven Member

I'd like to see Biggio offered the coaching job.

4. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

I would like to see the Astros make an offer to Beltran that will make all other incoming offers pale in comparison. If we could get Carlos signed, then bring up the youthful talent we have to surround him with the idea of making him the centerpiece; with our starting pitching we currently have with Oswalt and Pettitte and Buchholz and Hernandez in AAA, I feel we would be in pretty good shape. I want to see Miller traded for major league ready talent currently in the minors before the deadline as well. Also, one more thing, a new coaching staff across the board.

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

gunn --

are you concerned that making that kind of offer would put the astros in a ranger-esque a-rod type situation?

6. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

No, that doesn't concern me because we've got better pitching than Texas ever had in the A-Rod Rangers era. I do realize that Beltran will not get a contract the size of Alex's from anyone, but in saying that yesterday, I was referring to an extremely large contract.

7. MadMax

that's a good point. i guess the only caveat would be that our pitching isn't necessarily locked up. if miller and oswalt aren't resigned, i'd be worried about doing this.

i guess another way to look at it is that nothing would be forever...hell, the yanks and sox were falling all over themselves to take on A-Rod's contract...so, perhaps you could pull this off and know that he could always be a dealable commodity.

again...he's got to want houston, too, though. if this is just another randy johnson situation where he knows where he wants to be next year ahead of time, then it's pointless conversation.

8. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

Also, the Rangers made other mistakes that hampered them as well, such as signing Chan Ho Park to a 65 million dollar deal (iirc was the amount of the deal).

9. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

That could very well be, but again, I feel if you offer him enough money and the chance to build the team around him, he'll sign. It's not like we'll be the punching bag of the NL Central either. In my opinion, the Astros will still compete in a great division.

10. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

I think signing Roy is a must. But Miller on the other hand, should be traded. You never know what you are getting with Wade. He is inconsistant.

11. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

The astros will do whatever it takes to resign Oswalt. I think you can take that to the bank

12. MadMax

agreed..but who do you have to replace him that's better? it's easy to say, "we should trade that guy" but more difficult to find a guy who will do the job as well or better. whether it's miller or his replacement, it's going to take money to pay the guy to be an astro.

13. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

Are you talking in terms of this year or next year?

14. MadMax

next

15. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

Ideally, next year a rotation of Oswalt, Pettitte, Hernandez, Buchholz, and possibly Redding as a 5th starter, imo, would still be competitive. We have about 28 days to decide if we are still in this thing, and even at that point if we are still in it, I don't know if Miller is all that needed. If we could possibly get a pitching prospect (more likely a position player) and a reliever for Miller by the end of July, I think we would still be good shape, especially if we add a lefty reliever like Rhodes on top of that. Having three strong in the starting rotation and a strong bullpen is enough for playoff action, in my opinion.

Edit: I feel that we would still be in good shape by trading Miller by the deadline for this year and next.

#15 gunn, Jul 2, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2004
  16. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I agree build this team around Beltran and the pitching staff.

17. MadMax

all indications are that hernandez is nowhere near ready for MLB, again. he's lost nearly 10 mph off his fastball. that's difficult to recover from.

is bucholz ready?? that's relying on 2 rookies in your starting rotation.

18. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

I agree Max, Hernandez in not currently ready, but with the rest of the season in AAA to work at getting his speed back up and the offseason to rest his arm, I would think he would be ready to go for next season. I don't think his injury is still affecting him, he lost some speed off of his fastball (I don't know about 10mph), but hopefully with time on the mound he will be able to regain that speed. He is getting said time on the mound and is currently third on the Zephyrs staff in innings pitched.

As for Buchholz, he better be ready. He's a good strike out pitcher with apparently nasty curve in a Zito-like fashion. He seems to have been struggling since the trade, which may be due to a culture shock or he may be pressing too much. Who knows, but management does have high hopes for Taylor and iirc he has been solid in his last few outings.

As for being a younger team, there is no question we would, but at the same I feel that we would have a nice mix of veterans and a young core. I would absolutely love to move Bagwell, while we still can, to the American league. It would be a hard pill to swallow for Astros fans but if we were to ink Beltran to a large contract it would make said fans rest more easily.

19. MadMax

i can't imagine anyone taking on bagwell's contract at this point.

i dont think i'm wrong on the 10 mph stuff with hernandez. can anyone verify that?

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I thought I read an article that said that Carlos had finally hit 90 on the radar gun recently.

I will try to find it.

Could not locat it but

HERE are the team stats for the AAA team. Not looking all that great for pitching prospects at AAA.

DD

#20 DaDakota, Jul 2, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2004