1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Last chance for the Phoenix Suns -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Ready The Clown Car: The First Batch of Democrats Are Ready To Announce Their 2020 Bids

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MojoMan, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Name recognition.

Poor urban communities that are more diverse probably aren't as involved in following nuances of politics and resort to more name recognition candidates. It's why Hillary had an edge with minority voters.

3. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Yeah, I know you like Pocahontas, but you have to see the writing on the wall by now. Don't you? Warren is not going to be a factor. In fact, she is currently running fourth in New Hampshire. If she cannot take one of the top three spots in New Hampshire, then she is done. She will be out by the second primary.

4. fchowd0311

Her losing isn't going to change my mind that I think she by far is the best candidate.

5. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

6. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

I totally get that and I respect that perspective.

But I was quoting the early poll showing Biden with a huge lead, which is starting to suggest that he could very well win the nomination for the Democrats. If not him, then Bernie. And in my opinion, if not one of those two, then it will probably have to be someone not currently running. None of the rest of the candidates are going to generate the passionate support that is needed to win the nomination, much less beat Donald Trump.

7. biff17

biff17 Member

Actual progressives?

Who and what are those?

He is running for the Democratic nomination not the nomination of the progressives and it looks like he is doing well.

Who doesn't like Biden on actual merit?

8. fchowd0311

They seriously are using the "not fair" to previous people who paid of their debt excuse?

That's an actual legitimate argument? So we shouldn't decriminalize weed and let people with no violent drug offenses to go free because previous citizens had to endure going through their full sentence.

What shitty logic. Logic that pretty much undermines any reform in any avenue. I'm not going to let a random editorial of one person's hot take change my opinion.

9. fchowd0311

Ones who don't take legal bribe money from Comcast. I think Biden is a vapid shell with no genuine policy ideas. He's signficantly better than Trump and if he won the DNC nomination, I will go out and vote for him, but a progressive he is not.

10. HTM

HTM Member

As someone who took out quite a bit of student loans to acquire a post-graduate degree and who makes a decent wage and has aggressively paid my loans back, I'd be pretty damned pissed if something like this ever came to fruition.

Not to mention all of those who took out loans, worked hard, lived modestly and got out from under it.

They weren't able to save that money or put it into a home but all of these people will get that benefit?

That's f**ked.

11. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Help me out here if you can, please. What are the Joe Biden's merits?

Let's keep in mind he has run twice before and never made it past the first round of cuts. But now all of the sudden, he is this great candidate? Based on what, other than there is nobody else?

12. fchowd0311

What's ****ed is that we are at a record low for home ownership for people in their 20s and 30s. Entrepreneurship is also severely stymied. This student loan debt issue is a severe drag on the economy.

We as a nation voted in 2 trillion dollars worth of tax cuts to people who obviously didn't need it and found no ways to make up for that lost tax revenue. At least Warren has an explicit plan on how to more than pay for this policy.

Also, do you believe that we should have never passed the post 9/11 GI bill because it wouldn't be fair to previous veterans who had to pay their way through college?

13. biff17

biff17 Member

If Warren is not gaining traction I doubt that is where the electorate is at, I think she is the most substantial candidate and has name recognition.

Sadly politics are not about substance anymore but more about likeability and telling people what they want to hear.

I am not really seeing a candidate that can really challenge Biden if Bernie is already losing ground I think the bloom might be off.

14. HTM

HTM Member

I'm not a veteran nor do I speak for veterans with regards to their benefits vis-a-vis the past.

I speak as someone who borrowed to pay for my education and then aggressively paid back my debts. I think many of us have made massive sacrifices and that if the government is going to be giving a hand out such as this it would only be fair to compensate those who were responsible and paid back their debt.

15. biff17

biff17 Member

Did I say he was a great candidate?

IMO his merits are having a wealth of experience as a senator and vice president, being a moderate who could possibly tamp down some of the division in the country.

I don't particularly need a great candidate just a competent one at this point in time.

It's amazing you have the audacity to ask for the merits of Biden when you are a Trump supporter.

16. biff17

biff17 Member

Fair enough you have your ideas of what you want in candidate and I agree Warren has some concrete ideas but I doubt she could get any of them implemented.

I think she would a great cabinet member and I think Biden would be open to implementing some of her policies and could have the clout and finesse to maybe get some passed.

I am a pragmatist and I think the person who presents the message is sometimes greater than what the message is, sad but true.

17. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

You're speaking in absolutes 9 months before the 1st primary. There is no writing on any wall for any candidate. Not this far out. So much can and likely will happen between now and the end of this year.

18. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

For Elizabeth Warren? You think she is going to make a move?

And by make a move, if she makes it past the first four primaries (Iowa, New Hampshire, Nevada and South Carolina) and is still in the race, that would be very impressive. Not just for her, but for any candidate.

19. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

9 months before any vote is cast. I'd think those on the right would understand that speaking in absolutes that far out would be premature considering what happened in 2016. In June 2015, trump was polling in the low single digits. At this point in 2015, Scott Walker, Jeb Bush, and Marco Rubio were the front runners.

I don't know if she'll make a move or not...but neither does anyone else.

20. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Well, in 2016 my guy was Ted Cruz, and he did make a move. As far as Trump, you make a good point. I did not think he would have the success that he had. But Trump was discounted because he was not like the other Republicans. He was not a professional politician and he was running basically a 'Bull in a china shop' campaign. He was an incendiary candidate running against Washington and the establishment.

So, who on the list of candidates for the Democrats this time is this sort of an mold-breaking candidate? Anyone? Aside from Bernie Sanders, they mostly look like relatively unimpressive leftist professional politicians. Bernie has some of these characteristics though. And the Democrat establishment types don't like that at all, just like the Republican establishment elites were opposed to Trump in 2016.

It appears to me that Sanders is likely the Democrat's Trump this year. And Biden may very well be the 2020 version of Hillary. And the rest do not look all that memorable.

#800 MojoMan, Apr 30, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2019