1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Re-signing all 6 to second contracts

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Spacemoth, Feb 23, 2024.

1. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

An inadvertent benefit to all of our young players being in significant funks right now is that, in the offseason, when it comes time to think about negotiations for their second contracts, not one of them might command a max. I know it's really disappointing that certain players (mainly Green now but also Jabari and Sengun to a lesser extent) are not demonstrating anything close to a 'championship-alpha' level career trajectory.

But for a lot of guys the progress is not linear, and the key is just being able to keep them around and give them enough playing time to reach their plateau performance levels by years 5, 6, and 7. Them sucking now might give us the ability to keep the core together through thick and thin and just see what they can manage to do when their games and their bodies are fully developed. Right now Jalen is getting the **** blocked out of most layups he is attempting at the rim, but all you need is a floater, a secondary move, or just a bit more explosiveness through weight training and next thing you know he's finishing a majority of those shots successfully or getting enough fouls called to go to the line 10+ times a game.

Similarly, for Sengun, Jabari, Tari (health is his big asterisk), Cam, and Amen, they're all just young lottery tickets at this point with major flaws that, if rectified, would lead to instant superstar status. And then in this upcoming draft we could be looking at piece #7 to add to the core, probably another interchangeable 3-and-D piece like Jabari and Tari that are just plug and play in any combination of lineups.

Everyone looks at the Nuggets with Jokic and thinks we will never be able to reproduce that luck. But they also were able to hold on to Murray and MPJ through lots of bumps to the point where they are now viable #2 and #3 pieces on a contender. The key is just giving them more time. Our record this year is irrelevant; all we want to see is progress, and I know it's frustrating watching a game like that, but on the back end it also means we get to pay them less for the next 5yrs.

2. cml750

cml750 Member

Only Sengun and Green are eligible to resign this summer. Alpi is a no-brainer to try to extend if he agrees to it. Jalen OTOH should not be extended. He has not improved. He has actually gotten worse over his 3 years. He provably via statistics makes every single player on the team worse when he is on the floor. He should be traded or cut this offseason. Getting rid of Jalen will be addition by subtraction.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You cannot simulate Playoff experience or 2nd Round experience......

I think this team will always compete for the peripheral space of the Playoffs.

Unless you have a legit star player, the Up and Downs are going to continue I am afraid.

4. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I think Sengun is a rookie max player. He’s improved considerably every year and I think that will continue.

Jalen to me is not worth extending at all. And because he was such a high draft pick, his rookie scale contract isn’t really great value. Sometimes you have to make tough decisions to cut your losses and focus on more promising opportunities. That’s what we have to do with Jalen. Move him this offseason for the best return possible. Wish him well.

To your point we really can’t know how to approach Tari until we understand how much of a long term concern his injury is. But if it’s not a long term risk, I’d be very aggressive about extending him long term. We will never regret locking up Tari if he is healthy. To your point there could be real value there seeing he’s basically missed a year of production.

Bari is someone I’m still buying long term as an elite role player. I think he’ll continue to improve and I don’t doubt the work ethic. He’s limited athletically, but he’s a guy that could be a completely different player by 23. If you can extend him at value I think he’s worth the risk; especially if the shooting continues to improve. But he’d be my 2nd choice after Jalen to include in a trade for a difference-maker.

I don’t see Cam and Amen figuring into this conversation because they are still rookies. Already they look like our best prospects not named Sengun.

BamBam likes this.
  5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

JG on a very TEAM FRIENDLY contract means one that will look attractive if on the trade market
    The thing is . . . I doubt he will accept.
    Every player now thinks they should get max . . .esp those that were drafted high
    They think that is automatic

Rocket River

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

Realistically speaking you're not re signing all 6 current prospects to max level deals. that's basically impossible.

As of now, there's only 4 players that are a near term type of worry. Sengun/JG are the only ones eligible this summer. Then Bari/Tari aren't eligible until next.

Sengun clearly has earned a consideration of a nice pay day extension. Whether that's max level or not is a conversation. If it isn't max, I'd say it's pretty close to it.

JG. definitely has not shown being worthy of an extension offer. If the rockets aren't pulling the trigger on trading him over the summer then he absolutely needs to remain on his rookie scale deal.

Bari. took steps forward in year 2 at 20. Brought his 3 pt shooting back up where it should be and maintaining a solid efficiency. still has issues with being way too passive and lack of aggressiveness but that's much more of something that can change over time. In year 3 next year, he can continue to show being a 2 way player is absolutely his future in this league

Tari. showing to be injury prone. effective player even in limited minutes. likely won't play again this season so next season is super critical for him

Cam/Amen aren't a worry until 2027 and so much can happen from now until then and the team will be much different by then.

BamBam, cml750 and Rocket River like this.
  7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

5/140 for Sengun, 0/0 for Jalen, 2+1 TO/60 each for Eason/Smith

Decline Freds option and offer to re-sign him at half the money per year he’s currently making or let him walk, move Dillon for positive value if the opportunity arises

cml750 likes this.