1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rate the last movie(s) you watched

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ClutchCityReturns, Jan 26, 2009.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

A Man Called Otto - 7/10 - Yeah, was not expecting this one to be quite so heavy - especially with the pregnancy subject matter. Wife and I watched and that was probably a mistake. Gave it a 7 because...well, Tom Hanks.

Kevooooo likes this.
  2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

DRIVE

9/10 ... fantastic and seems to be aging quite well now 12 years out (despite a sometimes dippy retro synth soundtrack).

Young Gosling. Christina Hendricks. Oscar Isaac. Bryan Cranston in a great, sad roll. And Albert Freaking Brooks as a baddie. Amazing casting choice there. And Ron Perlman also really really good.

The interesting thing to me about the script and the story is just how much silence and reticence affects other humans. The main character is about as laconic as you can be, and it's interesting to watch what other people assume about him, how they fill in the blanks, or underestimate him, or see what they want, etc.

Entropy and JumpMan like this.
  3. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

Well, it IS based on a short story. A short story set in a dystopian America of the far future...1982!

http://www.2112.net/powerwindows/transcripts/19731100roadandtrack.htm

4. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

Well, it IS based on a short story. A short story set in a dystopian America of the far future...1982!

http://www.2112.net/powerwindows/transcripts/19731100roadandtrack.htm

Surfguy likes this.
  5. CrazyJoeDavola

So who did it better? Tom Hanks in a Man Called Otto? Bill Murray in St Vincent? Or Clint Eastwood in Gran torino?

6. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Just watched Nightcrawler. I thought I had seen it but nothing really felt familiar. What a fked up movie, haha. I’d give it an 8 though. JG is a creepy m’fer.

Just put on Donnie Darko. Can’t believe I didn’t see this movie till 2006 or so. 2001 had some excellent movies.

Edit: what a friggin cast. I totally forgot Noah Wiley was also in this at the height of ER — or maybe just after its peak.

#9946 Kevooooo, Aug 14, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2023
    B-Bob likes this.
  7. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Watching one of my all-time favorites -- Enemy of the State. This and Spy Game are two of my favorite political action thrillers. Any recommendations for similar movies?

8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The Deepest Breath from A24... freediving has such a bizarre primal intensity - every deep dive seems like it's right on the edge and the people involved always seem a little off. I guess you have to be a bit crazy to hold your breath and dive down 300+ feet... 8.8/10.

no_answer likes this.
  9. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Blue Beetle - 8/10
    Standard superhero fare. Will go see the sequel if that is in the works.

cheke64 and GRENDEL like this.
  10. no_answer

no_answer Member

I watched The Pope’s Exorcist by myself, at night… and fast forwarded through the too scary parts because I’m a big chicken. Then I googled Father Gabriele Amorth and found out he was a real person… which lead to me watching the video with him that the director of the original Exorcist filmed doing a real exorcism and it was scary as heck. Like, physical reaction to the crazy voice this lady had. Since I fast forwarded so much I’m going to say 7/10. Real life video of the priest and follow up story I read about the lady 10/10.

conquistador#11, GRENDEL and B-Bob like this.
  11. no_answer

no_answer Member

This movie was good, and I always like looking up what the real people look like afterwards.

KingCheetah likes this.
  12. Buck Turgidson

The only aquatic venture (no submarine jokes) I can think of that's crazier than free diving is cave diving

KingCheetah likes this.
  13. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Seems very similar to extreme free climbing actually.

KingCheetah likes this.
  14. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Strays - A raunchy Homeward Bound which is funny in spots but if you've seen the trailers you've seen 90% of the best bits. This should have been a lot better with cast behind the voices. C+

Gran Turismo - Cliched but it works as a Rocky on wheels, David Harbour paying the Mick role. The racing sequences are well done and even though it plays out pretty much the way you expect it to, its fairly entertaining. B

15. no_answer

no_answer Member

Ooops, wrong movie. I was thinking of the movie No Limit.

16. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Plane with Gerard Butler on Starz

it was okay. Not bad. Not great. I like when bad guys get ****ed up.

17. Buck Turgidson

Hijak, on Apple, with Idris Elba.

GRENDEL and Kevooooo like this.
  18. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Liked it a lot. But
    I won’t be flying anywhere soon. Hah

GRENDEL and Buck Turgidson like this.
  19. KingCheetah

The Alpinist has a very similar tension as does this one...

20. KingCheetah

Another crazy intense extreme sport doc Facing Monsters might be the best of the bunch -- must see 9/10.

Straight up horror movie.

[​IMG]