1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rate the last movie(s) you watched

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ClutchCityReturns, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Buck Turgidson

...and the Vermont skit

2. Fantasma Negro

I never told anyone not to watch the movie. I actually hope everyone watches this movie. I never intended to watch the movie myself, and I'm mad I wasted two hours of my life watching it instead fighting harder to play another round of mini golf, but because I did watch it, I reviewed it through the prism of my own personal opinion. I'm free to express my opinion whenever and wherever I ****ing feel like. My wife who is a woman (lol), grew up playing with Barbies and was genuinely excited to see the movie, also thought the movie was toxic. She didn't like how repetitive the talking points were and after America Ferrera has a "women can't do anything right" diatribe and my wife leaned over and whispered "OMFG! We get it already." Her homegirl (also a biological woman lol) who grew up playing with Barbies loved the movie, there were a couple of cameos (one in particular) she squealed for, ok he doesn't do anything in the movie so I'm going to spoil this, John Cena is in the movie, shown maybe three times for like one full minute of screen time collectively, once she saw Cena that's all she wanted, multiple times throughout the movie she would just start quietly chanting "We Want Cena", she also thought Ryan Gosling as Ken was great.

If you want to blame anyone for me writing a review on this movie put that blame squarely on my wife. I'm clearly not the target audience for this movie. Yes, I could've faked a bathroom trip and walked into Mission Impossible or Oppenheimer but I'd already ordered my food and I love Star's fries.

All bullshit aside, this movie has great sponsor product placement, they use GM vehicles in this movie and I want a Hummer EV bad now lol

#9922 Fantasma Negro, Jul 21, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2023
  3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Nope - 5/10 - Don't really get the hype for this movie (if there was any). It was a less interesting version of War of the Worlds.

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny - 8/10 - I don't know, but I really enjoyed this one. Yes, Ford is 80. Yes, the plot is kind of out there. Yes, Spielberg didn't direct. But is was a really fun 2 1/2 hours in a movie theatre and that's all you can ask for these days.

FranchiseBlade and Ubiquitin like this.
  4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Saw 65 on an airplane. Gosh it was bad. I almost highjacked the plane to escape watching it...

Kevooooo and Buck Turgidson like this.
  5. Buck Turgidson

Good to know, this makes me happy.

6. Buck Turgidson

7. Buck Turgidson

8. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I’ll admit this was entertaining. Didn’t laugh, but smiled. Maybe threw out a chuckle. But I can see why people would find this pretty funny. It was well delivered, I’ll give him that. I think the voice made it less funny. I dunno. I’m trying to explain to myself why I don’t like him lol

maybe it’s just that drone voice hiding all intonation.

9. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Birdbox Barcelona 3/10. Did they stopped making decent movies after 2021? I spent 1 hour looking for a movie and it was between shark bait and this one, I ****ed up picking this garbage cause I manned up and finished it. Long unsuspenseful boring movie.

10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

A random I watched the other day that’s good is Deadstream.

cheke64 likes this.
  11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Where did you watch that? I've wanted to check it out. Don't ask my why, but I've seen like 10 movies starring Melanie Stone.

12. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

When I first saw your review, I thought you were just hating on the movie for some incel-like reasons (not saying you are one because I don't know you). But after having watched it because the wife wanted to, I whole-heartedly agree with everything you said. The first 30 minutes are world-building Barbie land and are an absolute snore fest. It doesn't get much better when they enter the real world. The interesting plot happens when they go back to Barbie land after over an hour into the movie. I exhaled a few times out of my nose but there are no real jokes or comedy in this movie. The humor is very basic and silly or vulgar, pretty much how I've heard Amy Schumer's comedy described.

Gosling was the true standout. He stole every scene he was in and had a better character arc than Barbie. I get the message they tried to say. If you're into girl power, you're gonna cheer this movie. If you're not, eh, make up your own opinion and don't feel afraid to criticize the movie for its issues. I understand it might be controversial to not like the movie. To me, it's like the girl power version of Black Panther that is uplifted more by the societal message but is a poor movie on its own.

Fantasma Negro likes this.
  13. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Has anyone seen Barbie yet? My wife is So So wanting to see it and unfortunately I am being dragged to see it tonight- please pray for my soul :( - she might be convinced to see MI instead - crossing fingers

14. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I give both Barbie and Oppenheimer 3/5.
    Barbie is enjoyable if you do not take it seriously and treat it like a Lego movie for gen x and millennial women. Gosling’s charisma carried the movie.
    Oppenheimer was exhausting. 3 hours of fast pacing except act 3 which was a lot slower.
    I saw in IMAX and felt that it was overplayed in terms of its impact. The movie was way too damn loud, too. If I hadn’t studied the works of those physicists during undergrad, I would’ve hated the movie.

The new exorcist movie looks scary though.

Fantasma Negro and ROXRAN like this.
  15. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

It’s funny, just don’t take it seriously.

FranchiseBlade and ROXRAN like this.
  16. Buck Turgidson

Unless you lived under a rock, in a cave, on another planet...what *would* make you take it seriously? ;)

17. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

A strong affinity toward a horse based rule of law?

18. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Thanks just saw your review and Duncan -thanks- based on that I'll stick with MI -

19. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

I still need to see it. I loved all the other ones, and ultimately like the series a lot more than Bond.

I only have one theater movie left in me and it’s going to be the Turtles movie for the kids.

20. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

nonsense! I demand, nay expect, to have a live action movie about Barbie to be taken in a respectful and serious manner. Good day sir.