1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rate the last movie(s) you watched

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ClutchCityReturns, Jan 26, 2009.

1. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Interested to hear more if you care to elaborate. I thought it had some of his trademark intensity but it did offer more "ebony and ivory" hope than a lot of his work -- is that what you mean?

I do think it was lighter in some ways, but that is still damned hard to watch in parts (for me at least), and I think his point was to swing for fences and make it as accessible as he could while still making some strong points. I still applaud it overall, but it's not a perfect movie at all. There were cop outs, so to speak. But I'm interested in "disingenuous."

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Definitely more hopeful than most of his stuff
    IMO He really toned down the police's racism and generally had a light take on the cops.
    Basically . .. there was really only one 'bad' cop . . .it kind of has the rest being 'indifferent' at worse

Coming out of the movie. . .you would have to beleive that Colorado Spring's Police Department was probably the most racially progressive and liberal department in the country at that time

Rocket River

B-Bob likes this.
  3. B-Bob

Totally hear that. I wonder what the actual book is like? Bet there was more than one flagrant racist in CSPD at the time.

But you're right: the movie has the one really really bad cop, and even just one really really bad KKK member. LOL. The others are just dumb or bumbling or meh.

Rocket River likes this.
  4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

David Duke was shown as more bumbling and dumb than anything. A bit funny etc.

Rocket River

5. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Upgrade 10/10. It is a perfect sci-fi thriller... seriously, it is the best new movie I've watched all year. I love the cyberpunk aspect of it.

6. Jontro

Jontro Member

looks interesting, will definitely give it a watch. tom hardy looks good in this.

7. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Finally saw Heriditary.

8.5/10

Very creepy movie all throughout, there was some really eerie scenes. Probably one of the best horror films i’ve seen in years.

8. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

LOL, it is "poor man's Tom Hardy," aka Logan Marshall-Green. He is actually great in the flick though. Tom would be proud.

Jontro likes this.
  9. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

rewatched The Truman Show. Still holds up very well, close to a 10/10. Plato's allegory of the cave.

10. Roscoe Arbuckle

Watched "Remember" on Netflix last night. Worth a watch. 7-10.

CometsWin likes this.
  11. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Really great movie. Andrew Luck has a future in hollywood.

The more I read about this film, the more astonishing the creative process is- to achieve such a quality end product film from a budget under 10mil is amazing.

Svpernaut likes this.
  12. VanityHalfBlack

What's impressive to me about this movie is that I went to a 7:30 evening and **** was sold out. On a Tuesday, lol. People love their romcoms.

13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Darkest Hour - 6/10 : Took a LOT of liberties with history, but Oldman's performance was stunningly good and the only thing that kept me from turning it off. I get the feeling the only reason this film was made was to give him a vehicle to show his chops and rack up some awards. Just once I'd like to watch a movie that was 100% historically accurate. I guess I'll just stick with books and documentaries.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  14. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

The Hateful Eight

I really don't know what to think of it.

5/10? I really liked Walton Goggins' character. He and Samuel L. had the funniest characters of the bunch.

Everything else was kinda all over the f***in place... like everyone's brains and balls by the end of it.

15. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I watched this again after seeing it when it first came out. Great movie in my opinion. I would suggest anyone, and everyone to watch it.

16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Mile 22 was so bad.

-Mark's character was super unlikable and made no sense
    -The editing and cuts were awful
    -Story made no sense
    -Mark's and Lauren Cohan's character's backstories were stupid and made no sense either
    -Ronda Rousey is a terrible actress

5/10

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Darkest Hour - 7.75/10

While one could nitpick about its historical accuracy, the acting is marvelous, and it is yet another take on the events that took place when Hitler quit "kidding around" on the Western Front and launched his assault on the Netherlands, Belgium, and France. Belgium and France had prepared for the last war, and the neutral Dutch were unprepared for an airborne assault by paratroops and the vicious bombing of the center of one of their most important cities. The RAF lost over 1,000 aircraft in France and 1500 air crew. After pulling out of France when it was obvious that the battle was lost, they were left with only 650 operational aircraft to confront over 3,200 of the Luftwaffe at the beginning of the Battle of Britain. That was just one of countless critical problems confronting Churchill after he took office.

18. Buck Turgidson

Taxi Driver. Still awesome. Good lord Cybill Shepherd was gorgeous.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  19. B-Bob

Anyone see The Meg yet? Can't convince any of my usual suspects to go see it. :D

EDIT, and no spoilers here.

20. Sir Geving

Sir Geving Contributing Member

Saw it in MX4D yesterday. 10/10

B-Bob likes this.