1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Ranking]Presidential Greatness

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rashmon, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Yup, too many broken precedents with regards to communications, protocol and diplomacy; really bizarre incentive-modeling by his supportive constituency, life-altering wealth to any willing conspirator and life-long personal protection from fully commissioned federal law enforcement officers.

Deckard likes this.
  2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

My take on Trump's presidency is that the Trump Derangement Syndrome crowd would rank him dead last no matter what happens, but that's why no one should pay attention to those kinds of people. My personal opinion is that it will depend on accomplishments as to where he should be rightfully ranked, but that's not something that can be done right now because it's way too early. I'm not expecting much from him, but he could overtake some of the worst presidents eventually.

Any "ranking" right now is just partisan clickbait.....which makes it unsurprising that you'd get a ranking with Trump dead last and Obama in the top 10.

3. Newlin

Newlin Member

I guess the experts aren't impressed with a very stable genius?

krnxsnoopy, No Worries and fchowd0311 like this.
  4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Stable geniuses don't make good presidents. Didn't you know?

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Hey you're in the top ten as well.

krnxsnoopy, mdrowe00 and arkoe like this.
  6. AB

AB Contributing Member

I don’t get this Obama is a divisive president thing. There can be an argument and discussion for obama as ineffective president but divisive?? What did he ever say or do that has been divisive . I wished he took some solid stance instead of trying to please all sides!!

After this past year we should clearly know what divisive looks like and that is not obama.

Now if you say Obama becoming president in itself is a divisive event , I will not argue !!!

Jayzers_100, krnxsnoopy and edwardc like this.
  7. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

This. Some Americans were not ready for Obama.

8. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

If the Donalds hands are any indication, the dick must be pretty tiny, but even your mouth has to get tired from the 24/7 fellation it doles out to his dumb ass.

9. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

He was not the most supportive prez of our first responders in a time when they could've used it.

10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

What does that even mean?

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Absolutely, and the forum would be a better place if a few more trolls added to that number.

Obama gave rise to the cancer that is identity politics with his actions and comments. The "If I had a son, he'd look like the kid that attacked someone for looking at him and ended up shot" comment directly led to the polarization and radicalization of many. The BLM nonsense was egged on by his administration and the rise of one identitarian movement leads to the rise of other identitarian movements.

Part of the reason why Obama never accomplished anything in his time in office had to do with the divisive manner in which he chose to conduct himself. He almost never made legitimate compromises (unless they were compromises with his own party) and instead chose to merely demonize any opposition to the way he wanted things done.

In many ways, the divisiveness of the Obama years led directly to Trump becoming president and while Trump is also a VERY divisive president, there's a chance he'll embrace compromise in order to get things done which would make him better than the guy before him, something I didn't see coming. Hell the compromise on DACA is already better than anything Obama would have offered the opposition party while he was in office.

For the record, there was nothing at all divisive about Obama merely becoming president. It was everything he chose to do after being elected that was divisive.

12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Agree with this. I have serious concerns about the damage Trump might do to the foundation of this country, but right now we can't say any permanent damage actually HAS been done. That's not a defense of him in general, but certainly against the "worst ever" charge. Premature for that.

13. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

theres damage alright

at least its not permanent o_O

14. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

On the bright side, he can't get any worse.

15. AB

AB Contributing Member

These two things stood out for me.
    BLM, like any other movement hit its prime (like MeToo now). The issues got heightened visibility due to the campaign and flurry of events related to death of black people in police shootings. Obama cannot be responsible for that. I think it is more timing of events than obama. I haven’t seen obama chastise police the way Trump is doing FBI and others.. not even close

Unable to compromise?!? When did the Congress even let him have a dialogue. His entire political capital was spent on Obamacare. After that it was disruptive congress and house that would not even bring relavent bills to floor. I think this part of allegation needs to be revisited

with DACa , trump is causing more confusion than compromise.

edwardc likes this.
  16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

It's like Wil E Coyote when he runs off a cliff and is still technically moving horizontally.

justtxyank likes this.
  17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Choosing to get involved and to take sides (wrongly quite often) is something is is responsible for along with the repercussions of those decisions. Criminals get themselves killed all the time, some of those criminals are black, there was no reason for Obama to get involved with it and give credence to the notion that black people were being targeted or mistreated.....which is the reason why it seemed like there was a "flurry of events", everyone was just looking for the next excuse to protest and attempt to further their narrative. It's how his actions led to the rise of competing identitarian movements and all of the bad that came along with it.

If he had either kept his mouth shut or had a unifying message rather than a divisive one where he took sides or gave the appearance of taking sides, then the country would be in a much different place right now.

He was always unwilling to compromise with Republicans, at first he didn't need them and as such he was dismissive of them "Elections have consequences" was one of the more foolish things he ever said and has since come back to bite him time and time again. Then when he lost control of one branch of congress, then the other, they wanted him to finally make some concessions and he wouldn't. The relationship was already poisoned due to those early years so the ONLY thing that could help repair it would be some serious concessions and compromises being made. Instead, he refused to do so and opted to continue to demonize anyone who disagreed with him.

You could contrast this with how a legitimately talented politician, Bill Clinton, handled a MUCH more hostile congress during his 2nd term. He put petty politics aside and found areas of agreement and it led to a very successful second term where things actually got done. Obama on the other hand, he was just an ideologue, more suited for congress than the presidency.

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

On another level, these rankings are by definition done with the benefit of perfect hindsight.

Seems like we should judge Presidents The same way we judge GM's...trust the process! Or in other words, how did they act based on resources/information available to them at the time.

I'm sure Morey would like to have Kyle Kuzma now, but was it defensible at the time to send out a late 1st round pick for Lou Will? Sure.

Same applies to Presidents.Jimmy Carter got crushed in part due to the Iran hostage crisis, but had the rescue plan worked, well, it's a make or miss league. And that woulda been a huge make. But it missed.

In terms of the ideal set up for decision-making and the Process, Trump is way better situated than most of his 19th c. Companions in terribleness at Presidenting....and he is underperforming them bigly, on every level.

The only doubt I have in him sealing the deal as worst ever is whether or not we're around to chronicle it or the Republic still exists in its current form.

19. edwardc

edwardc Member

Truth hurts the trumpster can't deal with the truth they're quick to bring up 44 when this thread is about all the presidents and trumps poor ranking.

No Worries likes this.
  20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Don’t challenge him