1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    GAME 7 ORLANDO vs CLEVELAND. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Rangers @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jul 2, 2004.

1. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Anybody that wants to see what Old Time Baseball was like, check out ESPN Classic right now!!! It is a Live game!! Lots of former Major Leaguers are playing in it. Jim Bouton, Bill Lee, and many more. Awesome!!!

#121 BobFinn*, Jul 3, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2004
  2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

They were into their 4th rain delay when the game was finally called. A game becomes official once 4 1/2 innings have been played if the home team is winning and once 5 innings have been played if the visitors are winning.

There are guidelines to follow as to how much time must be taken before a game is officially called and those guidelines were followed.

3. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

I thought the same thing. Those guys are terrible. Ther were several times tonight I wanted to turn the sound off.

after the fifth the game is official. If it gets called due to anything it counts.

4. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I can't believe they're playing with equipment only available during the era :eek:

5. BobFinn*

Bill Lee pitching without a glove (his was illegal)

6. BobFinn*

Diamond Dreams
    Everyone knows Abner Doubleday invented baseball at Cooperstown, NY in 1839, or was it Alexander Cartwright in Hoboken, NJ in 1845, or was it the ancient Indians before Columbus ever set foot on America? Was it even invented in America?

Well, this spring, a document was found in Pittsfield, MA proving that America's Grand Old Game was first played there in 1791. Suddenly, a 19th century game has become an 18th century game. Is this proof of life enough to deem it ESPN Classic worthy? OF COURSE! But in the on-going pursuit of worthy programming, ESPN Classic is not satisfied with mere proof. So ESPN Classic will broadcast its first LIVE baseball game from Pittsfield's historic Wahconah Park, one of the oldest and most storied minor league stadiums in America.

Baseball was first played at Wahconah Park in 1892, and this 'Vintage Game' between the Pittsfield Hillies and Hartford Senators will be played much as they did back in the day - under 1886 rules with vintage uniforms and equipment. Amongst other things, that means 7 balls and 3 strikes, one umpire, no balks, no foul strikes, no hit batsman awarded first and gloves not much larger than the size of one's hand. To see how the game was created, and to judge for yourself if this is how "the game was meant to be played", tune in to ESPN Classic on Saturday from 7 - 10 p.m. ET.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Three ghosts have been exercised this series:

1.) Ensberg's homerun drought.

2.) Double figured scoring for the first time in a month and a half.

3.) The Astros FINALLY WON ON A SATURDAY!

Seriously... check the schedule... they'd lost 6 or 7 in a row on this great weekend day. However, they'd been able to win on Sunday about 5 or 6 times in a row... so that somewhat evened it all out.

Get ready tommorow everybody... beware of the RAINBOW UNI's.

... If something special happens tommrow with those uni's on, I'm all for them trying to get all the good karma they can muster, and bringin those back periodically.

#127 Nick, Jul 3, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2004
  8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

It is also good that they secured these wins and scored these runs with next to nothing offensively from Beltran. Of course, Beltran has hit in terrible luck thus far, but it has to be a confidence boost that they aren't having to rely on him to carry the load.

9. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Ok, thanks for the explanation. I wasn't sure of the reason they called it. It makes sense to call it after 5, just sucks for the losing team.

Great game, and great series so far. Morgan is on a great streak right now. I hope he can keep it up. With him being a threat now too, the whole team is playing so much better. Man, they looked great today.

Also, Beltran hasn't gotten a HR in the MMP, or even a hit IIRC. He has been robbed of extra bases like 4 times already in this series. 2 of them were to deep center at the hill. I don't think he likes center field in MMP.

10. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Hot damn! Check this out! I thought I submitted a lot of votes for the Allstar game. I submitted aroudn 120. This kid out did me by a TON!

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/2662075

11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

No kidding...I thought I did well with 150 votes. This kid blew everyone away.

12. sonique15

sonique15 Contributing Member

saturdays game was the best astros game i have ever been too......the crowd was wild and into it........it was an awesome experieince......when ensberg homered the whole place blew up! Awesome game.

13. sonique15

sonique15 Contributing Member

fireworks were pretty sweet too.

14. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

Chris Burke is being brought up for today's game. Griffth got sent down.

15. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Nice they're breaking out the old uniforms.

16. codell

codell Contributing Member

Why would they bring Burke up to be a backup??

17. fatman510

fatman510 Member

Probably to fill Kent's absence.

Or maybe they are seriously considering putting Kent on the DL.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

At first I was thinking they'd DL Kent, and Burke would get some actual playing time, starting games at 2B.

Now, while Kent is still testing the leg out, he'll provide some pop off the bench, some speed as a pinch-runner, and if he's starting, it keeps Viz's left-handed bat on the bench.

He's really got nothing left to prove down at New Orleans... the numbers he put up in the first half are more then enough to warrant his call-up. Plus, the sooner he sees major league pitching, the faster he'll get a chance to make adjustments... it took Ensberg and Everett some time to do that as well.

19. BobFinn*

Jose Cruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuz back in the rainbow uniform!!!!!!

Awesome baby!!!!!

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They're still using their current batting helmets... guess they didn't want to bust the old ones outta the moth balls.