1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Trade Thread 2023-24

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Jul 10, 2023.

1. fattz

fattz Member

Brooks & Tate
    For
    Middleton
    Nice landing spot for Brooks & Tate, seems like Middleton and coach would fit. Cleans up the books and roster a little, & the Bucks could use some more steady hands. Middleton seems like a good mentor type and he is still functional on the court.

2. fattz

fattz Member

Jaylen Green
    For
    Anthony Black
    Picks here or there to balance it out. They need scoring and have turned into win now. We need to groom a point guard for the future. Anthony Black fits coach. A SnT of Goga Bitadze would let us move some our backup centers and balance the salaries.

snowconeman22 and Corrosion like this.
  3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

No thanks.

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

On the how do you pay these guys, I'm not expecting everyone to be a max caliber player. If they all become max caliber players, that is a problem to figure out while picking out parade routes. I see Sengun as a rookie max player and I'm hoping Amen is one. I still am not sure how well those will work together unless one of them becomes a shooter. I like Jabari and Tari, but don't see them becoming quite that good.

Personally, I think Amen, Tari, and Jabari would work real well with a star (or near star) PG and a star (or near star) C with at least one of the PG and C being able to play great defense and offense. I would see having Young and Sengun would get the Rockets close to this such that either internal improvement or one trade would fix the lineup.

On how to get Young, I think to going rate would be 3 FRPs or equivalent. I would look at Jalen Green, the 2024 Brooklyn FRP if not Top 4, and a crappy FRP acquired from others would work. I think Brooks is worth a crappy FRP. I think this puts the money aspect back a couple of seasons as one doesn't have to decide on maxing Green or not.

5. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

If you are trading for Young it will take more than Green for salary purposes. FVV plus picks is the way to go. I’m not a young fan and he is a bad fit with Jalen. Jalen would have to be dealt in a separate deal, but for who? I think FVV will be our starting PG going into next year. He has actually proven he can play fast if his minutes are managed. I just hope Amen is starting at SF and getting minutes initiating the offense.

6. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Green + Brooks technically works from a salary perspective. The question is whether a lineup of Young / FVV / Amen / Bari / Sengun is too small.

7. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

The forward positions would be the same or a little taller (certainly wing span). If it took Jalen and Brooks and picks for Trey, I wouldn’t do it. I think FVV and picks would work or find a third team for FVV. Trey, Jalen, Amen, Jabari, Sengun would be an offensive machine and as long as Jabari and Sengun continue to improve on defense, we could still be top ten in defense. Bench would be pretty awesome as well with Cam, Tari, Brooks, and Adams. You’d have to have one of. Amen, Trey, or Jalen playing with these four in order to have the appropriate ball handling.

8. Houston77

Supporting Member

I'm skeptical that we can land Young for FVV + Picks. I really think we'd have to throw in one of our young prospects. However, I will say a lineup Young / Green / Thompson / Smith / Sengun is very interesting.

9. OremLK

OremLK Member

Theoretically could be one of the best offensive lineups in the league, but also probably a bottom 10 defense. Only so much Amen and Jabari can do without more help.

Rokman likes this.
  10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

That's a horrible deal for the Rockets - Middleton is good for 50% of the games at 150% of the price of Brooks. MIlwaukee would have to include somethign else (but they don't actually have anything).

11. Houston77

Supporting Member

What do yall think it would take to get Markkanen from Utah? He puts them in a bit of a weird spot, making them just good enough not to truly tank. They also have the 8th pick, so we could trade them the 9th to give them back-to-back top ten picks. Sengun, Smith, and Markkanen would create an incredible frontcourt.

12. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A Brooklyn pick, a swap, and Tari or Cam.

13. OremLK

OremLK Member

The reports were Ainge was looking for a similar return to what he got for Gobert. So like four FRPs + players. It's probably not worth it, although I do think Lauri would be an amazing fit on offense. (Not as much so defensively.)

roslolian likes this.
  14. Houston77

Supporting Member

I’d be really tempted. Like, let’s say we trade Brooks, Eason, and picks for Lauri and filler.

FVV / Green / Smith / Markkanen / Sengun, with Amen, Cam, and Adams off the bench. That’s a pretty nasty 8 man rotation.

15. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I would to but that is not enough. I think if you are smart and be patient you trade the pick this year for likely a protected pick next year. Then you have 2 picks in next draft. I think the nets end up around the 4-6th worst team. Then you have a lot of assets to trade with a lot of flexibility. Along with more information about your own players.

theDude likes this.
  16. Houston77

Supporting Member

While I agree with you to some degree, there’s too much uncertainty with your proposal. First, there’s no guarantee that a team will offer solid future assets for our pick, and there’s no guarantee that future pick will be in the top ten or even the lottery for that matter. Also, the fact that teams assume the Nets’ picks will be valuable is, inherently, valuable. Conversely, the Nets could find a way to turn it around. In short, if we’re going to make a big trade, this is the offseason to do it. Not saying I necessarily think we should, but if we are, we should this offseason.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  17. theDude

Supporting Member

I think this is what the Rockets will do. Stockpile more picks in a better draft and increase their offer for that star player when they become available. They could draft Knecht at #9, but would he really be any better than Aaron Holiday?

18. theDude

Supporting Member

Gobert was a much more accomplished player and had 4 years left on his contract when he was traded. Lauri is in the final year of his contract. If Ainge actually thought he could get that for him, he would have already extended him and then worked out a trade to bring back that haul.

Lauri is an injury-prone player that the Jazz aren’t even sure they want to keep. I thought my proposal was a little high, but would expect any trade with Ainge to be on the high side.

Corrosion likes this.
  19. OremLK

OremLK Member

Yeah, I don't know, I'm just repeating what was reported at the trade deadline. I do think Ainge is going to want a package that really helps jump start their rebuild though.

I will say that I don't think a core of Lauri, Sengun, and Jalen will work for Ime defensively and I'm skeptical a team playing each of those guys 30+ mpg can be a top 10 defense. I think if I were trading for Lauri I would be trying to work Jalen into the deal for that reason, and try to replace him with a defense-minded, 3-and-D shooting guard via trade or MLE signing.

theDude likes this.
  20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The Rockets have expiring deals that make matching salary easy such that I don't think it really needs to be said every trade speculation (Stone has done a lot to make this possible even if it causes Rockets fans to say he's bad at draft pick asset management despite being up 2 FRPs and only down 2 SRPs not counting the Harden deal). For teams without means to make a deal without complicated gymnastics, sure finding matching salary is a big deal.