1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Trade Thread 2023-24

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Jul 10, 2023.

1. fattz

fattz Member

I like it but it’s 16M away from matching up salary. Maybe we take on a bad contract from a third team to make it happen. Don’t think Pacers are going to add anything either. Maybe third team adds a back up point and bad contract.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  2. fattz

fattz Member

Jaylen Green
    For
    Wallace, Arkansas Williams & MAYBE some picks

OKC has a chance at the best back court in years (or maybe just after the All Star Break)

Rockets sacrifice one to grow the others while filling in rotation / roster holes in the line up with coach’s type of players. (Brooklyn & other FRPs are wildcards). Cam, Amen, FVV and Brooks fill the void of Green at the 2. Eason and Smith can help out at the 3, as well. We are so fluid in our line ups. Williams is a beast that plays much bigger than he is as a switchable 4/5.

Wallace is the obvious target.

3. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

well I think Nic Claxton is a very different player than Adams. Claxton is 24, about to be 25. He’s a legit rim protector (which Adams is not), was all-defensive team last season, and is switchy. He’s a good player; everyone on Brooklyn had a tough year. I’m not gonna defend the foul shooting ;)

I like Adams and I don’t think a switchy rim protecting big is a bigger need than someone who can fill Fred’s role in the back court, but adding Claxton without giving up any of the core 6 or Fred would make this team better and allow us to give opposing teams much different looks that I’m sure Ime would exploit.

4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I genuinely can't understand how you can justify paying Adams and Claxton to backup Sengun at one position. Whether you like Adams or not he's getting minimum 20 minutes. Even if Sengun moves to PF, he will still get 15 minutes at C minimum because we have Jabari getting PF minutes. Just won't work and I don't think it's all that subjective. Feels like losing a top 10 pick to create a logjam.

We already have Amen and Sengun as non shooters, how can we fold Claxton into this?

Also you're looking at it as getting someone without losing our core 6, but that's an illusion. You're essentially trading someone from our core 7 for this guy. Would reconsider if I were you.

jcmoon likes this.
  5. Aruba77

theoretically if we got Claxton of course I don’t think we’d keep Adams. And if the pick is early lotto, I’d be hard pressed to trade that pick. But if the pick is #9 or #10 there just might not be guys we love there. And keep in mind Adams is only on contract for one year. Claxton provides skills we don’t currently have. Not a bad use of a late lotto pick in a weak draft. Just my opinion.

6. R=$

R=$ Member

Houston Rockets Trade Breakdown
    Change in Team Outlook: -2.4 ppg, -1.6 rpg, and +1.9 apg.
    Incoming Players
    [​IMG] Ausar Thompson
    21 year old, 6-6, 205 lb G from Overtime Elite (Georgia)
    8.8 ppg, 6.4 rpg, 1.9 apg in 25.1 minutes in 2023-2024
    [​IMG] Jaden Ivey
    22 year old, 6-4, 195 lb G from Purdue
    15.4 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 3.8 apg in 28.8 minutes in 2023-2024
    [​IMG] Quentin Grimes
    23 year old, 6-5, 210 lb SG from Houston
    7.0 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 1.3 apg in 20.1 minutes in 2023-2024
    Outgoing Players
    [​IMG] Jalen Green
    22 year old, 6-4, 186 lb SG from NBA G League Ignite
    19.9 ppg, 5.2 rpg, 3.6 apg in 31.9 minutes in 2023-2024
    [​IMG] Jabari Smith, Jr.
    20 year old, 6-11, 220 lb F from Auburn
    13.8 ppg, 8.2 rpg, 1.5 apg in 31.8 minutes in 2023-2024

7. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Hell no to trading Jabari

8. R=$

R=$ Member

Houston Rockets Trade Breakdown
    Change in Team Outlook: +7.2 ppg, +7.1 rpg, and +3.4 apg.
    Incoming Players
    [​IMG] Ausar Thompson
    21 year old, 6-6, 205 lb G from Overtime Elite (Georgia)
    8.8 ppg, 6.4 rpg, 1.9 apg in 25.1 minutes in 2023-2024
    [​IMG] Jaden Ivey
    22 year old, 6-4, 195 lb G from Purdue
    15.4 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 3.8 apg in 28.8 minutes in 2023-2024
    [​IMG] Jalen Duren
    20 year old, 6-10, 250 lb PF from Memphis
    13.7 ppg, 11.6 rpg, 2.4 apg in 29.1 minutes in 2023-2024
    [​IMG] Quentin Grimes
    23 year old, 6-5, 210 lb SG from Houston
    7.0 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 1.3 apg in 20.1 minutes in 2023-2024
    Outgoing Players
    [​IMG] Jalen Green
    22 year old, 6-4, 186 lb SG from NBA G League Ignite
    19.9 ppg, 5.2 rpg, 3.6 apg in 31.9 minutes in 2023-2024
    [​IMG] Jabari Smith, Jr.
    20 year old, 6-11, 220 lb F from Auburn
    13.8 ppg, 8.2 rpg, 1.5 apg in 31.8 minutes in 2023-2024
    [​IMG] Jae'sean Tate
    28 year old, 6-4, 230 lb F from Ohio State
    4.1 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 1.0 apg in 15.9 minutes in 2023-2024

Y2JT likes this.
  9. Aruba77

I’ve been intrigued with Detroit’s prospects, and I think Cade is truly coming around. But I prefer our prospects to the rest of these guys.

I think Ivy could have a great career in a DeAaron Fox type role, but that’s not really a great fit for our team given the shooting need. I was super high on Duran (and still am), but Detroit fans say he hasn’t developed much in year 2. I still think he could be a switchy defensive big and lob threat (he’s so young), but he’s not an obvious target. I’m sure Asuar will have a great career somewhere, but with the shooting liability he’s not a good fit for this team; Amen can do everything he can do.

so I just don’t see any good trade fits with Detroit other than Cade, who is their best prospect and they are not trading anyway. Detroit’s off my list of potential trade partners, but clearly they will be making moves this summer.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  10. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Trae Young or D Murray might be available this summer. Prime opportunity to use FVV's expiring contract to acquire Trae. If it's for Murray then we will have to send FVV to a 3rd team. We're obviously not going to extend him because he's NOT a guy who's willing to discuss a pay cut.

I'm honestly not sure if Udoka would want Trae though. He will never play defense. Elite offense obviously.

They're not going to rebuild because they're keeping one of those guys. So both FVV and Brooks will be interesting to them.

Is Murray for sure an upgrade over FVV? We will lose that elite asst/to ratio and high volume 3pt shooting. Interesting to think about.

BelgianRocketsFan likes this.
  11. OremLK

OremLK Member

I do not think you can build a top 10 defense with Trae Young and Sengun in the starting lineup. Let alone with Jalen Green in there as well

tagedieb, Corrosion and Mathloom like this.
  12. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Definitely a big concern.

I'd say this: we were a top 6 defense with Jalen and Sengun starting. Jalen is a better defender right now than he was early in the season. Both of them will be better defenders after a whole year with Udoka. Assuming we stand pat, I fully expect us to do better next season. Like top 4.

So then you swap FVV with Trae that's a major major defensive downgrade. But can we drop only 6 spots to 10th? What about the season after that, can we improve further on Sengun, Green, Jabari, Amen, Tari?

If yes, then it would be worth it. The offensive gap between Trae and FVV is gigantic too. Maybe larger than the defensive gap. Which theoretically is a step up while getting younger. If Udoka is on board I'm on board. There's also an argument to be made that letting Trae ending up with Wemby would create a monster in our division. If anyone can cover Trae's defense it's Wemby.

I think it's far more likely we go after Dejounte. That's a Spurs guy that Udoka knows well and he loves two way players. He left SAS on fussy terms, feeling like the grass is greener elsewhere. Last season he indicated that he would not mind going back - which tells me he may be ready to be a winner. I've been hesitant about his character and shooting but both of those things seem to have improved. Not my favorite fit either but I'm thinking it's better than having a lame duck FVV who I doubt will get extended at his current salary or anything near it.

Would miss FVV's leadership abilities though. He's a damn good fit here.

theDude likes this.
  13. Astrosfan183

Astrosfan183 Member

So I was listening to a national level podcast this morning and it again brought up that Atlanta should trade one of them this off-season, with a subtext that they should trade Trae. And that spawned a scary vision in my head that he might be the exact guy the Rockets target. I don't think Udoka would like it but he's not GM, although hopefully moves are run by him.

I'm very scared of what it'd take to get him, I have hard time seeing the Hawks taking just FVV + Picks without asking for a young player. Cam or Amen seem like the more likely candidates to move if we moved a young guy. Maybe I'm overrating Trae's value, I was kind of curious what people thought it would take to get Trae from an objective standpoint, even if you don't want him

I don't really like Murray's game that much either, personally would want to stay far away from both of them. But if what some of those reporters said about the Rockets wanting to rush into Phase 3 and get a star faster, Trae might be the easiest to get of any potential all-NBA level players.

Personal opinion is I want this team to stay patient and stay pat one more season with this core (just adding on the margins guys) but I'm worried they won't

Mathloom and Corrosion like this.
  14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If the Rockets get Trae Young, I think they would try Young and Sengun for a season, but ultimately either flip one for a more defensive oriented star if the defense is too bad. I will say Young and Sengun would make for a nice 1-2 punch offensively. Though, I don't see Green being much better defensively currently than Young (though Green is getting better) and I think Young woulld allow Amen to be on the court with Sengun offensively. Rockets would need an elite defensive SF that could hit 3s at a 40% clip whether from internal growth or external options. I think Jabari will get to being stronger defensively and get his 3pt shot in the 40% range to be the long term 4.

I don't think Stone would go for Murray. I don't think Jalen Green would be a Rocket if the Rockets got Young.

theDude likes this.
  15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Trade for Trae Young? The Hawks haven't won more than 43 games since he got there... in the east.
    We're basically at that right now.
    What would be the point?

This is like saying we should try and trade a bunch of assets for KD... who is surrounded by Devin Booker, Bradley Beal and solid role players... and they are the 7th seed. Would he be our best player? Sure. Might we get a little better in the short term? Sure. Would we remotely have any chance at winning a ring? No.

This is like saying we should trade Alpi... and theoretically multiple picks, for Zion. Zion averages 23/6/5. Alpi averages 21/9/5. Their advance stats are very similar. The difference is Alpi is 2 years younger and, historically at least, doesn't get injured taking him out for huge chunks of effectively every season.

Well what's my bright idea you ask?!?

I don't have one! So there!

In all truth, i think you add 3pt snipers, ideally 3&D players, and roll the rest out the same. Mikal Bridges being the obvious, without giving up any of the "core 6" prospects.

16. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Brooks+2027 Brooklyn swap+2027 Rockets FRP (top 4 protected)+we allow them to protect 2026 pick from #7 on to end if lotto. Basically, it only conveys to us if it’s a top six

They pretty much agree to give us a great pick in 2025. We protect ourselves a bit in 2026 The pick ends up super high, but we allow them to potentially freeze themselves of our ownership two years early. This allows us to keep #9. Draft Tidjane Salaun and allow him to stay at Cholet a year.

17. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I seriously doubt you're getting Trae Young for FVV + picks. The Hawks do not have their own FRPs for a while, so tanking really does nothing for them. Besides, let's say we mortgage our future to get Young without trading one of our young guys -- how are you going to pay everyone? FVV's contract is setup perfectly for extensions. Either way, if you're trading for Young, he's going to replace one of the young guys.

I'm guessing if the Rockets really want Young, they'll have to trade Green. In that case, I'd guess the four guys we'd build around would be Young, Thompson, Smith, and Sengun. Young and Sengun would handle the offense, Amen and Bari would handle the defense.

Now, do I like the idea of trading for Young? No, not at all. But I would be lying if I said I wouldn't be interested in seeing a Young and Sengun offensive pairing.

Strawberry Gum and xaos like this.
  18. xaos

xaos Member

I think work has broken my brain this week because I read this 3 times and can't figure out what we get in return lol

Y2JT, theDude and Corrosion like this.
  19. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Agree with most that Trae is not ideal, but to say FVV + picks is not enough is not true. It's just about the number of picks. FVV is simply functioning as the perfect expiring contract in this context, which was always one of the benefits of signing him. Could be Daishen Nix on a $40m expiring for all they care. My guess is they want 2 good picks and 2 crap picks for Trae and they will use those picks to re-tool. FVV is an average starter on an expiring contract, his net value to them is as a placeholder and to create cap space for them the following summer.

In general though this is good news. Obviously more stars will become available as teams get eliminated from the playoffs. When stars get traded, it can loosen the grip on other stars like a domino effect. So if we're going after a star, things are looking good.

Still think upgrading Brooks to Mikal Bridges is by far the best move we can make this summer. We would likely have to involve a 3rd team that actually wants Brooks and will send an expiring contract and an additional FRP the Nets' way. I feel like Marks has a personal beef with trading for his picks back at a discount since it makes him look so bad. I have a feeling they will get rid of him and the new GM will be excited to fix his mistake. I'd bet money Bridges will get traded for 3 picks or less this summer and we discover that the reports of the Nets rejecting 5 picks and 4 picks were lies created by Marks.

20. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

lol….. sorry…. Bridges.

xaos likes this.