1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rocket Trade Ideas 2019-20

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Jul 24, 2019.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

His MVP says he is. His top 10 status says he is. His 3 straight seasons averaging triple doubles say he is. His 2 seasons leading league in scoring says he is. Being the most explosive, most athletic PG in the NBA says he is.

Of course you thinking he isnt is more substantive. :rolleyes:

fattz, da_juice, roslolian and 3 others like this.
  2. thekad

thekad Member

I like combining those two trades to send Westbrook to Minnesota, Teague/asset(s) to Toronto, and Covington/Lowry to Houston.

Lowry/Harden/Rivers
    Harden/Gordon
    Covington/House
    Tucker/Covington
    Capela/Chandler

Obviously the Rockets could have just kept Chris Paul and traded away all those picks for Covington or another big wing, but beggars can’t be choosers staring down the barrel of Westbrook’s terrible contract.

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Idk, I guess it all depends on what you look at and what you care about.

WB is the better player for a team who needs someone to come in and put up big numbers, Lowry, like CP3, IMO are better players and fits in our system, and for any team trying to win a championship.

WB's one of the absolute worst shooters on high volume scorers in NBA history, he is a mediocre defender, he has a very high turnover rate. At the same time, he was a MVP, he's had his triple-doubles (good passer and rebounder), people think he's a top 10 players (not me lulz), he certainly is explosive and athletic as hell.

This year with Houston he had a BPM of 1.8, a WS/48 of .90, a TS% of 49.7%. He has functionally been awful in our system, those numbers make him the worst starter on our team, and he wasn't much better last year for OKC. We've been coasting due to Harden being RIDICULOUSLY good, while us also having a pretty weak schedule so far, I fear WB is going to cost us a really good year of Harden's prime.

I feel like CP3 or Lowry being on the team instead of WB, that we'd have a much better chance at the ring, like a damn good one.

harold bingo likes this.
  4. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I know you like CP3 …. but man , I'm glad he's gone. Bye Felicia ….

I found it hard as hell to root for that guy. I HATED him in NO and with the Clippers. I just tolerated him here ….

roslolian and JamalP. like this.
  5. jch1911

jch1911 Member

I understand all of y'all who want to trade WB, but just realize... I don't think he is going anywhere this season as long as Harden is here.

Also, if you saw that Portland game, you saw the good and bad of Brodie. That's what I think we should be prepared to live with.

Let's look for a (big) backup wing and win the d@mn thing! Go Rox!

beardsanity713, D-rock and jb86 like this.
  6. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

This surprises me. I would assume there are ways to free up Westbrook on the perimeter while creating space for him to drive to the rim, which is what we want him to be doing.

I agree that Westbrook has historically been good with traditional pick-and-roll centers like Adams, and would expect that he can be successful on the Rockets without being paired with a 3-point shooting center.

7. jb86

jb86 Member

Y'all are tripping. We are 11-3. The stat that only matters is wins and loses.

D-rock likes this.
  8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

This used to be a fun spitballing thread. But with TILMAN's LT stance, hard to get too excited about what moves can be made.

9. D-rock

D-rock Member

Let's let the season play out and see.

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  10. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Yeah , now we aren't talking about how we can improve the team so much as how we can duck the tax line.

All those assets that have circled the drain …. down the tubes for a few dollars.

Frustrating time to be a Rockets fan - best player on the planet in your uniform , cheapest owner on the planet wearing #17.

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

We already tried it with Cp3, he sucked ass last season especially in the playoffs. With his age he isn't gonna get better, he is just gonna get worse. Lowry is the same as CP3, he has been fading fast and always played like crap in the playoffs. WB has always performed better than those guys and at the end of the day talent>fit. Dwade is a worse fit than Irving with Lebron but guess who is the better sidekick for him?

You don't have to preach about WB's weaknesses on the board, but maybe if you look at other stats than just TS you will find he has a synergistic effect on this team. The reality is Rox have never been a great shooting team, they rely on volume to score more than efficiency so adding WB's clanks doesn't have a huge negative impact because he makes up for it with his aggressiveness and rebounding. The Rockets needed a slasher who can make things happen because Harden just wants to ISO and the other 3 guys just stand at a corner somewhere CP3 is too old and Lowry is too small and slow to do that. Rox starters have had the top or one of the top 5 starter net differentials in the league for a reason. Instead of worrying about WB costing Harden another year, you should open your eyes and see it is playing with his BFF WB that is further elevating Harden's game.

You know how tight the two are yet here you are with the audacity of trying to trade WB away lmao. Harden cares about WB than your feelings lol. Once we traded for WB there is no going back. If you trade WB expect Harden to get traded soon after cuz that means the window has closed.

12. JackLordsHair66

You mean that trade for Shumpert didn't have championship written all over it last year :rolleyes:

Deuce likes this.
  13. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

how about signing Paul gasol for backup. He is good center and power forward who has MBA final experience. Use him to guard AD or Gianns for few minutes

14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Going to be a hard year for haters...

15. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Which might be a blessing, given how trades seldom if ever happen anymore.

It’s usually grabbing someone off the waiver pile now.

16. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Why am I reading about trading Westbrook?
    What is wrong with you people?

fattz, Corrosion and D-rock like this.
  17. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Not sure what it is that surprises you - the fact that I stated 5 out essentially double teams a ball handler ?

That's because the spacing just isn't there when you put a 5th player on the perimeter - It just ruins the spacing and that spacing is what makes this offense work , especially when Harden isn't on the floor.
    Putting everyone on the perimeter just puts defenders in too close a proximity - too easy to double the ballhandler.
    Not only that , what defender is helping off of his man when the ball handler makes his way to the basket ? Probably not the guy on the baseline as he's the furthest from the action and that guy is no longer the help defender for the big who's typically in the middle , the help likely comes from the closest defender on the wing …. those open corner 3's aren't there 5 out.

This one's all about geometry ….With 5 out that 78.5ft arc shrinks ….

Relativist likes this.
  18. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

That's because we don't have any assets to make trades with …. all the assets get given away to duck the tax.

Kinda hard to turn TMac's expiring contract into James Harden when you not only gave away the contract but assets along with it. TMac / Rafer-> Martin / Lowry -> Harden.

Just imagine what they could have added to this team at the deadline having …. Ryan Anderson's expiring sitting on the books along with all the assets used to get rid of it ?

Just imagine how much more talent they could have if they had used the MLE over the last two seasons rather than letting most of it go to waste - All they have used the MLE for in the past 2 seasons is portions for Isaiah Hartenstein ($838,464), Gary Clark ($596,872) last year , letting $3.9m go to waste and House this year (cant complain about that one) but still have $2.178m of that left.

da_juice likes this.
  19. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

can we sign some good bench players?

20. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

No.

Luxury Tax.

Random trade thread is dead for the foreseeable future.
    The only magic Morey is allowed to work now is ducking the tax.