1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rafer Alston: What a difference 3.7% makes

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Streets 01, Mar 10, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Streets 01

Streets 01 Member

2006-2007: 13.3 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 5.4 apg, 1.6 spg, 0.1 bpg, 2.07 topg
    37.5 FG%, 36.3 3PT%, 73.4 FT%

2007-2008: 12.8 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 5.7 apg, 1.4 spg, 0.2 bpg, 2.12 topg
    41.2 FG%, 35.0% 3PT, 65.9 FT%

Difference this year:

-0.5 ppg, +0.1 rpg, +0.3 apg, -0.2 spg, +0.1 bpg, +.05 topg
    +3.7% FG%, -1.3 3PT%, -7.5 FT%

Overall, the differences in his stats this year are negligible, even his 3pt shooting is down. Last year people wanted him gone (me being one of them). What a difference that 3.7% makes, huh?

2. zilches

zilches Member

Hmmm...I think the major difference has been since January. That is why the stat is misleading.

If Rafer stays with it, it's huge. If not, and he dips back to his career play, we just have to deal with a weak link on the team.

3. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

3.7% is a big jump for a guy like Rafer -- that's a huge help ... but I don't think it's just that. It's more the very high level he's played at recently. He started out the year miserably shooting the ball... worse than ever, but he rebounded and lately has been playing unbelievable -- much better than his overall season percentages in both FG% and 3P%.

I do believe he will drop down to Earth, but unlike before, I'm not sure we'll see the 37% guy again -- You have to give him tremendous credit for his improvement. He certainly deserves a lot of praise and respect for that.

4. skip to my lou

he has been playing well since december

5. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, but Alston was steady on his numbers last year, while the first 30 games of this season was probably his worst 30 games as a pro. ( shooting wise). To come back from how bad he looked earlier is amazing. Much like how luther shot around 44% from 3's all last season, while shane went from super cold to super hot.

6. rocketshopeful

one reason to believe he wont be that 37 % is that he knows how to finish around the bucket much better. He could always get to the rim because he has excellent handling and speed. What a difference those lay-up drills make!

7. BoomShakalaka

BoomShakalaka Member

One of the reasons why the 3.75% looks so impressive is the fact that Rafer was shooting like 34% at the beginning of the season, he has shot way better for the past 2 months in order to bring up that % to were it is now.

8. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Wow. Even Clutch believes?!?!?!?

Championship! ;)

9. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

+3.7% is misleading ...because Rafer was shooting like <30% well into December. So to improve to a +3.7% rate means he's probably been shooting somewhere over 40% since January ...which is when our win streak started.

10. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Compare Skip's stats since this January on with the totals from all of last season. You'll see it's more than just a 3.7 increase in FG% thats making him better...

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

One of the things he's really improved upon is his defense. Rafer was a decent team defender last year, but now he's outstanding, and not bad one on one, depending on the matchup. I don't want to jinx the streak, so I'll keep whatever doubts I still harbor to myself. May Alston keep it going until June!

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The "season average" stats for each of the Rockets players (or even the season +/- and whatever) is rather misleading at this point.

There really was two separate seasons this year... November/December when the team struggled to find consistency and January to now, when the team finally started rolling.

13. liberty

liberty Member

Honestly, Alston is better than before. But he is still the weakest one comparing with other top teams of WC in our team. His assist is still not too much. Don't know anybody has noticed that, he never passed the ball after he penetrated, even there is any other teamates in the better position.

14. Lumix

Lumix Member

Rafer earns respect from the oldest hater here, unbelievable :D .......

15. WNBA

WNBA Member

3.7% increase in shooting percentage is huge.

16. BoomShakalaka

BoomShakalaka Member

Tracy controls most of the ball movement

17. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

I think you can trace Rafer's improved play when he decided to drive to the basket. I think he let that part of the game dry up in Van Gundy's system. By committing to taking it to the hoop he improved in his ability to finish and this built his confidence overall.

18. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

Exactly. 43.1% and 38.8% in February, 51.4% and 44.4% in March so far!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/gamelog?playerId=11

19. imsleepwaIkin

imsleepwaIkin Contributing Member

[​IMG]
    Rafer Alston's stat line over the 19 game winning streak. Pretty sick.

20. blaqnitti

blaqnitti Member

This demonstrates two things to me:

Stats don't tell the whole story

and

Rafer was not actual as bad as many here would have you believe