1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Radio] Jeff Kent a Dodger

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rikesh316, Dec 9, 2004.

1. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Big Nasty in LA says he is in LA and press conference today

2. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

He should have gone to St Louis if he wanted a legit shot at a ring. Offensively the Dodgers are an one man show (Beltre).

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Shawn Green's not too shabby either. I like this, if for nothing else it means he's not going to STL.

4. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

With Kent, it appears they're a 2 man show. I knew he'd get a multi-year deal.

5. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Great move for the Dodgers, they need all the offense they can get.

I'll always have that walk off homer in the playoffs to remember Kent - it was the best Astros moment I have ever had.

6. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

wow, back to Cali for him. Good luck there Kent.

7. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

Yeah, it makes sense. He'll be in LA just in time to watch his alma mater in the Rose B ... wait, maybe he should've signed with San Diego? ;)

Seriously, though, I"m just glad he's not in the NL Central.

I'll always remember him for the Game 5 walk off.

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

think Giants fans booed him before!!!??? :)

9. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Lot's of luck Jeff we appreciate all you did while you were here. So what do the Stros do now? I just can't buy into giving Chris Burke the job. If this team wants to win now they're not looking like it. We've lost our top RBI man, we may lose Beltran, we've got four of our most vital pieces as injury question marks (Miller, Pettitte, Berkman, Everett), and Bagwell and Biggio are on the verge of retirement. I just can't figure out what the Stros are doing. If you want to play the young guys than why bother resigning Biggio? If you want to win with Bagwell and Biggio then why not retain Kent? I can only hope the idea is to use Kent's money to resign Beltran, I'll take a youth movement if Beltran is a part of it.

10. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Just read elsewhere that the Angels are about to sign Steve Finley to a 2 year 20 mill deal. If so great for the Stros, drop a major contender out of the Beltran sweepstakes.

11. benzman501

benzman501 Member

Phillyrocket is that credable move or just a rumor? If a credable move than thats very good for us

12. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

13. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3233388

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The Astros did their best to re-sign him... but the Dodgers did offer a better deal.

Frankly, with all the bad deals the Dodgers have done over the years, this one looks like a steal... even if its 8.5 million dollars a year for a 36 and 37 year old player.

15. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Good for us if we sign Beltran...bad for us if we don't.

16. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

But if Beltran signs with the Yanks then the Stros are left with Jason Lane in centerfield unless they can trade for Cory Patterson because the Cubs are shopping him.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Ugh... I know Patterson may play well against us... but for those of you who don't see him the other 3/4's of the year... you're saving yourself a lot of frustration.

There's a reason why Chicago is shopping a younger than 28/supposed 5-tool player.

18. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

That's the one and only alternative? Take another look. The $$$ Kent received will be usable for two studleys, IMO.

Dodgers seriously OVERpaid, IMHO.

19. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

Did anyone see the press conference? I only saw a small clip of it and it looked and sounded like he was or about to start crying. Talking about going to Dodger games as kid with his dad, then joking about how he once wanted to beat that crap out of them.

Good luck Kent but I hope you and your team suck when you play against the Astros or can affect the Astros play off chances.

20. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Good Luck Jeff. The homer he hit in the playoffs was awesome and I thought he was a very solid player. It`s cool he can play in front of his parents