1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Questions from a Trump Supporter

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, Feb 21, 2020.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Escalation is a result of AM radio and the internet comment section. Just a lot more people in an ideological bubble thanks to things like YouTube algorithms that know what you are inclined to like.

B@ffled likes this.
  2. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

Why are you drawing a conclusion that I'm defending Trump?

3. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

Sure. I'm not denying that's a factor. There's plenty of blame to go around. The point is that someone has to rise above it. If you can't see your party's role in any of this then you're contributing to the problem.

4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

"Meant to be outrageous to make a point". You were the one complaining about the way discussions play out and the increasing divide in the country. If you don't have a serious discussion then don't complain when people ignore or insult your points.

5. NewRoxFan

If that is my takeaway from your "outrageous to make a point" arguments... perhaps presenting your "points" in a different way might make sense. Or not... since its becoming increasingly clear you are not here for discussion...

6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I think this person lacks a certain level of understanding that is reflected in the simplistic nature of their questions. Plus, it looks like they can't count to ten.

7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've been stuck with the flu for a few days so no this isn't a waste of time.

Besides that he did ask and rather nicely so what harm is there in answering those. I understand he lives in a bubble. Heck he's one of the guys filling the bubble If he asks nicely I have no problem poking his bubble. I might not pop it but at least it gives him something besides whatever drivel he saw on "2nd Amendment Patriots" or Sean Hannity. As I said I don't expect to win him over but for those of us wondering why these people think the way they do it actually helps to listen to them now and then rather than just backslap ourselves in our own enlightened superiority.

RayRay10 and Buck Turgidson like this.
  8. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Fear of immigrants isn't something that Trump invented. It goes back to the founding of this country. Trump as the master conman he is has just exploited it like so many other issues. I mean if he really feared immigrants as much as he claims he wouldn't have married three nor had Trump Resorts hire so many.

For my friend he I believe that he really believes that immigrants, especially "illegals" and Muslims of any legality are a threat to his way of life. There is a big disconnect considering he considers myself a friend and I celebrate my immigrant background and he has had Mexican students (don't know what their immigration status is but wouldn't surprise me if at least there parents didn't come through proper channels) and Somali students. Even with that he still believes that Mexicans are taking our jerbs! and anyday now Muslims are going to ban pork and institute Sharia law in Anoka County MN.

RayRay10 and Buck Turgidson like this.
  9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Trump married 3 white immigrants - let's remember that it's the browning of America that Trump detests - I think he genuinely shares his dislike for brown immigrants which is why it's so easy for him to stir the pot and appeal to those who share his feelings. He is the first major party candidate to do so while not coming from the David Duke ranks.

In other words, he legitimizes their feelings and empowers those feelings. He is part con man, but I don't think he believes he is a con man. He believes he is a savior and that he has king is the best thing for himself, his family - and by extension what is good for him is good for the country and anyone who doesn't see it that way is his enemy.

Your friend has bought into this. While individually he may respect you, the only way he will turn is if he can see Trump's policy as directly causing you unjust pain. And even then that might not shift him. This is very much the situation that has happened over and over in human history.

10. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No that policy was not in place prior to Trump being on office. Prior to Trump being in office, the policy was to keep families together except when it was uncertain that the children were with their families.

What we need to stop is people believing the lies that it was policy to do that as standard operating procedure prior to Trump.

We are correct to call out the humane policies of Donald Trump and desire to see him held accountable for them.

RayRay10 likes this.
  11. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Sadly, at this point in time, anyone who still supports this president with everything we know about his shortcomings is beyond the capacity for rational discussion and only worthy of ridicule. Especially, any moderate Democrats who believe he is a viable option.

RayRay10 likes this.
  12. Buck Turgidson

If it's inevitable just sit back and enjoy it, right?

13. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

The rest of it aside, this is the part that has interested me lately, it wasn't that long ago, really anyone over 30 would remember it, that it was the democrats that primarily argued quality of life, and republicans who argued moral jurisprudence, the boehner's and romney's of the world have never really cared about the quality of life of the average person, yet now it's completely flipped, i never thought it was a great strategy for the republicans, it served more of a drag as people feel like they're being preached too, it's an even worse one for the democrats who lack solid grounding on morality with independents to begin with (they'd need to completely divest themselves of hollywood for example).

And where does that go if palpatine buys his way to the nomination?

14. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Interesting post.

If you're talking about the concern of the quality of life of the average person are you referring to populist protectionist messages? If so I will agree with you as the parties have flipped on that. If regarding the morality of Hollywood having mostly been an independent and primarily voting and campaigning for independent candidates within the Minnesota Independence Party my impression is that moral issues aren't really a factor in that. In fact people like Jesse Ventura specifically campaigned against what he saw as the moralizing of the GOP while arguing against the nanny state of the Democrats.

15. NewRoxFan

Hmm... I don't think any party that has nominated, supported, elected, defended, and is now trying to re-elect donald trump has any position to question anyone's morality, let alone claim it for their purposes...

16. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

No I'm talking about the core messaging, Trump's message is essentially i'm doing what is necessary to make your lives better, and he has been, in his bombastic ******* way, the only time he will ever touch a moralistic position when it's on the extreme end (terrorism, awful crimes, that sort of thing), the democrat message has become some function of donald trump is the dark and we are fighting for the light.

Which is a complete inversion of the parties positions in recent times, Bill Clinton certainly never campaigned on morality (lol), neither did Obama (his message was most certainly about an improvement in life), on jesse ventura, that's what i'm saying, the GOP position was moralizing, it's not anymore, the parties have inverted (to quote you "for the soul of the country", but this is a talking point of the democrat candidates)

The Hollywood thing is more just an example of the platform the democrats sit upon, they've also tried to paint Trump to be far worse than he really is, but the further you go with that, the less it becomes believable, the more it peels off the middle, much like what the GOP tried to do to Bill.