1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Question for Texans fans.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by BanginScrew, Sep 30, 2002.

1. BanginScrew

BanginScrew Member

I've been talking to some fans from other teams about a trade, and if they would be oppose to their favorite making this trade.

Now I know trades rarely ever happen in the NFL, and since I'm not Jerry himself this will more than likely never happen.

Would you guys be oppose to the Texans trading for Larry Allen? Since Dallas has installed the West Coast offense it's become pretty clear (to me anyways) that Allen is not really suited for this type of offense. The West Coast offense calls for their O-Linemen to be more athletic, and mobil. Allen is about 6'4" 350 lbs, and is more of a mauler. He's MUCH better at one on one blocking instead of just blocking an area.

I've realized that one of the biggest areas of concern for the Texans has been their O-Line (mostly because of injuries) but with a healthy Boselli lining up next to Larry Allen you wouldn't have to worry much about the running game because them two would be opening up holes even my grandma could run through. You also wouldn't have to worry much about people blitzing from Carr's blindside because it would be almost impossible for a safety to beat these guys.

That sounds good and all but here's the hard part. With Allen being a franchise type (certain Hall of Famer) O-Lineman he won't come that cheap. Now I'm not proposing this trade take place until after the season (maybe during the draft) but would you guys be oppose to trading Corey Bradford + one 2nd round + one 3rd round pick for Larry Allen? Remember I said the trade would happen after the season so Gafney would have a full year under his belt, and the Texans would still have their 1st round pick to take a stud WR or a stud RB to run behind Allen, and Boselli.

So would you guys be oppose to something like this?

2. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Allen is too old for my taste.

And I'm not sure if Dallas would ever trade Houston their best player. And vice versa.

3. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Oh, all right. I'll play Fantasy GM. Larry Allen is probably the best player on your team (yes, besides a certain someone named Emmitt). I'd consider trading Bradford and a 3rd rounder for him. However, if we're too good this year (assuming a trade could happen immediately), we'll miss out on extra draft picks (not that Allen would necessarily propel us to the playoffs anyway). Therefore, since I like the idea of picking Charles Rogers or Roy Williams in next year's draft, I'll say, "No thanks." Appreciate the offer, though. Let the Texans continue to play expansion-style football. We need them picks! Besides, I'm content just to beat the Cowboys this year. :) (Just had to get in that dig...)

However, if we could just lure Bruce Matthews and Mike Munchak out of retirement for the league minimum while Young and Boselli heal, I'll consider that... :D

4. BanginScrew

BanginScrew Member

Actually Allen is only like 31 years old. His rookie year was in '94. As for trading with Houston, why not? Jerry is friends with Houston's owner, and neither team are in the same division (much less conference). The Texans would actually be the perfect trading partner for the Cowboys.

I know it's not likely I just wanted to hear what Houston fans thought about it.

5. BanginScrew

BanginScrew Member

Actually I was proposing the trade happen during the offseason, more than likely around draft time or during the draft.

Of coarse since Dallas is trading it's best player the trade would have to be for a 2nd, and 3rd rounder as well as Bradford. The Texans would keep both 1st rounders, and still have a 2nd, and 3rd to spare.

6. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Question is would the Cowboys really want Bradford? They already have Galloway, Rocket, (yeah I know he's out for the year and may retire), Bryant, who's looked pretty good, and Darnay Scott, probably just a one year thing. Also they have a bunch of younger guys who are deserving of a few snaps like Swinton and Rambo. WR is a strength and will be next year as well. The O-line however has questions for nex year. Both starting tackles are free agents and it's been rumored the Cowboys will only keep one. Gurode has played well at center and Lehr and Garmon are decent. So why would the Cowboys trade away from an area of concern to bolster an rea of strength? Don't mean to rain on anyone's parade I wish their were more trades in the NFL as well.

7. Gascon

Gascon Member

I would make that trade. We'd be contending in three to four years.

8. BanginScrew

BanginScrew Member

WR is one of the stronger areas however the team doesn't seem to be sold on Swinton, and may have questions about Rambo ... which is why they signed Darnay Scott. Scott will only be on the team for 1 year, and Rocket is due a raise in pay next year. Considering Rocket's age, and injury history he may not be brought back. A starting 3 WR combo of Galloway, Bryant, and Bradford with Rambo, and Swinton as the 4th/5th WR's we are automatically that much better.

Allen's injuries may be in part because he's being asked to move around more in the new blocking scheme. Dallas has already started to move more toward smaller more athletic linemen in Matt Lehr, Tyson Walter, and Javier Collins. Gurode and either Page or Flozell will more than likely be the only HUGE O-Linemen Dallas will have (if Larry Allen is traded).

9. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Assuming the Texans can get Rogers in the draft, I would make that trade. I think both teams win that way.

10. coma

coma Contributing Member

We'll be contending in 3 or 4 years anyway.

I feel Larry Allen has about 2 maybe 3 serviceable years left in him. With Pitts, Weary, Young, and whoever replaces Boselli, our O-Line will be top notch.

I really like Pitts and Weary. They could go on and become Pro Bowlers.

11. Refman

Pitts has committed a TON of holding penalties this year. He will become a good OT IF and only IF he can keep his penalties in check.

I do like Weary an awful lot though.

12. coma

coma Contributing Member

Pitts is playing out of position. On top of that, he's a rookie.

13. BanginScrew

BanginScrew Member

I would say that Allen has about 3 more dominating years left in him if he's in the right system. After that I would say about 2 more servicable years.

14. Possum

Possum Member

Pitts is going to move to left guard when Bosseli comes back. He's only playing tackle because of all the injuries. Cut the guy some slack he's a rookie playing the toughest position on the line on an expansion team.

15. Refman

So when Boselli comes back and Pitts moves over...who sits on the bench?

16. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

Interesting to note is that Pitts only played like 1 year (if that much) of high school ball before going to San Diego State. So, while he will take quite a bit of time to get his techniques down and ramp up his game to take the speed and size increases of the NFL into account, he hasn't been beaten up as much as most of the linemen coming out of college. Plus, the Texans' caoching staff have more of a "blank slate" to work with rather than someone who may have developed bad habits that worked for him because he was bigger and stronger than his opponents.