1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Question for posters with "real" jobs.....

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RocketMan Tex, Jul 18, 2001.

1. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Originally posted by Crispee:
    Yes, I have considered that. Of course, what I want to do is my first priority; where I do it is second.

True and also considered. That particular bonus doesn't really matter to me...as for monetary bonuses, it's the college loan repayment I'm most concerned with.

I can see how that would be possible, but if (for example) I have extensive computer training as a result of my (guaranteed) MOS, I would think it would be easier to get a job related to that field than if I wound up being a public affairs officer, or an infantry officer or something. (right?)

It is my understanding, and also what my recruiter told me, that civilians go through a standard Army Recruiter whether or not they go enlisted or through OCS.

I would have input on what I did as an officer, yes. BUT, nothing is guaranteed. I would get to list 3 personal preferences, but ultimately where I go and what I do is up to them. With being enlisted, I get to choose what I want to do, guaranteed. I am also, for example, considering Military Intelligence (no oxymoron jokes, please [​IMG]). If I do that for 4 years enlisted and then go through OCS, odds are I'll be an Intelligence Officer since that is what I'd have been doing for the previous 4 years.

What really makes me uneasy about the OCS route is this:
    If I enlist and request OCS, and then I am not selected for OCS or I don't make it through OCS training for whatever reason, I will still be required to fulfill my obligation as an enlisted man, and I will get none of the benefits I mentioned above.

I know that being selected for OCS is a very competetive process. I'd be very afraid of not being selected and then not getting any of those benefits.

------------------
    "I have no regrets except that I wasn't up to keep Randy from getting on that plane."
    --Ozzy Osbourne on guitarist Randy Rhodes

2. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

I have a real job. I work in Dallas. My boss is based in Atlanta. I work anywhere from 9 or 9:30 to 4 or 4:30 with a two hour lunch.

[​IMG]

My boss says, as long as I am getting it done, he doesn't care what I do. He he he he!!!

------------------
    My doctor says I am bipolar. I am going to get a second opinion. I have never had intimate desires for polar bears.

3. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

HOOP-T has been retired.

------------------
    "Oh No..."
    -Bill Walton in 97 just before Stockton's buzzer beater

4. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Man, all this would be a moot point if I were a business major. At UT, these guys get RECRUITED, and wined and dined. My friend got an internship that paid her 3700 a month. When she graduates with business honors, hter will be a 60K/a year job waiting for her. How undignified for us Advertising majors to fight over an unpaid internship.

Time for plan B. I think I'm gonna win the lottery.

------------------
    "norm, would you like to buy an indian scalp ? This deal isn't gonna make or break me Norm, so don't jerk me around." Harry Carey "Norm, if I had a mohawk scalp, I wouldn't be sitting here talking to you."

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I work flex hours, but most places I work at, I'm in at work by 7:00am because I like to get into work early and get home early (if possible). I have no problem with getting to work that early, but part of that is because I'm so goal-driven and enjoy my work. I work for a very small company now (got sick of the huge companies) and most of my co-workers roll in around 9:00am or so. I could never do that.

I've always thought an internship is a good thing for someone in school simply because you get an idea of what working in the real world will be like. Prepare to be shocked (in many cases).

What kind of job are you getting? Kitty caretaker? lol. j/k... seriously what is your field of study?

------------------
    "I'll tell you this, the older I get, the less I trust people. It's true. It's damn true." -- gr8-1 going through some growing pains.

6. gr8-1

LOL. Yep, kitty caretaker or women's relationship expert. Lord knows I'm good at both of those.

I'm an advertising major at THE UNIVERSITY. But, I'm not sure I can see myself doing that kind of stuff.

------------------
    "norm, would you like to buy an indian scalp ? This deal isn't gonna make or break me Norm, so don't jerk me around." Harry Carey "Norm, if I had a mohawk scalp, I wouldn't be sitting here talking to you."

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I work in QA and as a WinRunner programmer, but mostly I just visit this site all day long. [​IMG] Recently, I've had lead and management positions for the most part.

I was studying to be an electrical engineer back in the early 90's and started reading about the Y2K bug. I read about there being a big demand for people to test software for this problem. I knew DOS and Win95 backwards and forwards from running a BBS as a kid and from just being a geek. I saw an ad in a newspaper looking for a tester, so I figured "how hard could it be to test an application?" I interviewed with them and blew them away with my knowledge of computer hardware and software, but they were concerned that I didn't have a degree. I told them not to worry, and that I would find more bugs in their application than any degreed person they had. The manager laughed and said, we'll give you a shot, but we can't really pay you much since you don't have a degree. Damn, he wasn't kidding, either... I was making chumpchange back then.

I set up a BBS for that company, set up a website for that company back when websites were still a "fad", and the rest is history. I dropped out of college after working there a couple of months. I just started gaining experience and knowledge and now I'm to the point where my lack of a degree really won't hinder me much, if any.

It took some luck, a lot of 12-18 hour days initially, a lot of help from programmers, and sheer tenacity to learn what I didn't know since I didn't have a college education. I wouldn't trade the experience for anything. [​IMG]

------------------
    "I'll tell you this, the older I get, the less I trust people. It's true. It's damn true." -- gr8-1 going through some growing pains.

8. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

Thanks for all the input y'all!

See, I'm in a difficult boat -- I have an awesome resume, great credentials, an internship, everything. But it doesn't seem to matter. And I was a business major, but I didn't get wined and dined or any of that crap -- I got rejection letters before even sending out my resume!!

I'm thinking of teaching now . . . I could teach either CS or Speech/Communications

------------------
    I'm looking for a job, so hire me

"And I just have to smile and say 'well, I hope so' while I'm really thinking inside how I'd like to just strangle them and take their job."

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

hmmmmmm. I think this is a lie.

Anyhow, you sound like you know exactly what you want to do. When I joined, I definitely got tired of people giving me advice, since I was so focused. You sound focused. Good for you.

You are absolutely right about the advantages of OSC after enlisted years. btw: Military Intelligence has the best computers jobs. Plus if you like languages, the Army Intelligence schools have the *best* language schools anywhere in the country. I'm serious. They train all State Dept people there, CIA, etc. It is "total immersion" learning. Pick Fort Ord, it is near Pebble Beach.

That is what they offered me at re-up. $8k bonus, Military Intelligence, Fort Ord, choice of languages (Russian), Embassy assignment....the works.

You can do that, but I'm pretty sure you'll have a long wait for it. If you haven't already gone through the paperwork, they should be able to tell you your waiting time for the choice jobs.

10. Lynus302

Posted by Crispee:
    Really? Hmmm.....I did approach my recruiter initially about OCS. I made an appt with him and only talked about OCS. It was me who originally brought up the question of enlisting in the first place.

How would I go about finding out if my info is accurate?

------------------
    "I have no regrets except that I wasn't up to keep Randy from getting on that plane."

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Lynus,

I'm actually thinking you will like Enlisted better. But if you want to pursue OSC, you should know that each recruiting company has a commanding officer, if nothing else. They are companies, or part of companies. I went to one in Houston as a Vet to inquire about Reserves, and that is where I met the officer who told me never to trust the Enlisted recruiters if you are asking about OSC.

Treat them like car salesmen.

Try calling a different recruiting office and asking for an Officer Recruiter. Or go to the ROTC officer at your university and ask. If nothing else, I could give you my friend's email address, who is a Colonel in the Reserves. He said he'd be glad to talk to you. He might know a recruiter.

Plus, the OCS website does have a BBS that is well attented. You could ask them where to go.

12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

On a per hour basis, these guys do not make much more than the normal person.

------------------
    American business long ago gave up on demanding that prospective employees be honest and hardworking. It has even stopped hoping for employees who are educated enough that they can tell the difference between the men's room and the women's room without having little pictures on the doors.

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

No kidding. I believe $60k translates to about 30-32/hr IF working the standard 8 hour day and about 10 off days during the year. I know people that were making that working in IT with no degrees and about 1-2 years of experience at most.

I've always been of the opinion : You can keep your wine and your dine; show me the money. [​IMG]

------------------

[This message has been edited by Dr of Dunk (edited July 18, 2001).]

14. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

haven: Email me and I'll give you details. Yes, checking can be done.

jeff@clutchcity.net

------------------
    How the hell should I know why God would allow the Holocaust. I don't even know how the electric can opener works. - from Hannah and Her Sisters

15. gr8-1

What can I email you ?? can you do the cover sheet also ?

------------------

16. gr8-1

no offense to the others. [​IMG] But, how do you guys feel about the 8-5 thing ? I'm at UT, and I have trouble waking up before 11. Is it stressful ? Does it get worse after you graduate ?

Also, I don't have an internship and I don't intend to get one. Is it still possible for me to get a good job ? I'm an advertising major. Is it too early for me to post my resume at the various internet job sites ? I graduate in December (I hope).

------------------

17. Lynus302

Thats something I at least ought to look into. Please send me your friends email address, or send him mine:

Lynus302@yahoo.com

Also, when you email me tell me why you think I'd like enlisted better. I tried to email you this, but your address is not listed.

------------------

18. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

It's a big adjustment but in a few weeks you get used to it and never look back. It makes me wish I could go back to college and sleep in. Now, those days are harder to come by.

When you get those paychecks, then it makes it much easier to deal with.

Surf

------------------
    If the Rockets lose, then we all lose.

19. Lynus302

I got my degree in Public Relations and Advertising and I haven't been able to get a job at all.

In addition to gr8-1's post, I'd like some info on how you folks with "real" jobs got your jobs.

------------------

20. gr8-1

Exactly. Some people make it look so easy.

Lynus what school did you go to ?

------------------