1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Question for posters with "real" jobs.....

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RocketMan Tex, Jul 18, 2001.

1. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Uh-oh.

GR8-1...I received an Advertising degree from the University of Texas at Austin 18 years ago.

I've never used it.

If you want to work in the Advertising field, be prepared to start at the very bottom and not make much $$$ while working your way to the top.

I never worked in Advertising or PR after I graduated college. I started working in Information Technology and never looked back. I'm making more $$$ now than I would have if I had stayed in Advertising (unless I would have started by own Ad Agency and signed up some HUMONGOUS accounts!).

------------------
    "Blues is a Healer"
    --John Lee Hooker

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Lynus302,

I tried to tell you in another thread about your aspirations for enlisting.

Have you considered Officer Candidate School? You are likely qualified.

3. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

gr8: I know who can write your resume and cover letters for you if you want it. [​IMG]

In fact, that goes for any of you guys. It won't cost a ton and it will be done really well. Not kidding.

------------------
    How the hell should I know why God would allow the Holocaust. I don't even know how the electric can opener works. - from Hannah and Her Sisters

4. Shandon Anversen

i do the 9 to 5 thing...have been for 4 1/2 years or so and i'm still not used to it.

tack on the fact that i go to night classes and have to have some semblance of a social life and MAN am i worn out!

the good thing is being able to pay your bills and move out of the parents' house! [​IMG]

------------------
    shandn has no "o".

5. WickBrunson

WickBrunson Member

Hi gr8-1. I graduated from UT in May 2000, and not surprisingly, shared your sleep schedule while I was there. It was a pretty abrupt transition for me to start waking up at a decent hour, but as Surfguy said, it’s something you get used to after a week or two. Also, having a job you like [or at least don’t hate] makes getting out of bed a lot easier.

Pretty much the only reason I have a full time job now is because of my internship experience while I was a student. During my senior year, I didn’t have any luck with the companies that came to campus to recruit. However, I was fortunate enough to have the company I was interning for at the time offer me a permanent position. I think it probably is in your best interest to get some type of work experience in your field [internship, co-op, part time or whatever] before looking for a full time gig.

Best of luck!

------------------

6. davo

davo Contributing Member

The best thing about working a 9 to 5 job (yeah right, I work 7 to 6) is that once you get home, there is no question of homework - the time is all your own. I found the adjustment easy.

My recommendation about for getting jobs - do Engineering.

------------------
    God help me, ...I was only nineteen.
    Current Rocket's Salary & Contract Info

7. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

gr8-1, I've got about 3 semesters left at THE UNIVERSITY. During the semester I stay up till like 3-4 AM studying or doing homework on weeknights. I usually register for afternoon classes to make up for a lack of sleep. During my co-op work terms I can easily adjust my sleep schedule so that I wake up around 7:45, and work like 9-6.

As for finding a job, I hear it's really competitive in the advertising business. You should start doing interviews and posting your resume immediately. Come August, many of your classmates will be looking for jobs. Your interview is VERY important and you have to show good personal skills and leadership skills.

------------------
    "Oh No..."
    -Bill Walton in 97 just before Stockton's buzzer beater

8. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Yep, my professor, Mr. Ward said those accounts are pipedreams. 1/10 of 1 % of us will be working with Coke, Ford, Pantene, etc.

So, were you always computer savvy ?

I think I'm gonna post my job online next week.

------------------
    "norm, would you like to buy an indian scalp ? This deal isn't gonna make or break me Norm, so don't jerk me around." Harry Carey "Norm, if I had a mohawk scalp, I wouldn't be sitting here talking to you."

9. gr8-1

Thanks, one of my profs. tells me I should be confident yet understated. He says I may be too cocky, lol.

Also, do you guys call after your resume has been submitted ? I hate to botehr people, but I hear persistence pays off.

------------------
    "norm, would you like to buy an indian scalp ? This deal isn't gonna make or break me Norm, so don't jerk me around." Harry Carey "Norm, if I had a mohawk scalp, I wouldn't be sitting here talking to you."

10. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I wasn't always computer savvy. I never touched one during college. After I graduated, I got a job with a small investment firm and began working with their computers. From there it just snowballed as each job I went to I learned more about computers. That, coupled with classes I took on my own, gave me the skills I needed to move up the ladder.

Definitely post your resume online. IMHO, it has become the best way to get a job, especially in Information Technology.

------------------
    "Blues is a Healer"
    --John Lee Hooker

11. sirhangover

sirhangover Member

the real world sucks enjoy sleeping in while you can...i just went home at lunch today to take a nap thats how bad its gotten..

i am still tired..maybe I should stay away from big ass beer night tonight?

------------------
    "no matter how good she looks someone... somewhere..is tired of her sh*t"

12. gr8-1

wrong topic.
    ------------------

[This message has been edited by gr8-1 (edited July 18, 2001).]

13. rockit

rockit Contributing Member

====================================
    Thanks, one of my profs. tells me I should be confident yet understated. He says I may be too cocky, lol.

Also, do you guys call after your resume has been submitted ? I hate to botehr people, but I hear persistence pays off.

=====================================

gr8-1 ... persistence DEFINITELY pays off. That is how I got my first internship some 3 years ago. I called the company for 3 months before they gave me an interview, and once I got the job, getting internships and Full Time job offers has been a joke. I'm onto my 4th internship since then, and once I graduate in December, I already have some offers lined up. Bottom line ... keep at it, someone will give you a break, and that is all you need.

Take Care

------------------

14. PhiSlammaJamma

Personally, when I hire, It bugs me when they call back. However, some people want you to call back so it can work in your favor as well. So it's an iffy thing. It's up to you.

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I have an internship now and work about 70-90 hours a week. Which means I'll probably be at work today another 9 or 10 hours. And I've been in every weekend since starting. The thing is, I am enjoying it and everyone here is great, but those hours are nuts, especially for a young person. However, you get PAID seriously and the firm expenses everything. I should get an offer, I think, when done, but I don't know what to do. The financial rewards are VERY HIGH but I will have no time to go to Rockets or Astros games or relax or party, etc.

------------------
    American business long ago gave up on demanding that prospective employees be honest and hardworking. It has even stopped hoping for employees who are educated enough that they can tell the difference between the men's room and the women's room without having little pictures on the doors.

16. haven

haven Member

Jeff: I wrote my resume yesterday, so you're a day late... but does this person *check* resumes as well?

I need to apply for a fall internship, but my options are closing quickly because I've procrasticinated so much...

------------------
    Clutchcity.net... source for all your Rockets, Astros, political, music, humor, and Gordita news.

17. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I was led to my first job out of college from my initial interview through my college's recruiting program where respective employers send someone from their HR out to the campus to do preliminary interviews. I was called back, I rented a car and drove out for more interviews, and got the job on the spot(or as I was walking out the door). So, really it was my first interview and I landed a job. I didn't even really have great things on my resume or a very high GPA. I have a MIS or CIS degree.

Of course, the economy was doing alot better back in 1995 when I graduated. The economy just plain sucks now. Most companies have a hiring freeze going on and are even laying off. I would not like to be without a job in these dreary economic times. It is probably much more difficult being a new graduate with no real experience to speak of....even if you have an excellent resume.

I wish it were as easy for those who have not landed their first jobs yet. I hope it all works out for you. I had several friends graduate in other areas(finance, marketing) the same time as myself who never did land a job out of college. I would like to say that nice things happened to them but, unfortunately, they did not. One of them took time off after college which I think is a mistake. Who wants you a year out of college? I think most employers want you right out of college. If your college has a recruitment program and employers are interviewing, I highly recommend you take that as your first option. Of course, that isn't always an option at some colleges.

Surf

------------------
    If the Rockets lose, then we all lose.

18. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

gr8-1:
    I went to Hardin-Simmons University in Abilene, TX.

Crispee:
    I responded to you in that thread, but in perfect 302 form, I killed the thread! Anyway:

Here is what I get for going in enlisted:
    -- Guaranteed MOS (Military Occupational Specialty); i.e. my actual job in the Army. I'll definitely get something computer-related.
    -- Guaranteed station of choice.
    -- All my loans paid off in 3 years. This is huge for me. Going to a private university really left me in debt.
    -- An $8,000 bonus just for enlisting and having a college degree.
    -- Sign-on bonus of up to $20,000. This depends on my MOS mentioned above. The MOS I want is Psychological Operations, which comes with the full $20,000.

Here is what I get by going through OCS (Officer Candidate School):
    -- The prestige of being an officer.
    -- NONE of the above-mentioned perks.

The reason the Army is offering so much to enlisted people is that it has been upping its reputation of its enlisted men. The way I look at it is it's only 4 years of my life. If I hate it, I'll get out with excellent experience in a field I'm interested in.

I went to a military school and I loved it. It was truly the best thing that ever happened to me at that time. I really excelled there, and I came away with one thing that is so important to me right now: I know I will like the military. Should I decide to stay in for the rest of my career, I would definitely go through OCS after my initial 4 years as an enlisted man.

However, if you have any advice, I'd still love to hear it. You can email me at Lynus302@yahoo.com.

------------------
    "I have no regrets except that I wasn't up to keep Randy from getting on that plane."
    --Ozzy Osbourne on guitarist Randy Rhodes

19. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

I'd like to relate something personal:

I was not ready for college at all. I simply did not have the maturity level that I thought I had. I was must more interested in drinking beer and chasing p***y around than in going to class. Sorry for being blunt, but that was my mind-set. I spent way too much time partying, and the result was me screwing away 2+ years of college. When I finally realized that the proverbial clock was ticking, I looked at what I was closest to getting a degree in (again, my mind-set at that time: I had no clue what I wanted to do with my life). The result was me taking 6 years to get my degree, which is in a field that I'm not really all that interested in.

I wish to all hell that i had gone into the Army after high school. I could have gotten all the idiocy out of my system and maybe figured out some things about my life as well. I would have signed up for the GI Bill and earned money for college that way. I also could have started taking college classes in the Army and transferred the credits to a university, thus lowering my total college time to 2-3 years.

I made some mistakes, some really bad ones, IMO. Now here I am, 25 years old with no experience or any real interest in my field.

I had given myself until the 4th of July (happy birthday USA) to find something positive job-wise, or I would go into the Army. Allison had something to say about that, so I've been forced to push back my decision date so that I can help my family (we had 2 houses flood badly), but I'm about 95% certain the Army is the way I'm going to go.

------------------
    "I have no regrets except that I wasn't up to keep Randy from getting on that plane."
    --Ozzy Osbourne on guitarist Randy Rhodes

20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Lynus,

That definitely sounds great, much more than I got or could ever imagine. When I got out they were trying everything to keep me it. Pretty much all those perks. The "pick-your-job" thing is nice. Besides, if you do like the Army, you can always go to OCS at re-up, or even earlier.

Note, that you aren't really going to be able to pick your station if you are in a narrow field, because not all stations will have your assignment.

I do believe you will enjoy it. Allow me to be a devil's advocate for one second. First, you will get E-5 pay immediately in OSC, and make up that bonus difference of $8k rather quickly. Plus, if you don't like the Army and leave after four, saying you will have training in your specialty is somewhat optimistic. Your resume will absolutely be 100% more useful with Officer on it rather than Enlisted, specialty or not.

bet to that.

Seriously, I was enlisted and loved it. I don't mean to say "you should", except when it involves saying you owe it to yourself. Talk to an Officer Recruiter, if you haven't already; you owe it to yourself to get better information that I or that OCS website can give you. There could definitely be more benefits than you listed.

The Colonel I talked to said that you definitely get a choice of fields, but it is not locked in like Enlisted. However, he did get his first choice.

good luck

[This message has been edited by crispee (edited July 18, 2001).]