1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Question for non-Houstonian Rockets fans

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Vengeance, Jun 1, 2001.

1. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

This goes out to those who are not Houstonians. Especially to those who are overseas in Australia or Kuwait or Spain. And I know we've asked the question before, but this is a bit different. . . .

Why are you Rockets fans? Why did you become Rockets fans as opposed to bandwagoning Bulls then Laker fans or Knicks fans or whatever? If you haven't lived in Houston, why did you pick the Rockets of all teams?

I've been wondering this for some time, with all the foreign posters.

------------------
    blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

2. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Hey, I live in Pflugerville(just north of Austin) so I count as a non-Houstonian.

My grandparents lived in La Marque, and I used to go down there each summer and spend a couple weeks down there, go to the beach or an Astros game or two. So I became a fan of all the Houston teams.

------------------
    This space currently being renovated. We apologize for the inconvenience.

3. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

Dream brought me to the Rockets, Chuck made them my favorite.

------------------
    Ceo of the Walt Williams and Lisa Malosky fan club.

atheistalliance.org

4. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

what is a rocket?

------------------
    "The things I enjoy most, I suck at:
    1) Sex: everything's fine until she makes noises." - Achebe

Smegs Mock Draft

5. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Dallasite here.

But I was raised in Houston since I was 4....so that's where my loyalty stems from.

------------------
    My doctor says I am bipolar. I am going to get a second opinion. I have never had intimate desires for polar bears.

6. PhiSlammaJamma

I became a fan when the blue team beat the black team. Go Oilers. Then Phi Slamma Jamma Came along and I rooted for them too just because they were houston. Then the rest just came naturally. But it was like destiny for me. It all happened in less than a few months and suddenly I was rooting for all the teams. It didn't hurt that the Stros, Oilers, Rockets, and Cougars were all good back then.

I'm in DC now, but then, Florida.

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I came to Houston to study there for a year in 1995 and went to a few Rocket games. Just by following the Rockets regularly in the Chronicle and on the Net and by learning about Dream, Clyde and their affiliation with UH and the city of Houston, I became a Rockets fan and have been following them on the Internet and on TV ever since. I think it would not have been possible to keep up the enthusiasm for a team 10 years ago when the Internet did not exist. I have to say that my regular visits to CLUTCHCITY.NET really keep my love for the Rockets alive.

8. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

I grew up in Houston and went to quite a few Rocket games. When I was 6, I used to go to the old Delmar Fieldhouse and watch Elvin Hayes shoot those turnaround jumpers from the top of the key!

I've been out of Houston since 1974, though.

------------------
    Time is a great teacher-- only problem is it kills all its pupils.

9. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

I lived in Houston for 3 years, and never watched a game. Once I was in Seattle, I just happened to catch a 94 finals game, and I really enjoyed it. Having lived in Houston longer than in New York (six months), I cheered for the Rockets. I casually watched the playoffs until 96, and became a Hakeem-fan. I really got into them in the 97 playoffs against Seattle, when I had a rivalry with a friend.
    The build up to game seven was incredible- all the TV and Radio Stations predicted a Sonics win, and the Rockets shut them up. The disappointing loss to Utah solidified me as a fan, because there was no way I was going to give up after such a heart breaker. I didn't start watching the regular season until the lockout. It was only playoffs for me!

By the way, this applies to me because I didn't become a fan until after I left Houston. Funny, isn't it.

------------------
    The Protrolls.com message boards!

Protrolls.com!

And his ghost can be heard as you pass by that billabong: "All I did was steal a bloody sheep!"

10. getsmartnow

getsmartnow Contributing Member

I've lived in Australia all my life, and when the NBA used to be on free-to-air TV and they showed games on Saturday afternoon (remember that??!!), I saw a Rockets - Sonics game. It was about 1989 or 1990, and the Rockets won, so I decided they were my favorite team. I used to say 'My favorite player is Hakeem Olujuwan' when everyone else was saying Jordan. That really pissed me off. The only time they probably saw Jordan was on the NIKE comercials.

That's my story.

------------------
    http://titansmania.50megs.com

Aussie! Aussie! Aussie!
    Oi! Oi! Oi!
    Aussie! Aussie! Aussie!
    Oi! Oi! Oi
    Aussie!
    Oi!
    Aussie!
    Oi!
    Aussie! Aussie! Aussie!
    Oi! Oi! Oi!

11. Steve_Francis_rules

I live in Arizona, and the reason I became a Rockets fan can be stated in one word: Dream.
    Although he was the first player on the team I liked, I quickly began to like every player on the team, and I was a big fan by the time the first championship came.

------------------

12. Heath

Heath Member

Ditto. And I love the organization. It's one class act team.

On the bandwagoning part. I never liked Jordan, and who can root for a team that has Ewing? Lakers? Who are the Lakers?

------------------
    The CC.net NBA Sim Board/Homepage

13. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

14. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

I rode in on the Chuckwagon and liked it so much I decided to stay around...

------------------
    Who's ya daddy?

15. Azim da Dream

Azim da Dream Member

In a word ... Hakeem.
    Then, watching the '94 and '95 teams display their heart of a champion simply inspired me and strenghened my passion for the team.

Azim da Dream

------------------
    Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either. Just leave me the hell alone.

http://www.clutchtown.com