1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Question about travelling

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by davidxhz, Dec 18, 2009.

Tags:
  1. davidxhz

davidxhz Member

Last game against Denver We have 4 Travellings, one by Chuck, one by Brooks, Two by Anderson, Since I didn't see the Live broadcast and saw the discussion here, so I went home and paid special attention to the Tos we have

Question: If a player catches ball, establishes one foot as the pivot foot, moves the pivot foot and AT THE SAME TIME , the ball leaves his hand but still has not reached the floor, is it a travelling?(Three of the four travellings are just like that.)

if a player catches ball in the air, fall to the ground, right foot first, left foot second, then he lifts up his left foot and AT THE SAME TIME the ball the ball leaves his hand but still has not reached the floor, is it a travelling?(AB's travelling call is like that)

2. J.Will.Xu

J.Will.Xu Member

Not sure other than AB's traveling call, these 3 calls were real travelling violations, but the rule says you should put the ball down on the floor before you move the feet, so I guess they just lead by examples? :rolleyes:

That game was poorly officiated by those new refs, I reviewed the game again last night and load of fouls and travels had escaped the ref's eyes.

3. Convictedstupid

Im pretty sure most of the pre-dribble travels called in the league this year could have gone either way. But to answer your question, Im not sure there is an actual rule saying whether you can move your pivot foot when the ball leaves your hand or you have to wait till it hits the ground to move it. I think its just whatever the refs want to call. I dont believe they are really consistent in their traveling calls either. Like I said, I think it's just sort of how they are feeling after running down to that end of the court.

I wish they would step up their game in calling the 3 steps after the dribble and not the picking up of the pivot foot before the dribble. I guess the latter is easier to see though.

4. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

depends on the refs

5. FR0497

FR0497 Member

Ball has to hit the floor before you move your pivot foot.

Refs are extremely inconsistent with this call.

6. rockets_fanatic

The ball must hit the ground before you can lift your pivot foot off of the ground. As soon as it leaves the ground is is supposed to be a travel.

7. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

Wouldn't big men get called for tons of travelling violations then? When big men are spinning around in the post or doing drop steps they often lift their pivot foot before they dribble...

8. Rocket Guy

Rocket Guy Member

It depends if red is in the teams colors

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Traveling calls are like loitering laws -- an excuse for officials to hassle whomever they'd like. What would Tim Donaghy tell you about a game with 4 traveling violations called on one team?

10. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Answer to question 1:

Yes, that is considered travelling. The ball must be bounced once before you initiate any movement with the pivot foot. However, officials are usually extremely leniant on this call, wasn't that way in Denver however...

Answer to question 2:

Once again the ball must bounce once before you initiate any movement with your pivot foot.

11. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Member

The ball doesn't have to hit the ground before you lift your pivot foot. It just has to leave your hand (be it for a shot or dribble). When the ball hits the ground has nothing to do with traveling.

12. albuster

albuster Member

That's the NBA for you. Rules don't apply to certain players and the refs are often allowed to make their own rules. Travelling and palming are especially loosely officiated but more so when the so called "superstars" are committing them. Stern is still the law and the rule, what he says goes.

13. albuster

albuster Member

Stern's law? Money Talks!

14. MIAGI99

MIAGI99 Member

The first one is going to get called int he NBA every single time. I've seen many players do it even Lebron got called for it when we played them. The second, I do not see how that is traveling in any situation because the pivot foot was never established.

15. Vanilla Rice

Vanilla Rice Member

I LOL'd at that one.

16. alex09xu

alex09xu Member

If you look at post players in the NBA, almost every move they make starts with a travel. Look at Chris Bosh and Dwight Howard, every single time they make a jab step post move, they move their pivot foot before the ball hits the ground, which is technically a travel. However, they wouldn't be able to make those "sick" looking moves if a travel was called everytime. The refs are not going to call it because, after all, NBA is just entertainment.

17. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Member

This is incorrect. Like I said earlier in the tread:

The referees aren't just missing that call every single time...

18. Htown57

Htown57 Member

This. The rule is technically that the ball must bounce, but it's a split second call and difficult to make. The league tend to go back and forth on calling this. Patrick Ewing probably travelled every play under this rule. Lebron travels a LOT this way. Dream likely did a fair amount too (that baseline spin move that Yao does now too, for example, is a maybe-travel).

After charge/block, i would say that this is the most inconsistent/arbitrary call refs make.

19. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

Remember Maggete travelling six times on one pivot? Well reff didn't whistle anything.

It depends from ref to ref, LeBron James for example will not be whistled unless he makes some football steps to basket.

20. J.Will.Xu

J.Will.Xu Member

LOL'd @ this, his crab steps made me sick every time I watched him driving to the basket with that kind of move. :mad: