1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Q&A (from 3 years ago) with new Rockets scout Cole Zwicker.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Jul 8, 2021.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Thanks to @Nook for alerting me to this article. It is a good read!

2. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Sweet! His Dad, Serge, is a Rockets legend.

Rudyc281, D-rock and napalm06 like this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

It's not in the article, but he also had Luka clearly #1 in that draft with Trey Young, Bridges, JJJ and Porter as guys he liked. The only player I remember him liking that have disappointed is Wendell Carter. He was not as high on Mo Bamba, DeAndre Ayton and Bagley as others were.

Overall a review of his evaluations are well above other commercial evaluators.... he clearly isn't perfect, but he does appear to be realistic and able to avoid excessive hyperbole.

roslolian, Rudyc281, yixiixiy and 9 others like this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

Also, I am sure someone is going to complain about the Rockets hiring a scout that ran a website..... What I can say is that the Suns, Grizzlies and Rockets under Daryl Morey have hired him in the past for draft related assignments. My point being that the selection of Zwicker isn't as far out of left field as some likely think.

5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Who is the head scout right now? More importantly, does Stone have a good relationship with him?

Rudyc281 and D-rock like this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

They don't have a head scout as far as I know. The scout they relied heavily on died last year.

Chris Wallace is in charge of scouting, so he would arguably be the head scout.

Anthony Nila arguably is the most influential person in the scouting department but he mostly specializes in international players.

Supposedly Stone will gather all the scouts, analytic guys and others in the organization.... debate with everyone and make the decision.

I haven't heard of Stone having any issues with any of the people still in the front office... most of those guys left.

The Rockets have beefed up their draft staff, but are still low on guys with traditional scouting experience. There are former players, but not any former coaches like I had hoped..... the Rockets are still weak on player development staffing, but they likely will have some guys like Hayes work on player development as well.

Shark44, saleem, Rudyc281 and 5 others like this.
  7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Ed Pinkney and Chuck Hayes are former players that are Rockets scouts right now.

And the Rockets hired 4 guys from The Stepien including Zwicker.

Shark44, saleem, Rudyc281 and 4 others like this.
  8. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

______ is the most modern big in the class, armed with 3-point shooting off the catch/pick-and-pops, the feet to guard in space with the length to contest and high-level team defense awareness reacting quickly as a rim protector. He also throws in an underrated handle to attack closeouts and has enough pop to finish in space. The only valuable trait _____ lacks is quick decision-making, and he’s at least wired to be unselfish.

This scouting report sounds remarkably similar to a player being currently considered for #2. This comparison was also made on the Nate Duncan podcast.

This player is Jaren Jackson.

saleem likes this.
  9. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I think it's the most obvious comparison. They're both tall with outrageous wingspans. Both are incredibly fluid athletes and good defensively on the perimeter for their size, but not super explosive or strong. They're good scorers and ballhandlers, but are not 100% aggressive down low or on the boards. A JJJ type player would be a fine pick, although I know we need a franchise player.

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Cole Zwicker quoted in that article: "Dynamic offensive perimeter players drive the league"

xaos, Rudyc281, Nook and 2 others like this.
  11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Except for 1 key distinction.

Mobley has quick decision making.

And also has better vision/handles.

Rudyc281 and Nook like this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

Right, and I believe the Rockets still have Marko Radavanovic involved... and now Bullard as well.

The Rockets are well represented by former players, I personally would like to see a stronger influence from former coaches... there are some things that coaches can see that players and self made scouts cannot. The problem is that most of the good former coaches want a high title, and that isn't something that Stone would likely want.....

Steve Clifford, Terry Stotts, Nate Bjorkgren all would be nice voices in the front office.

Jaren Jackson was on his way to being an elite player before he was hurt. At this point it is hard to know how good JJJ will ultimately be. He is a very good defender, is actually longer than Mobley. He however lacks the natural instincts that Mobley has.

They absolutely do drive the league. The issue is determining whether a young perimeter player is good enough for that role. A team is sacrificing a lot when they give a perimeter player control of the offense, so they better be efficient at scoring, able to score at a high volume, do so consistently and also create well for other players. The only thing worse than not having an elite dynamic perimeter player is having one that is very good but not good enough to win. When it comes to Green, the Rockets need to decide if he marks all the boxes needed to be an elite perimeter player..... if he does, then you take him, if he doesn't, then you likely pass on him.

13. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

Mobley is also significantly lankier.

Who knows, Giannis was skinny when drafted. But he also got the frame to be bigger.

Not sure Mobley can be substantially stronger than he is now.

Skillset wise Mobley is so well-rounded though.

D-rock and Rudyc281 like this.
  14. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

His dad was Antawn Jamison's teammate at NC?

15. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Nice.

Deuce likes this.
  16. roslolian

roslolian Member

Based on what he said this scout had Doncic no 1, followed by JJJ and MPJ/Trae Young. He believed a lot in impact of modern big, ability to defend perimeter is the main thing followed by 3 (he mentioned Wendell Carter Jr having better 3 pt shot but still had him below JJJ and Porter/Young)

If we convert to today's situation then it would be Cade, Mobley and then Green.

D-rock likes this.
  17. D-rock

D-rock Member

Fascinating article.

Almost seems Zwikker would provide highest grades for Suggs, Cade and Mobley.

Would be interested to see his analysis for this draft.

-------------------------

Overall, I think the league is moving away from sheer athleticism and more into high-level skill and basketball intelligence. With more space than ever it requires more quick and correct decision-making, necessitating quick processing, and with more space less athletic players can win more now with their craft. But for bigs, even in the modern game, it’s starts with defensive versatility/IQ, and to better enable teams to play optimal 5-out ball offensively, shooting is paramount (as are perimeter skills).

Rudyc281 likes this.
  18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Bumping this quote again from Zwicker.

Rudyc281 and RudyTBag like this.
  19. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

20. xaos

xaos Member

Yup, this is where I feel the biggest divide happens on Green vs Mobley... roster reconstruction from the ground up. Most people agree they're both great prospects

Deuce likes this.