1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Push the Panic Button?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by BleedsRocketRed, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Of the last 10 champions, either 1) teams had a decent-good run the previous season, lost, then won the following year or 2) had already recently won, then won again.
    Possibly
    Possibly true about the rotation, but keep in mind our non-success against Bauer.

Lineup-wise... basically ALL the Astros hitters have playoff demons to exorcise.

2. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

The Cardinals threw out horrible pitchers. Game 1 starter was Anthony Reyes. Game 2 was Jeff Weaver. Game 3 was Chris Carpenter coming off an injury. I clearly remember the Cardinals being huge underdogs and the Tigers choking in that series with several miscues.

The point is that the Tigers were still heavily favored regardless of their lack of experience. So were the Mariners with the best overall record. Again, we can all sit around and say, "Oh, I know the Indians are going to beat us down," - but none of us really know. I mean, we just don't. So, knowing that, and having plenty of historical precedents to support me, I will err on the side of positivity and say that- as you did- we have enough talent to win this year and anyone has a shot of taking it all.

My prediction is Washington vs. Houston in the World Series, with Washington as a favorite but Houston winning it (and that is definitely the homer in me b/c I think, but don't hope, that the Nationals are going to win it all).

3. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Let's keep everything in proper perspective. Nobody (or at least me) is saying the bolded.

4. Buck Turgidson

The Indians have trailed at the end of 4 innings during the streak.

In 14 of the 19 games, they've given up 2 runs or less.

They have hit more HRs than runs allowed.

13 of the 19 games have been decided by 4 runs or more.

RocketFan007 and Nook like this.
  5. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Simply not sustainable. Here's hoping they peter out as the month goes along.

6. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Not so many in a row, but we had a period where we shined like this also. A period lasting considerably longer than 19 games. Things changed. They will change for the Indians as well.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

But we're not even talking about winning the World Series... we're talking about if experience matters in an ALDS or ALCS matchup.

Many of those teams that eventually won that had a decent-good run the previous season, did so in their first/no-experience playoffs. Inexperienced teams have fared well throughout the last 10 years (KC, Cubs, Mets, Colorado, Texas).

I would certainly agree that its better to have been there before... but in this case (where most of the key/core Astros players having been around in 2015), I would say its not going to be the difference-maker as to who ends up winning between Cleveland/Houston.

8. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Agreed.

It will be decided by who is playing best.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The team with more runs at the end of the game should be projected to win... in most cases...

10. jim1961

jim1961 Member

11. jim1961

jim1961 Member

As much as many may try, forecasting this 3 weeks in advance is impossible.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I predict the Astros will be playing in 3 weeks....

13. jim1961

jim1961 Member

But you dont know how well they will playing.

14. Buck Turgidson

Better than they did against Oakland.

15. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Whomever we are playing will be playing better than Oakland as well.

16. Houstunna

Supporting Member

I wouldn't say experience is THE difference-maker either between CLE-HOU. There were other factors previously stated.

Astros have the talent to beat anyone though.

17. Buck Turgidson

You'd think so, but who knows. All I know is that the Astros can't play worse than they did.

18. Houstunna

Supporting Member

It's not even that though. Hot teams can become cold and vice versa.

19. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Lets hope not.

20. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Slumps happen at the drop of a hat in baseball.

Cleveland is playing the best right now, and it's not close. For a large portion of the season they were just treading water. Before we started the Oakland series we were on a tear, we seemed to have all of our moxie back and looked unbeatable..and then we got smoked. We also looked like an unstoppable juggernaut at one point.

There's no telling how any of us are gonna be playing in a few days, much less a few weeks. The baseball postseason is often simply a game of roulette, and all you can do is position your team as well as possible.

Major and kaleidosky like this.