1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Purpura on 610

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by The Real Shady, Jun 17, 2005.

1. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I don't know if anybody heard it but Tim Purpura was on 610 this morning at 6:30am. If you put the clues together it sounds like the Astros are trying to acquire Adam Dunn. Here's what he said...

- The astros are looking to be buyers not sellers. When you are losing games by one or two runs one more batter can make a huge difference.

- likely looking to add a corner outfielder.

- looking to add someone who will stay with us more that one year, like someone who is arbitration eligable.

- more teams are looking for pitching than hitting in return for a trade.

So Adam Dunn is a local boy, who is arbitration eligable, and a corner outfielder. I can't really think of another player who fits all of these categories.

2. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

ESPN article on the Reds moving players...........

Adam Dunn
    Dunn's biggest appeal lies in his awesome power. While the home run totals have declined for several prominent sluggers – ostensibly because of more stringent drug testing – he remains one of baseball's premier ozone busters.
    Dunn's drawbacks: He is an average defender at best, he's a lock to whiff 180 times a season, and he is about to get very costly. If Dunn hits 45-50 homers this year, he might receive $9 million in salary arbitration. Do the Reds want to have almost $40 million invested in Griffey, Dunn, Casey and Milton in 2005?

Dunn, a laid-back player, has taken a few playful jabs at management of late. After Miley recently removed Dunn and Griffey's lounging massage chairs from the clubhouse, Dunn told Hal McCoy of the Dayton Daily News that his chair wanted to be traded.
    But Dunn was in less of a joking mood when the Reds shipped his buddy Kearns to the minors. "With some things that go on around here, you just think, 'Whatever,' " Dunn told Insider. "We're still trying to figure out why they do certain things."
    While Dunn would look great playing first base for the Mets or Red Sox, Boston GM Theo Epstein seems more inclined to go for pitching than offense in preparation for the stretch run. There's speculation that Dunn would love to go home to Houston and play for the Astros, but he is still two years away from free agency.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=crasnick_jerry&id=2085626&num=2

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I wouldn't mind Dunn in an Astros uniform. I would like for him not to be so blase about the strikeouts and actually try to put the ball in play more. If he cut it down to 120 K's per year, his average and OBP would go way up and make him a dominant player.

4. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Carl Crawford also fits the description (and on a money losing/manager fleeing team).

5. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

I wonder if Preston Wilson is a possibility. He said he would gladly play a corner OF spot recently.

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

sure you want him?? he's always injured. he's DHing in AL parks now in interleague play. his knees suck.

7. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

If he only had to patrol LF, I'd take him...especially with the short porch in left when he bats. Not saying he would be my first choice, but I wouldnt mind if we landed him...and you know Colorado is always looking for pitching. I think he makes a ton of money though so who knows if he is even on the radar.

8. MadMax

true...i'd be open to that.

9. Major

Major Member

If he only had to patrol LF, I'd take him...especially with the short porch in left when he bats. Not saying he would be my first choice, but I wouldnt mind if we landed him...and you know Colorado is always looking for pitching. I think he makes a ton of money though so who knows if he is even on the radar.

Numbers at home: .310 AVG, .973 OPS
    Numbers on road: .221 AVG, .669 OPS

His numbers the previous 2 years are similar, although not as dramatic... To me, he seems like a product of Coors Field. Not a particularly bad player over his career, but not the type that's going to make any noticable difference on this team, I don't think.

10. Buck Turgidson

Nope, signed a 4+ year extension earlier this season.

In addition to the age/injury concerns, I'll add that Preston Wilson has hit .227/.260/.240/.221 away from Coors from '02-05.

11. Buck Turgidson

Good to see ya around, major.

Figured you'd be in Omaha by now.

12. MadMax

ugh...on second thought, i'll pass.

13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Exactly. (Or did I miss a point here?)

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

He'll be with us watching the festivities Saturday night.

15. gwayneco

gwayneco Contributing Member

But Dunn is just another Dave Kingman, but with the added negative of all those pesky walks that drive up his on base percentage. Who would want any of that?

16. Major

Major Member

Good to see ya around, major.

Figured you'd be in Omaha by now.

I think I'm supposed to be playing golf with you tomorrow.

MadMax - are you joining us for UT-Baylor baseball tomorrow evening?

17. Buck Turgidson

Not really, saw arb-eligible in bold & I guess it stuck in me brain.

There's been no indication anywhere that they're shopping Crawford. Maybe in a couple of years when the larger salaries kick in, but why do it now, unless you overcharge (which is the only way Omar Minaya got V.Zambrano - he gave up the #1 LHP prospect in all of baseball to get an above average #2/3 starter). Chuck LaMarr is a noted hardcase when dealing. Plus, Crawford's about the exciting thing they've got. That franchise (and Colorado) should have never been created.

Johnny Gomes or Joey Gathright would be more realistic, I'd think.

18. Buck Turgidson

"about the only exciting thing..."

Wish I could play, Major, gotta take the gf to the airport.

It would be totally sweet if you could make it out, Max.

19. FranchiseBoi86

Just a quick question: What qualifies a player to be arbitration eligible? Thanks

20. Buck Turgidson

Three or four weeks from now, the Reds could very well be in unloading mode.

Veterans with reasonably priced, short-term contracts could be on the move, as could one of their more lucrative chips - an outfielder or first baseman Sean Casey.

For now, though, the front office will stand pat. General manager Dan O'Brien said Thursday that the team is not looking to trade anyone.

"No, we're not," he said. "Ask me that question a month from now (and the answer might be different), but no, not right now."

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050617/SPT05/506170316/1035/SPT