1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Puppy Help!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by VesceySux, Apr 9, 2007.

1. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

My wife and I (who have zero pets and zero experience taking care of dogs) are taking care of a 7-week old Aussie Shepherd mix puppy until this Thursday (as a favor to a person running an animal shelter, if you must know). We're actually doing pretty well, I think. The puppy is overall great (and adorable), and we're developing a sort of schedule and all. However, we totally need some help in the sleep department, as both of us are just zombies at this point (going on day 3).

Here's the situation: At night, the dog wakes us up every two hours (sometimes even less) with whining to either 1) tell us he's done his business on the newspaper (I don't get it, either) or 2) demand play time or comfort. Unfortunately, we're catering to his whims, as we want him to shut up. We're afraid that if we let him whine to his heart's content, he'll wake our neighbors in our complex. (He can go on whining for a while.) Now, in his crate (which he likes, BTW), we've got a clock, a stuffed animal, a blanket, and a towel. Heck, we even put a bottle with hot water next to him from time to time to simulate warmth. So that's covered. And he can roam in our little kitchen and do his business whenever he wants, so he's got that.

Now, I don't mind being waken up once or twice a night to see to the dog. It's a puppy, and I totally expect that. However, getting up 4-5 times a night is starting to wear heavily on our sanity. He doesn't have trouble getting to sleep... just staying asleep. So, is there anything I can do to get him to sleep for longer periods? It's gotten so bad, I'm thinking about sleeping on the couch with him tonight.

Any help would be most appreciated.

2. VesceySux

Could you say no to this face?

[​IMG]

3. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

He's a cutie!

1st off the main problem is that he's only seven weeks old and has been taken away from it's mom. That's really young. 12 weeks is usually the time it's cool to seperate pups from parents.

That said really the only thing you can do is give him a lot of play time during the day. LOTS OF PLAY TIME!

About an hour before you guys shut down for the night try and create a calm invironment. No play time and let him see it's "quiet time."

Be carefull about sleeping with him. That's a major bond with a dog. You might just end up keeping him after that. :)

But since you're only keeping him until Thursday I'd say just suck it up!

4. Xenochimera

Xenochimera Contributing Member

play a LOT with the dog, have him chase frisbees or tennisballs. it will wear him down and he will stay a sleep no problem.

5. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

Wait till you have a kid! :D :eek: :rolleyes:

6. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

That's only if VesceySux and Mrs. Sux don't stay asleep BEFORE. :p

7. Fatty FatBastard

Crate him. Best way to train a puppy. They don't like to sleep in their mess, so they tend to hold it in.

As far as the whining? Put the crate in a place where you can't hear him. The garage isn't unheard of.

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

this is only for a few more days???

on top of the other suggestions, you can give him half a benadryl to help them sleep. Well, actually, I've only given adult dogs benadryl. It is fairly safe (even a snake bite antidote for dogs), but ask a vet, or your friend running the animal shelter. It is common for them to recommend it for travel and such.

that said: i'd just suck it up (like mc mark said), let the dog sleep with me (since it's not your dog), or go back to the animal shelter and ask for a companion dog to care for at the same time.

9. FJY

FJY Member

A question unrelated to the thread for you guys:

Where can I can a small puppy like that cute? Do they have those type of small cute puppy in the shelter or you have to pay for those cute ones?

10. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Ok i need a little bit more info.

Does the dog sleep in the same room as you do? (i gues he doesn't since you think about sleeping in the couch with him).

It depends why the dogs wake up and why he starts to make the sound.Also what is is normal situation, does he normaly sleep in the crate? and on the same room as its owners?

It might be a good idee, to keep the dog next to your bed(since its whinning can be caused by him feeling alone, especially if it is used to sleep close to other dogs or people, these puppies can feel abandoned).

What a lot of people do that just got a puppy, is sleeping in the same room with the dog for aout a week, just to let it get used to the new situation. And when you keep the dog at some point let it sleep alone(we slept in the living room with our dog, for about 1 week). Also setting a alarm for yourself in the middle of the night is also a good idea. Since then you can let the dog outside so that it doesn't do its business in home.

So my overall advice, is let the dog sleep in the same room as you, or sleep with the dog in his room.(but if you are already doing this, then it is something else and i will think about it again), it sound like it feels abandoned.(also never go to the dog when it is whinning, it stimulates the dog to wqhine untill somebody comes to him, because it is rewarded for whinning)

11. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

most of the advice here is pretty good, except the garage one.

the one about tiring him out is probably the best one. having him sleep in the same room is also good, but you need to ignore his whines for the first few nights.

I'm also very very surprised that hes ben separated after opnly 6 or 7 weeks. That can actually be traumatizing from what I've heard.

12. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

All puppies are cute lol

Shelter dogs can be cute too, drop by your local shelter and take a look.

13. VesceySux

No. He's sleeping in his crate in the kitchen, which is next to our bedroom. Lately, he's been very good about going into his crate and dozing off without needing the emotional support. I tried sleeping with him last night, but after 30 minutes, he wouldn't have it (squirming around). I then put him back in the kitchen, where he promptly went to his crate and slept. My sister suggested I put music on for him (at a low level) so he doesn't feel alone. I set up my iPod with some speakers and played some music for him, but he's not whining less.

I don't think putting him in the same room will help, honestly, as he seems to want to be WITH us, not merely near us. And the problem with tiring him out is that I CANNOT take him outside since he doesn't have all his immunizations. (He'll be done in 2 weeks time.) I would love to take him for a walk and tire him out, but alas, I don't want to risk disease. So, I have to use toys and the like to get him tired instead.

I'm pretty much going to suck it up at this point and forgo sleep. I might take HeyPee's Benadryl suggestion, but only after I talk to someone with expertise first (like a vet). I don't want to put him in any danger with strange medicine.

Part of why we agreed to do this. :) Taking care of this pup has been a major learning experience for us.

14. VesceySux

One more pic for ya:

[​IMG]

15. arno_ed

I'm not sure if sleeping near him wouldn't help. you could try. But you should let him sleep in his own crate. But he should be able to see you. So he should sleep in his crate, but you should be sleeping at a place were he can see you. I really think that might help. So maybe putting a matras next to his crate and sleep there.

a few more questions:
    Can he leave the crate?
    Is your door open?

you can also try to throw toys away from him in your house, and make him tired like that. Let him sort of fetch it(altough he probably doesn't really fetch it, just running after the toy). There are ways to make a dog tired without going outside for a long time.

My girl and i have a 2,5 year old White sheppard. it has also been a great learning experience for us. We really want kids someday. Having this dog made us more aware of the energy a kid might cost.

p.s. the dog looks great.

16. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Dealing with a lab/terrier mix right now. She got used to her crate sleeping after just a few days. She has a TON of energy so she needs lots of exercise each day - LOTS! Potty training has been a bit of an issue (shes almost 6 months old). Ive been pretty religious about taking her out a million times a day and waiting out there until she pees or poops. I think shes getting used to it. She jumps and chews on EVERYTHING she can get her paws on to. Anyways... I think the moral of my ranting is to just hang in there and follow a very regimented system every day.

17. VesceySux

Why should I sleep on the floor with him? I'd rather just sleep with him on our couch.

He can leave the crate and roam the kitchen, but he can't leave the kitchen.

18. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Vescey,

You've been given some good advice - just hang in there. I remember back in 2003 when I brought Jake (my black and white cocker home). I had the same problems (he would sleep like for an hour or two and then wake up crying). Him not getting sleep (as well as me) about got to me - I really felt I wouldn't be strong enough to endure this. But I made it through.

Having him sleep in the same room is a big help and I even would get a pillow and sleep right next to his crate. When they are that little, I think it really spooks them to be alone, especially at night. One thing I might add, though, is how big is your crate? The crate I had for Jake was way too big for him and we eventually used a pet taxi and left the door open with newspapers down in the bathroom. This wound up working much better. The little guy may be scared because his crate is too big for him (just an idea).

Good luck - hopefully, you won't get attached but damn is it hard not to with a puppy! :)

19. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Establish Dominance!!!

but really, he is probably just scared. Just dont give him positive reinforcement when he whines, i.e. dont start petting him, being all nice or give him anything (toys/food, whatever).

But i'd let him sleep in the same room. he will probably feel better with others around. If he starts whinning and you cant ignore it, just grab him by his/her scruff. Firmly, but not too hard. Thats how parent dogs communicate to their puppies. hopefully that will send the message that what he is doing isnt right, without installing fear in him (which doesnt yield a good dog).

my girl just read caesar millans book so i've had to hear about how we should treat our dogs for the past week.

20. arno_ed

The pup gets restless when he has to sleep on the couch(atleast you said that after some time he wanted tog et of the couch). He feels save in the crate. so he should sleep in it. What you also can do is put the crate in your bedroom (or next to the couch). So that the pup can sleep in the crate, but he can still be close to you. I really think that will help.

Hang in there i know how bad it can get with a pupy that doesn't want to sleep.