1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[PS2 Game] Persona 4

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by IndoRockets, Jan 22, 2009.

1. IndoRockets

IndoRockets Member

This game is one of the best RPG out there produced by Atlus for the PS2. The gameplay,storyline, music, etc is also top notch.

I know this isn't a game forum, but I'm just curious how many clutchfans here enjoyed the game??

2. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Finished it a couple of weeks ago. My GOTY for 2008 (right ahead of Persona 3: FES). Don't know where to rank it all-time, but it is probably way up there for me.

Wait...this isn't a game forum...uh-oh. :eek:

3. IndoRockets

IndoRockets Member

oh good to see someone playing. Yeah I just finished the game last week. Did you get the true ending? kinda sad though after ending it, after 80+hours of enjoyment, looks like something went missing right away. lol

Well, I saw a Street Fighter thread..so why not a persona 4 thread? ;)

4. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

I really need to pick this up sometime (along with Persona 3 FES).

Problem is, I'm still in the throes of Valkyria Chronicles (GREAT game), ditto Gears of War 2, ditto Lost Odyssey. I've barely played MGS4, and I'm probably 10% done with GTA4. Not quite done with Fallout 3 either, and I've been meaning to play Mass Effect, Super Mario Galaxy, and RE4 for the Wii.

All that stuff is just sitting on my shelf. Why must there be so many great games? There just isn't time...

5. RC Cola

Yeah. I also checked out most of the endings (True, Normal, and one of the Bad ones). I was also sad to be done with it. Lots of hours went into it, and I enjoyed just about every minute of it. I was putting in some more hours to get some of the higher level Persona (Beelzebub, Lucifer, etc.), but it was taking me a long time to gather the money necessary for the fusions. If I get some spare time soon, I might revisit it to do that and maybe to a quick replay (might try fusing Izanagi-no-Okami too).

6. RC Cola

I think this is a few days/weeks old, but for those that missed it (including myself), 1UP did have a nice "Persona 4 Afterthoughts" feature:
    http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3172364
    Much more at the link. I don't think it had any major spoilers regarding the main plotlines, but they do refer to specific scenes of the game, which can end up spoiling some parts of the game.

7. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

People still play the PS2?

I gave up on mine the day I got an HD tv and realised how crappy the PS2 looks....hence the reason I now have a PS3.

(I know...not everyone can afford a new game system etc.)

Do they still makes games just for the PS2 that aren't ports? :confused:

8. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Well, game play/story has a lot to do with what games I play. For example, would you rather play devil may cry original or something like Lair?

9. RC Cola

wizkid83 pretty much nailed it. I've enjoyed P4 (and P3:Fes) more than any PS3 game I've played. It also doesn't hurt that for ~$35, I basically get the same stuff that goes into the $70-$80 PS3 collector editions of games.

Persona has benefited from an artstyle that doesn't make it look too bad compared to other PS2 games, although it is definitely showing its age. Atlus is more or less the only reason why I'm still playing some PS2 games, although I'm guessing that this might be the last year for that. After the release of Devil Summoner 2 in May, I'm guessing the next SMT game from Atlus will be on the 360/PS3...however long that may take.

10. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

I started 4 but figured I'd go back and beat FES first, so I'm slogging through that. Just about to hit October and I'll steam through to the end, then go through The Answer and move on to 4.

From what I saw of 4 it looked pretty nice though. Game play is pretty similar, but I like it when series don't change too much and mess with a winning formula.

11. RC Cola

Yeah, P4 is almost exactly like P3 when it comes to gameplay. But there are a lot of small tweaks that do end up making things a lot better IMO (user controlled party, social link bonuses used in battles, etc.). Kind of the idea that you'll have no problems getting into the game, but after playing it, you probably won't want to go back to P3.

Now that I think about it...Atlus has used roughly the same battle system for like 5 games if I'm not mistaken. And the fusion system for at least 3...maybe 4 since I don't know much about what Devil Summoner did. They definitely don't have a problem sticking with the same formula.

12. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

Yeah, that's pretty much what I heard, which is why I decided to go back and finish 3 first. I played enough to see the social link bonuses, which I agree are a great addition to the game. I like having something tangible for my efforts in spending time with the different people.

On a totally unrelated note, do you know of anyone needing a tester or anything RC? I love gaming but I can't program worth anything (it's obviously not genetic, since my dad could work a computer), so I've wondered what I could do I figured I'd ask our resident gaming experts, you and/or DaDa (I think it was, isn't he in the industry?).

13. RC Cola

Sorry, but I don't really know anything about that. I don't really have any direct ties to the gaming industry or anything like that. I sometimes see a few listings from EA when I'm looking for other non-gaming related CS/programmer positions (going to graduate soon), although I haven't seen anything recently. I can try to keep an eye out for things, although I'm probably not in any better position than you are.

DaDakota would definitely be a better person to ask given his past experience. IIRC, he was working on trying to start up a new video game company, although I don't know the latest on that.

14. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

Darn. Oh well. My dream of living like "Grandma's Boy" will for now remain but a dream.

15. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

I have it, great game. Definitely up there in my top RPGs.

16. dback816

dback816 Member

Great game

Wonder if they'll ever make the switch to PS3

17. RC Cola

Atlus announced SMT for the PS3 years ago, and they were hiring PS3/360 developers a while back (maybe 6-9 months ago?). And in a recent interview by Famitsu 360, they confirmed that they were working on the 360. Like I said earlier, I'm guessing that the next SMT game after Devil Summoner 2 will be on the 360/PS3. FWIW, I think it will probably be something more like Nocturne rather than a new Persona game. Of course, we don't have much evidence so far. Could just be some other game for the 360/PS3 (maybe XBLA/PSN?), and a SMT game for the PS2, Wii, PSP, DS, or some combination of those platforms.

I'd love to see what they could do with the 360/PS3 hardware though. They have some great artists. Too bad they'll basically have to scrap all their PS2 assets though. Might not have too many Persona/demons/whatever in the first game because of this.

18. dback816

dback816 Member

Yes I remember reading something about that too. But soon all the stories surrounding that disappeared when P4 got announced

19. RC Cola