1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Private Health Insurance: How Much Should I Pay?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Hippieloser, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Obviously, the days of expecting one's employer to provide health insurance are just about gone. They certainly are for me, anyway: I've gone the past two years with no health insurance! Now that I'm no longer living entirely hand-to-mouth, it's time to stop tempting fate. The obvious questions are, how much should I expect to pay per month, and to whom? I'm between the ages of 25-64, no pre-existing conditions, no dependents, and I'm a non-smoker (just quit today! Heh). I've also got enough savings to cover a fairly hefty co-pay or whatever it's called. Obviously I'll want doctors visits, prescriptions, and all the necessities covered.

Help me, Clutchfans! How did you find your private insurance plan? Are you satisfied with it? And how much should I expect to pay? I'll dole out rep as your responses demand!

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Clutchfans member, garrinr is the resident health insurance expert.

3. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Excellent, hope to hear (read?) from him on this subject.

4. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Lowest I was quoted was for about $2000 a year, similar boat as you. Ended up not purchasing it though and tempting fate to save money. I have family and friends who are willing to help me out if I need it and basically act as my insurance.

5. Isabel

Isabel Member

Hey, if anyone knows, I've got the same question, similar situation (healthy, no preexisting conditions) and I'm going to have a short gap (1-4 months depending where I end up this coming school year) between insurance policies. My current one does not have the option of continuing or getting a COBRA when it expires at the end of July. Is there anything that you can commit to only month-to-month? Doesn't have to be great coverage, I'd just feel better having something there in case I was in an accident or something.

6. csnerd84

csnerd84 Member

You can try this. I think it costs around $100/month. I believe you can get this month-to-month. http://www.uhc.com/individuals_families/health_insurance_plans/short_term_medical.htm

7. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

There is a product called Short-Term or Interim Health Insurance which one can purchase for a time-frame generally from 30-180 days. It's very cheap, but it is very basic coverage, i.e. Deductible from $500 and up with coinsurance options usually like 50/50, 80/20 or even 100/0. They often can be renewed for another period. Usually ask 3 basic health questions and can be bought online and in effect the next day if you need it.

I'm most familiar with Assurant Health but certainly there are others...

I'd also look into an Accident Policy to supplement. Since an accident is your most likely cause of a significant healthcare expense, go with a higher deductible Interim plan and buttress with an Accident Policy. The bucks you'll save should be significant.

8. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

The things you want (Office Visits, good RX Coverage) are the things that will drive the cost up.

Consider a basic "high" deductible plan with an HSA option. You'll save a lot of money if you don't go to the doctor much! You can fund the HSA in a token fashion through the year and, if you can afford to do so, dump an eligible balance in at year's end.

Add an Accident Plan of some sort to supplant your out-of-pocket expenses should you have a hospitalization due to an accident-- the most likely scenario for a young male.

9. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

Ugh. Insurance companies are such sleazeballs.

10. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

I have a 1500 deductible with BCBS PPO for 180 a month. It used to be 120 when I signed up.

11. glad_ken

glad_ken Contributing Member

Blue Cross Blue Shield and pay $250/month for health and dental with $1000 deductible.

12. noscrusir

noscrusir Contributing Member

I'm in the same situation as the OP too. Was looking around and BCBS offers a plan with $25 co-pay on doctor's visits with a $2500 deductible for $139 / mo ($1500 if you're willing to pay $159 a month). Currently tempting fate as well :(

Might sign up for the 139 plan. Kinda sad since my employer offers a health plan where they pay 50% of the premium but my portion would still be close to $200/ mo for similar benefits (United Healthcare for those wondering).

The responses have been helpful, thanks for advice clutchfans. Hopefully I'll settle on a plan in the next week or two.

13. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

The coffee calling the kettle black.