1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Pretend Manager] Kemp or Straw? (Poll)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by theimpossibles1, Jul 22, 2019.

?

If you could KEEP only one, who is it?

1. Tony Kemp

2. Myles Straw

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. theimpossibles1

Lots of discussion in other threads on this topic. If we can keep only one who would you pick?

Tony Kemp:
    .231/.313/.738 BA/OBP/OPS 4/7 SB

Myles Straw
    .274/.398/.740 7/8 SB

Personal opinion:
    Tony Kemp is a great guy by all indications. Hugs for homers, classic. Solid bottom of the lineup guy. Above average speed, slightly more power than Straw. But for me it's Straw all day.

First of all his at bats are wonderful, just does whatever he can to get on base. Never takes home run hacks, just smart swings to find holes, and shows above average plate discipline. The guy clearly knows himself and that his weapon is his unbelievable speed. Once he is on base, forgetaboutit. I was really bummed last season when he didn't make the playoff roster and really believe he could have pushed us over the edge. His value as a pinch-runner alone is massive in the playoffs.

What do yall think?

mightybosstone likes this.
  2. mightybosstone

I really like Kemp and what he brings to the table, but it's got to be Straw. His OBP and speed make him invaluable, and even though he's clearly still learning the position, it's huge to have another guy who can play shortstop on the roster. If Kemp ultimately does get let go, he'll absolutely find his way to another major league roster. He's definitely capable a major leaguer, but it's hard to find room for him on a roster this stacked.

theimpossibles1 likes this.
  3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Straw just brings more to the table, IMO. He's a far superior defensive outfielder, plays a passable SS, gets on base at a better clip and, of course, is way faster.

I love Kemp. He's, by all accounts, a fantastic clubhouse guy. Straw just does more on the field.

4. SemisolidSnake

Straw...poll.

ISWYDT

5. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Straw can be sent down. Kemp cant. Question answered.

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Straw has more versatility, can be used as a baserunner in the playoffs, and has more options so I'd pick Straw. Though, I expect results will be a lot more lopsided than their future performance will be.

7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

What @jim1961 said. If you are talking about this season, send Straw down until 08/31. If you are talking about the future, Straw.

Hank McDowell likes this.
  8. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

In this hypothetical where I can only pick one...Straw

In reality, the Astros can send Straw down for a month and then bring him back when the roster expands in September.

9. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

Kemp to keep until 8/31/19....Straw after that.

10. Buck Turgidson

Right. All things being equal, you take Straw. Things are not always equal.

11. Newlin

Newlin Member

Kemp doesn't do anything at an elite level. He is very versatile, but I don't know if we will need that in the playoffs if everyone is healthy.

Straw does one thing at an elite level. The man can run very fast. This is something that could win us a game in the playoffs. I would keep Straw just for his pinch running skills.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  12. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Straw will be on the playoff roster just like he was last year but my bet is that he's sent down until Sept 1st call ups.

13. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Yep; what many others have said: Kemp likely gets the pass right now because of his lack of options - but I think it's likely Straw is back 9/1 and on the playoff roster.

The one potential caveat: could Kemp be dealt? They could potentially flip him for a lower-level flyer.

14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Never mind...

15. Hey Now!

Straw... was not on the playoff roster last year. Right?... I remember being convinced he *would* be and then surprised he wasn't. I think he will be this year, though.

16. Buck Turgidson

He was vs Cleveland, they dropped him for the extra pitcher in the ALCS (Sipp?) I do believe

Hey Now! likes this.
  17. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Straw. But only if he promises more TOOTBLANs ;)

18. Hey Now!

Man. I did NOT remember that.

19. Buck Turgidson

Just go ahead and start the wave while blowing a vuvuzela and dancing to the rally monkey why doncha?

20. Buck Turgidson

pinch ran twice, stole 1 base, scored 1 run