1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Preston Tucker called up

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by sealclubber1016, May 7, 2015.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I don't agree with you on much. But I do agree that there should be thousands of these signs at the game tonight.

2. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

And how quickly will these signs be discarded next to:

We want Tucker
    We want Singleton
    We want Duffy
    We want White
    We want Moran
    We want Reed

...just saying , we keep looking for the diamond in the rough, but these diamonds might need polishing over time. I wouldn't expect Bregman to be on fire out the gate..just based on past performance and how difficult the transition can be. Correa may be the exception .Just need to manage expectations here. The guy just got to AAA like a week ago.

1 person likes this.
  3. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

which of the above players had statistics and ceiling's anywhere near bregman's? I'll answer for you - zero.

The comparisons of recent lore that would make sense are
    Springer,
    Altuve (based on statistics, but funny enough, not ceiling at the time),
    Correa

So far those have turned out pretty well. Based on memory, from a batting perspective and hitting numbers, Altuve's rise through the minors is the closest parallel.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Bergman was the #2 overall player in the draft... and is currently the #1 prospect in baseball dominating AAA far more than any of the other players ever did (including Correa).

There also happens to be huge holes in the lineup, especially against left-handed pitching, something that Tucker/Moran/Reed/Singleton have no hopes of curing.

You're either dense or just severely jaded if you honestly would lump Bregman in the same category. He's ahead of where Springer was when he was purposefuly stashed after not signing a contract, and right where Correa was.

5. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

lol seriously? I'm stating my opinion. You don't have to agree with it and I'm not sure why anyone would be offended by me stating the obvious that transiting to the majors isn't always as easy and maybe we should pull the breaks for a second before anointing him the next great player. Sorry for sharing an opinion. I'll make sure I refrain from dense comments in the future.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If your opinion is lumping Bregman as one of your "diamonds in the rough"... I would say that's a dense/jaded opinion.

7. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

cool Nick. I'll be watching all your opinions and calling you out for being a dunce anytime you dare suggest anything that goes against my iron clad knowledge of the truth. . :roll eyes:

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Sounds good... but do you honestly think Bregman deserves to be in the category of the other guys you mentioned, and according to you is a "diamond in the rough"?

Agreed that most players struggle initially and need time... but the better players make adjustments and the lesser ones fail. Bregman is rated about as high as Correa was.... if he ultimately fizzles out and can't make the adjustment to MLB pitching, it would be a far bigger disappointment than any of the other failures.

9. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

I think there is a strong case--at one point--to be made for both Singleton (top rated prospect ) and Reed (#1 1B prospect). Also Colin Moran was drafted #6 overall...

I'd say some of those guys probably held similar expectations at some point. Feel free to disagree and I'm not saying I'm not excited about Bregman...it's also not obvious that he is going to mash out of the gate, based on recent trends. Doesn't mean he can't buck the trend, doesn't mean he won't be the next Springer/Correa, doesn't mean I don't want to hold up his jock like everyone else on here apparently...just pointing out that he was in AA last month.

I am merely stating a personal opinion. Didn't realize this would cause the pitch forks to come out and chase me out of town. And obviously we'll only know the truth once he is in the majors so speculating further is probably pointless anyways.

10. studogg

read the full post - statistically, none of those players were performing at the level of Bregman.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Pitch forks? Don't be dramatic.

Even if you forget about where they're drafted, look at all of their minor league stats (especially AA and above)... and tell me if you think they're the same guys.

12. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

hardly dramatic. I stated an opinion, you called me dense for no reason....unless people opining just bores you and you have to tear them down.

13. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

yeah, so statistically AJ Reed hit .341 in 135 games between A/AA with 34 HRS/127 RBIs. #1 rated prospect. What am I missing?

14. studogg

you are cherry picking. What did he do once called up to AAA?

I think Reed can be a player but still has maturing to do and needs time at AAA. Funny thing, the Astros agree with me.

the players I named dominated at all levels prior to their call up.

the players you named fizzled and were simply on a decent run prior to their call up.

you are missing the point is what you are missing.

15. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

wait so AJ Reed didn't dominate in the minors before the call-up (he was sent back down to AAA)? Bregman has played a whopping 16 games in AAA. Jake Marisnick was also arguably the Astros MVP in the month of April last year... does that small sample size always work out?

I'm not cherry picking...we have had guys do really well in the minors and spring training that were hyped up and didn't pan out (how are Tyler White's stats irrelevant..because he wasn't drafted in the 1st round? Mark Appel says that matters). If you want to believe that Bregman is the next Correa go ahead. I'm not stopping anyone. It's just the carousel of Minor league players with high expectations hasn't always worked out. That's all I'm saying. I stated an opinion. I don't have to back it up with a million facts to counter your opinions that he will streak right out the gate because nobody knows. It's all just speculation.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I was referring to the opinion that you still seem to be sticking to. Are you still lumping Bregman with the rest of these prospects?

Anyways, thread de-railed enough. I presume Tucker will be DH'ing tonight?

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Nobody is saying he will have instant success... but he is expected to be a better MLB player than any of the call-ups over the last 3 years not named Springer or Correa (who you conveniently leave out).

Its not blind speculation... its speculation based on pedigree, performance, makeup, and ultimately tools/talent. What you're saying (that all prospects could fail) IS speculation.

18. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

Dude...nobody ever wanted Duffy.

19. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

DUH. I AM SPECULATING. THAT's MY POINT. I didn't ignore Springer or Correa...I acknowledge they did well out the gate (although Springers batting average was not great)... I'm not sure why you are ignoring the AJ Reed hype since he was touted as the next best 1B since Berkman...which I believe he can be eventually, but has had his share of struggles in the interim (and plenty of people were making "we want Reed" signs).

You've tried to insinuate that I am making a factual opinion when I've only always been speculating...and I"m annoyed that I can't just have a normal conversation without some old timers on here acting like they can predict outcomes to a certainty based on some hype model they have in their dense heads. I'm sure everything you said is 100% factual and Bregman will be just as good, if not better than Correa and Springer to start. Obviously you've travelled to the future and know with 100% certainty that Bregman won't have any struggles. Great. I'm thrilled to learn this valuable piece of information.

20. Jay713

Jay713 Member

Bregman > Correa. That's all.