1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Prepare for an insane off season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Nook, May 28, 2018.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Prepare for a very interesting and important off season for the Rockets.

The club has to decide what they are willing to commit to Chris Paul at his age and injury issues.

The Rockets will have to decide what they are willing to match with Clint Capela.

Trevor Ariza will be a free agent, does he get paid?

Ryan Anderson will not be back. Do the Rockets stretch him and release him? Do the Rockets trade him for another over paid player on a longer contract?

Eric Gordon would rather play elsewhere, so what can he fetch?

The Rockets will try to lure George or James, and it can be done but will require moving other pieces for salary reasons.

Literally 2/3’s of the team are possibly gone.

Will the Rockets be able to time and orchestrate everything timing wise to make a trade/signing of a top free agent AND keep Paul and Capela? Will the new owner pay that large a tax bill?

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

My guesses:

We'll match anything for Capela
    3y/$90mm for CP3
    PJ, EGo, Ariza all made available. Though I think the team really likes all 3 guys, maybe Trevor most of all.

****ing Ryan Anderson. I don't know man. Haven't checked the details of his contract recently but I know it's something like $50mm/yr for the next 17 years. My God that contract is insane. We're going to have to give up 2 1sts for anyone to even begin considering taking that on. Cap ain't changing much over the next few years so cap room is at a super premium.

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

First of all.... its too soon, but I agree its going to be an insane offseason. The team could look drastically different.

Whatever happens, it was worth it to get where they did this year only two third quarter face palms away from a championship in a finals where they would be the clear favorites. Id do the CP3 deal again even if he goes out East next season (something I think is more possible than folks might think), and its possible alot of the role players take bigger deals than the Rockets can afford next season.

The Rockets will probably have to rely on bringing back Capela & him adding to his game offensively. I don't think Harden can carry this team in the regular season all season like he's done in the past, and elevate his game in the postseason.

But lets just take a few days at least to settle down before we start talking about what Morey's going to do or whats going to happen to him he can't control.

4. dobro1229

Also... Ryno isn't going anywhere till the last year of his deal. That contract is stupid bad, and its not worth it to give up firsts to move him. Team just has to find some sort of role for him next year. Early in the season next year when defenses aren't great maybe he can provide some sort of value. Just no point in talking about him in a trade. He's here next year regardless of what happens.

hakeem94, da_juice, roslolian and 3 others like this.
  5. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

It's tough to get into this right now, posting under distress doesn't always give... thought out answers.

It's crazy to think Ryno's contract almost literally cost us the season, i'm not blaming Morey for giving it to him, but wow has he (Ryno) regressed.

6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

If for whatever reason this team doesn't want to pay Chris Paul (which I highly doubt is realistic) then we may as well blow the whole thing up. If we don't bring back CP3, we have no ability to add another star. I can't see any way we are better next year in that scenario.

Likewise, letting Capela walk makes us worse. He will likely be overpaid, but it's pretty much pay him or lose him and be unable to replace him.

DudeWah likes this.
  7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

His role will be the same as it was this year. And it will end the same as it always has for him: unplayable in the playoffs.

If he wants to add value to this team then he needs to start doing the laundry or arranging the team's hotel stays. Maybe there's an opportunity for him to hand out Gatorade cups at time outs, but I'm not confident he can pull that off.

8. newAge_Rockets

Eric Gordon wants to play elsewhere? I haven't heard that one.

9. Vivi

Vivi Member

My dream is to see CP3 taking the biggest paycut possible for him to add Lebron (or George) and just lose Anderson plus fillers (which includes Nene unfortunately), i don't know how much this is possible but still...i would hate to lose Gordon and even more Tucker.

10. macan

macan Member

in Morey we trust

11. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Will ppl plz stop saying stretch Anderson. We already use our stretch provision on Scola, which I said was dumb because he was already on a reasonable contract.

We’re stuck with Anderson for better or worst.

amaru and Stormy1234 like this.
  12. cdxiong

cdxiong Contributing Member

If Capela and Gordon can land us Lebron, I will do it in a heartbeat.

hakeem94, RyanB and dlite316 like this.
  13. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Realistic rotation next season

C: Capela
    PF: Lebron
    SF: Ariza
    SG: Harden
    PG: Paul
    6th: PJ
    7th: Green
    8th: Luc
    9th: Zhou

If MDA is gonna run everyone into the ground anyway, no reason to invest in any kind of depth

hakeem94, mikol13, RyanB and 6 others like this.
  14. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

If Anderson and Gordon land us LeBron you mean. Silly to give up on Capela, one of the best centers in the league.

15. dobro1229

Yep. But doesn't change the fact that he's not going anywhere, and I know he sucks to high hell, but teams do still guard him from three which does help space the floor.

Again... early in the season, I think he's still see PT, but your right. The guys cannot play NBA playoffs defense, and is incredibly un-athletic. He's a garbage player, but it doesn't change the fact that he'll be here next year, and we just got to deal with it. So do the coaches who will try and find something for him to do next year even if it is fetching the gatorade.

16. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

yeah, wtf? no way that's true.

and why would we be so quick to blow up a team that probably should have won the whole thing this year? if we put the same team back out on the court next year, we are at least back in the western conference finals. I think we have to be very cautious about gutting this team. There are very few players you do that for. Lebron is obviously one. I think you have to do it for Cousins too, who is 27 and coming into his best years as a pro. But not many others are worth blowing this team up for.

treeman, Tfor3, Stormy1234 and 4 others like this.
  17. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Ryan will be gone, Gordon would rather play elsewhere!?! Where are your sauces?

Stormy1234 likes this.
  18. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The interesting thing with Chris Paul ... what is his market? Who else can afford to give him $20+ million? Looking at the list of playoff teams that could have space, and it’s slim pickings — would the 76ers want him to help mentor Simmons and Fultz m? Would he go to Indiana to try an eastern route to the finals next to Oladipo?

He’s at an age where he’s not going to a rebuilding team, so he’s only looking to where he can put a team over the top. I suppose that could be the Lakers but only with LeBron... but without the details, that’s essentially going to LA for Lonzo Ball and Brandon Ingram vs Houston with Harden et al.

I’m sure they’ll take care of him, but hopefully he’ll help enable flexibility in bringing in one more game changer. You know this ending absolutely irked him, and he will be in LeBron’s ear the minute the Warriors knock him out.

Depending on how things go, I’m curious if Redick finds his way here. We can use more shooting, always.

19. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

If only CP3 will accept $15mil/yr or less and the same for Lebron, then this team will beat the Warriors hands down next year. Rockets match Capela for sure.

RyanB likes this.
  20. DJboutit

DJboutit Member

CP3 and Capela min to get Lebron GTFO with Capela and Gordon for Lebron would a waste of a trade for Cleveland