1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Predict the next blockbuster trade

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by oldman, Jan 7, 2004.

1. oldman

oldman Contributing Member

I was completely shocked to see the suns trade their best player to basically obtain cap space. Seeing how this trade was not considered by most people, what trade do you guys think might happen that others might not have thought of.

2. oldman

ok heres one: portland receives: brent barry and jerome james
    seattle receives: dale davis

3. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

I could see one involving Tracy McG

4. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

allen iverson may be on the way out of philly..........

5. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Iverson would only make it in the Eastern Conference. The guy simply wouldn't be effective without jacking up 30 shots a night, and his personality and game just doesn't seem suited towards a lesser role. He does get a ton of steals but he gambles a ton on defense meaning a lot of open lanes for his opponent to drive in the lane and create. As tough and as talented as the man is, I think he's overrated. Just about anybody can score 30 points a night if your taking as many shots as he is.

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Rasheed Wallace and Shareef Abdur Rahim seem like two guys that could get moved before the deadline.

I was shocked by the Marbury trade for sure. No one saw that coming.

But I do think there will be a few more deals before the deadline. Wallace in particular seems like the most likely target given Portland's situation with him.

I dont think McGrady or Iverson will be moved.

I wouldn't be surprised if one of the Twan's from Dallas are moved. Especially Jamison.

7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Jeff Van Gundy and Carroll Dawson see an opportunity in the wake of Marbury's NY homecoming. "Hmn," they say, "we have the trade exception, we have an untenable PG situation---we win but not as much as we should; and Steve isn't very happy anyway, so...."

So they send Steve Francis and Bostjan Nachbar to Washington; the Wizards, in turn, send Gilbert Arenas and Jared Jeffries to the Jazz and Brevin Knight's expiring contract to Houston to make up for Arenas' BYC status; and the Jazz send AK47 and Carlos Arroyo to the Rockets.

Given our trade exception, and Utah being under the cap, the trade goes down. Utah has Arenas locked up for another five years and Jeffries is a solid PF/SF player. Wizards have hometown boy again. Rockets have AK47 (need I say more?) and an actual point guard. All is right again with the world.

THAT would be a blockbuster trade.

Oh, wait. PREDICT the next trade. One that will actually happen?

RASHEED WALLACE for Kurt Thomas and Keith Van Horn.

8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I like that trade but why the heck would Utah trade AK for Arenas.

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Why would Portland do that? They are trying to clear cap space not fill it up with a cap hog like Van Horn that is WAY overpaid. They have Randolph and Dale Davis, why would they want Kurt Thomas.

I know the Knicks want to get Wallace but their best chip was Dice since his contract was expiring. Not sure the Knicks have enough now to get Wallace.

10. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Rockbox,

I don't think the Jazz would trade AK47, unless he made it clear that he won't stay. I wouldn't bet on that one. Utah might not be the happening place but after coming over from Russia, it can't be all bad.

Sometimes I imagine Utah could use a Jerry Maguire GM screaming into the telephone, "I LOVE BLACK PEOPLE!" And the free agent saying, "But I don't love Salt Lake City. You get a restaurant that serves decent black eyed peas and corn bread and then you give me a call." (click)

Which is why I believe Utah needs to use that cap space to trade for guaranteed contracts. Although they seem to be doing decently enough. Probably better for them to use the draft picks they are accumulating (one beat writer mentioned trading Googs to Utah for a draft pick; Phoenix would save mucho money in penalties if there's a luxury tax and Googs would come off the books anyway; in any case, I don't know if Utah is actually considering this one).

Deuce, the ESPN message boards seem to believe that a radio report and other indications point to Keith Van Horn, Frank Williams and Othella Harrington going to Portland for Rasheed. True or not? We'll find out. I read this after my earlier post. I wouldn't mind it going down; I will have been partially correct anyway.

But, as I say, until another trade happens, it doesn't happen. If Portland gets KVH, they'd at least get a solid citizen who's halfway decent on the floor. Overpriced, yes, and will rob them of cap room for another season. But maybe Portland would rather stay in contention for the playoffs (and I knew that business of wanting to maybe keep Rasheed was B.S. Too many bridges burned there.)

11. GreenVegan76

GreenVegan76 Contributing Member

Rasheed is a virtual lock to be traded. I don't buy the Knicks rumors, but Wallace will be wearing a different NBA uniform on Feb. 11.

The Hawks are trying to dump SAR, too, though he's having a really nice season. AI isn't going anywhere. He's the foundation of the Sixers franchise. If he's traded, GM Billy King would be drawn and quartered.

12. pchan

pchan Member

I have to think that dallas is going to make another blockbuster trade to get rid of one of their 'toine or 'tawn.

13. outlaw

outlaw Member

From Knicks to Sixers: Allan Houston & Kurt Thomas
    From Sixers to Knicks: Allen Iverson, Derrick Coleman & Greg Buckner

Knicks
    G: Stephon Marbury
    G: Allen Iverson
    C: Dikembe Mutombo
    F: Derrick Coleman
    F: Keith Van Horn

Sixers
    G: Allan Houston
    G: Eric Snow
    C: Kurt Thomas
    F: Kenny Thomas
    F: Glenn Robinson

14. oldman

i think SAR will get traded to the knicks and i also think nick van excel and steve francis will be traded before the deadline... not for each other though.

15. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Who do you think Francis will get traded for oldman?

16. oldman

i really dont know but for some reason it seems that francis will never adjust to this style of play. i dont want francis to be traded but i think he probably will be. maybe a three way deal involving francis and taylor for jamal crawford and rashard lewis and change(fizer and draft picks). that sounds unlikely but you never know.

17. lalala902102001

The next major trade will involve the Mavericks. I guarantee you that.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

We trade Yao to Clevland for Lebron James.

:)

DD

19. annthuyn

annthuyn Member

I was reading December's SI today, and it had a short insertion about TMac. He says it really depends on if Grant Hill is healthy enough to come back and play at the end of this season/next season or not. He says that they traded some of their role players without consulting him, and he doesn't want to be there if he doesn't have other good players around him.

20. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I would have thought you were crazy before the draft, but getting to watch Lebron and more on Yao. I would probably do it. The kid just effects the game in a positive way even when his shots aren't falling.