1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Prayer in school...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by idrockfan, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

I highly doubt there is any remotely serious effort in any public school in the US to do that.

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

But that wasn't his comment. This was.

"How would you feel if you are Jewish and the school has a mandatory prayer every morning?"

3. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You guys are all wrong. Lack of prayer in school leads to things such as Columbine and low SAT scores.

4. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Been watching O'Reilly or Mullah Robertson lately? :rolleyes:

5. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

I think the pledge should not be said in school - but not becuase of the "under god" part.

That being said, I do think the "under god" should be removed from the pledge as it has nothing to do with pledging allegiance to the US and was added as part of the anti-communist 1950s-era "religious revival".

http://slate.msn.com/?id=2067499

6. Major

Major Member

You'd be surprised...

Here's a lawsuit on it:

http://www.libertarianrock.com/topics/censorship/cross_ban_lawsuit.html

Here's a failed attempt at it:

http://www.firstamendmentcenter.org/news.aspx?id=11875

This is why there is such a debate. Both sides have some people pushing extreme views/agendas, and those are the ones that get the attention, and thus make both sides think the other is trying to go too far.

7. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

This is a superficial political football. It is a good rally point that the far left and right used to gather political donations.

8. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

I agree. I'm a Christian and a Republican and I think prayer should only be allowed in school if it is student led... and I think for the most part all of this is over dramatized by both sides. Students can get together for countless reasons; my high school in Deer Park had a car club and a break dance club of all things, what's so bad about a club that celebrates religion? If a kid wants to pray in school then by all means go for it. If the football team wants to bow their heads in the end zone before and after a game, then by all means. If the marching band wants to say a prayer before going out, then by all means. As long as the prayer is lead by a student and no one is forced to participate then go right ahead.

In my school there was lots of prayer, but it was all student led. When it was lead by a teacher or faculty it was always considered a "moment of silence" and nothing more. Simply by "hearing" a prayer doesn't mean you are forced to participate in it... so I hope none of those arguments come up. If you aren't Christian and you hear a prayer to the Christian God then it means NOTHING to you, so you aren't participating. The same is said for me if I hear a Muslim praying to their God I don't get offended, and I sure as crap hope no one else does... I RESPECT their views and let them have their time and then go about my business.

As far as the argument about "God" mentioned in American society and history, please don't be ridiculous... because it is part of our history. From God Bless America to In God We Trust it is all part of our history. Yes, some of it is much older then other, but history is history. If under God was placed in the 1950s, last I checked 50+ years in the past is extremely historical. Why people generally think when "God" is referred to in America it is always the Christian God baffles me. Our country was founded on religious freedoms, and if you believe in the Christian God, the Jewish God or the Muslim God... that reference is for your God and no one else’s. If you're Atheist I'm sorry we can't put something on their that you can relate to, but in a world where over 80% of the people believe in a higher being, you can't exactly please everyone.

Our country was founded on religious freedoms, and they will ALWAYS be a part of our history and reference to our religions in EVERYTHING we do. Most people's religions are the fabric of their being and more important then their family and country, so their love for their religion is bound to trickle down to the latter... but don't despise them for it.

9. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

But then it is exclusive. If your coach wants a judeo/christian prayer and you want to be part of the team you might feel pressure to participate etc. It's just not necessary and not worth it. Too much trouble for nothing. What's the point? Just do group led prayers outside of public school if that's what you need, problem solved.

10. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Well said. I completely agree with this statement and, as usual, agree with Max as well.

11. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Is my sarcasm meter broken or are you serious?

12. Sishir Chang

Technically correct but the implication of the comment was that it was a Christian prayer.

13. Sishir Chang

I don't have time to take a look at the links but I'll take your word for it. If you reread my comment I said "serious" attempt and while the group pushing it might be serious about it it wouldn't qualify interms of seriousness that there is widespread support or much of a chance of a successful ban on personal religious symbols that individuals bring with them in school.

I can tell you this I'm all for separation of Church and state and that goes both ways. If the state were to ban personal private displays and posessions of religious symbols I would be out there protesting that with all of you crazy Christian zealots, ( ;) on the crazy Christian zealot part)

14. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There is no god but Allah, and Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah

I am sure there would be just as much outrage and condemnations if this was mandatory every morning, or even every monday morning as the phrase "In Jesus' name we pray, amen". The problem also arrises when you are using public funds to fund any religious activity because it is an endorsement of a religion. Whether it be a denomination of Christiantity, or a religion like mine, the government cannot endorse the activity because of the first amendment.

My final point is that you can pray at school. As a Muslim, I was eligible for breaks for prayer during my years at high school. A student can wear a cross, a yarmulke or a hijab to school without the fear of punishment. Of course, religion cannot be used to discriminate other students. One could not wear an article proclaiming "Jesus hates fags" or "Die American Infidels".

15. Major

Major Member

The first case is a lawsuit against a school that already has this policy in place and punished a girl for wearing a cross to school. The second case is a case where an entire district implemented this policy, but it has been subsequently tied up in the courts. This goes well beyond a "serious attempt" to an active policy.