1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[PowerLine] SETTLED SCIENCE: LIBERALS MORE CLOSED-MINDED AND INTOLERANT THAN CONSERVATIVES

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

here you go . . . Tyler Cowen argues this morning that "Resentment of the Wealthy Is Not a Policy."

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/a...h-tax-resentment-is-not-a-policy?srnd=opinion

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Not to distract, but to return to some of the others of your climate posts, @Os Trigonum , just a few points.

You claimed, I think, that I was wrong about money because some billions are spent 'on climate.' Not sure how that breaks down, but I can give you some very first-hand data. I'm glad you've won an NSF grant. I too have won some grants, and the following is not at all to brag. It is just to share some data that I tabulated this morning over coffee. The point of the following is that there is an enormous difference between (a) the government spends billions on research, and (b) the conservative mantra that climate science is a big game where scientists just enrich themselves. (That's so laughable, especially compared to the much larger sectors of defense-related research, cancer-related research, and petroleum-related research, all of which get no public controversy.)

Let's say I've won, as the lead author / "principle investigator", $X in total grants (from a few different federal agencies and also some private foundations that support science). What has directly rewarded my bank account? Less than one third of one percent of X. So where did all that money go if it wasn't even enough to help me and Mrs. B-Bob replace our junker car? It went primarily to big equipment purchases, construction, architects' fees, and in some cases to student salaries. (Wow, all summed, when I look at it: talk about a job creator, damn.)

Grants can definitely help someone's prestige. But the idea that scientists are enriching themselves, and lining their pockets, versus actually doing work that they are good at (in most cases) and deeply care about (in the preponderance of cases) is still incorrect.

The other thing our exchange brought out is that you wish scientists had a better appreciation of history (and, it seems to me, of philosophy and sociology). You are (based on your posting) much more interested in those factors than the actual science. And that's very cool. No problem with that. And you are correct when past doom-sayers have been, in many cases, proved wrong. But there is some red herring-ing going on, whether you intend it or not.
    1. I believe you once posted that scientists are claiming 100% of warming is due to human activity. I don't sense that this is true. It's very hard to estimate. 70% of the cause? 50% of the cause? 45% or 85%? I don't know. Actual deeply imbedded climate scientists might have a better notion. But we definitely know (to my mind it's beyond doubt) that extra carbon in the atmosphere will only accelerate the warming. I feel that this "100% caused by humans" is a useless red herring.
    2. I also think I recall you posting something about the earth being more resilient than scientists give it credit for. Well, not sure scientists are saying what you claim. Planetary scientists and atmospheric scientists usually will admit the Earth is in a very stable equilibrium to support life, abundantly, for millions of years to come, even with extreme carbon levels in the atmosphere or even after a nuclear war. We're just the right distance from the run, with a good mix of things in the atmosphere. It will take an asteroid or gamma-ray burst to change that. That's the scientific consensus, as I understand it.
    So, no, we're not talking about ending life on the Earth, but the worry is more specific and worth considering: if the warming trend continues and sea levels continue to rise, it could have a significant effect on humans, and other life forms that have adapted specifically to the current climate.
    Coral, for example, is being lost in the warmer and acidifying oceans. That just seems to be true. However, to my point, new types of coral are already evolving. That was a heartening sign. Humans will adapt too. Whether they can adapt without enormous conflict, loss of life, or unsettling waves of forced and unwelcome immigration is an issue of political will.

Okay, to sum up, here's one last go at it, and I'm going to retire again from climate talk. If you're real about it, on this BBS and elsewhere, the trolls run with single phrases and go on about their lunacy of "hoax", etc. So, let's say I'm correct and that you're slightly more interested in the sociology and history of science than the actual data and results of science itself. (For the sake of argument.) There is a fascinating case study for you in modern particle physics. The Large Hadron Collider has, basically, found just one particle. As critics have noted, it once had a blip that launched 500 papers interpreting the blip, and the blip turned out to be pure noise. Super string theorists, it would seem, have lost their way especially. All the super symmetric particles the LHC was supposed to find? They don't seem to exist, billions of collars and huge tunnels later. There's some fascinating and relevant sociology going on in these communities. Those are very important factors.

In climate data and modeling, I think sociology is still an interesting factor, but I'll give you this analogy, because I think the actual data and analysis is much more central and important here. A lot of us see it like this, it strikes me: a handful of people are in a valley, and an avalanche is obviously starting further up the mountainside. One guy is pointing at a rock and saying "well, that rock is not moving and it may never move. how do you explain that, smart guy? The rumbling we hear could be an airplane and it might go away soon." Another guy is saying, "well, I remember when y'all predicted a volcanic eruption and that never happened, so I'm skeptical." The guys are raising their voices b/c the roar of the avalanche is that loud. The scientist is, like, "GTFO guys! Just look up the moutainside at what's coming!" He's trying to hand them binocs but the guys are just criticizing the brand of the binocs and complaining about the focus controls.

Now, it could be that if that analogy has any use at all, it may be that the changes that are happening, and all the carbon to come from Asia alone, etc, mean it really is a landslide and we need to focus on helping people and societies adapt to new conditions instead of arguing about energy sources. That could be. I'll leave y'all with an interesting video about climate scientists in Australia.

As I've said countless times, I hope and want all these people to be very wrong. I'd love it to be mass delusion, but having tracked the data in this field for about the last thirty years, I don't think that's the case, at all. Cheers, and over and out.

PS -- I really like former-skeptic and non-panicking scientist Richard Muller from Berkeley. Here's how he talks to his kids about climate. (He wrote the great book, Physics for Future Presidents, based on a course he teaches, or used to teach, to non-scientists at Berkeley.)
    https://www.quora.com/What-is-Richard-Mullers-stance-on-climate-change

#82 B-Bob, Feb 1, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  3. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Where scientists are currently making money, and this might be more intrinsic to the University of Oregon, is when they can take a probe, a marker, or something of the sort and spinning that off into a private company. The NSF used to run a ton of bridge grants to help you do that too. One of the graduate students that mentored me developed an organic probe for sensing nitrates in soil run off. I won't put you to sleep with the chemistry of it, but it elicited a color change upon nitrate binding and from that he spun it off into its own company. After getting his Ph.D., he and his adviser took that and starting testing it in field and even selling devices to farmers. Isn't that the Republican American Dream? Government funding helps create a private industry facility to then hire and employ a ton of people while making a sustainable business. That prof along with others had a ton of different side business ventures as well. Heck, one member on my committee used to be a big wig at Molecular Probes/Invitrogen/Life technologies (now Thermo Fisher).

These people aren't looking to get fat and happy on government grants, and in fact, a primary motivating force for a lot of people going to graduate school at all is to make the world a slightly better place. The last thing a lot of them want to do is just check a box and collect their paychecks, if they did, they would have just gone to private industry after getting a bachelor's.

Os Trigonum, Amiga and B-Bob like this.
  4. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

Again, I appreciate the lengthy and thoughtful response, and will do my best to respond in kind.

I was responding to your statement "There is very little money for climate research." I simply replied "Here is where I think you are mistaken" and cited the GAO figure of a $10 billion annual Federal expenditure.

I have never once echoed, repeated, or stated "the conservative mantra" that climate science "is a big game where scientists just enrich themselves." I know there are a lot of folks here on this board that like to put words in other peoples' mouths, but I am sure you are not one of them.

My point about sucking at the public research teat, however, I think still stands, with all due respect. You as a tenure-stream faculty member CAN be a principal investigator on grants; fund a lab; hire graduate students; and get the published articles that will allow you (hopefully) to win tenure. After that, move up the chain of command perhaps, become an associate dean, then dean, then vice-provost, who knows, maybe you'll be a university president some day if you're good enough at chasing the money.

Or perhaps if you are successful you will be recruited away by another university that can offer you more salary. Perhaps you are in the $200k range and are offered $300k to go elsewhere--and perhaps they can sweeten the deal with a nice startup package that your current university can't afford. And maybe this happens more than once for you over the course of your entire career.

None of this is available to junior faculty, lecturers, adjuncts, research associates, extension associates, etc. In cases where such junior faculty write and win a grant, someone with professorial status must sign on to act on the grant-winner's behalf to serve as the principal investigator of record. You acknowledge in the very next sentence that "Grants can definitely help someone's prestige." Yes, but it is that prestige (and grant-getting track record) that gets you TENURE at a Tier I research institution. If you don't get the money, you don't get tenure, you don't keep your job. You go to work doing something else. And if you're a half-time lecturer, maybe you don't ever make much more than $30k or $40k a year until you retire.

Again, I have never ever EVER said anything about scientists "enriching themselves," as if to suggest that scientists are "getting rich."

What I have suggested, however, is that scientists who are very good at chasing the money get more resources from the university, more respect, more deference when it comes to things like sabbaticals and divying out institutional resources, etc etc. In a sense that is a type of "enrichment" but not the cartoon version commonly attributed to conservative cartoonists.

fair enough

I work with some of these people. I'm not saying it is a widely-held view (but I am not a social scientist, so I haven't made a formal attempt to find this out). But I think it's a fairly common view. Just a quick google search turns up articles like this one, which attribute as a source Gavin Schmidt . . . who probably hasn't made much effort to correct them if he's even aware of having been cited:

https://www.carbonbrief.org/analysis-why-scientists-think-100-of-global-warming-is-due-to-humans

I'm not all that confident that they do, deeply embedded or not. I think most practicing scientists with more than a casual claim to being connected to "climate science" put the attribution figure somewhere above 50% . . . but that's just the sense I get from the things I tend to read.

I think the physics here is uncontroversial and widely understood.

I am not so sanguine I'm afraid. I think many people (including scientists, citizens, and politicians) truly believe the figure is (a) 100% caused by humans, but also (b) "will be catastrophic." Hence the calls for world-economy-wrecking action, yesterday.

Fair enough, but I do think there are alarmists who do think we're talking about the end of life on Earth, and I work with some of them.

B-Bob likes this.
  5. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

can't believe I ran up against the 10,000 character limit. here is the second half of my response to @B-Bob

I think we are in rough agreement here as well. Coral was the cause célèbre not too long ago, and as you say seem to be bouncing back a bit from whatever ailed them. So now people aren't talking about coral so much. Polar bears? thank god folks have let that one go as well.

Remember we are talking about what will very likely be extremely SLOW change, over the course of decades or centuries. For all the talk of "climate refugees," for example, to take your mention of forced and unwelcome immigration--those migrations will happen over extremely long periods of time, and presumably we will be able to deal with that effectively, efficiently, and relatively painlessly when that time comes. This is a very, very, very different kind of "forced and unwelcome immigration" than the kinds that happen very rapidly during wartime, for example, or after a catastrophic/cataclysmic natural event (flood, typhoon, volcanic eruption, tsunami, what have you).

fair enough . . . for the sake of argument. ;)

I'm familiar with the topic, although more of my background lies in the history of biology. A counter-example that comes to mind is plate tectonics. Dude comes up with the idea around 1910 or so; the idea makes no sense whatsoever in terms of cohering with what was known in science at that time; and the idea was dropped. Fast forward 60-70-80 years, science has changed, knowledge has progressed, and the idea of plates floating on the earth's surface suddenly makes sense. Dust off the old theory, and now it's settled science. moral of the story: it can go both ways. Success or failure. Time will tell. Time always tells.

I'm familiar with that analogy. And others like it . . . frogs boiling themselves alive as they say "Things are fine."

Here's another analogy. Look up Gettier paradoxes. Gettier was a philosopher who only wrote a couple of papers--this most famous one was something like three pages total. Utterly changed epistemology as a discipline.

Gettier wanted to examine the idea of knowledge as "justified true belief." Prior to his work, for knowledge to count as "knowledge" it had to be both "true" but also "justified", i.e., not just lucky.

Gettier tells us to imagine we see a sheep in a field. We conclude, "There's a sheep in that field." That counts as knowledge, because we see the sheep (justifying our belief) and the object out there is what we take to be a sheep.

We go out to the field to verify our knowledge to confirm its truth.

When we get out to the field, we see that what we had initiially believed is a sheep is something else--a plastic garbage bag perhaps, or someone has cruelly placed a sheep decoy out there to trick us. Crestfallen, we conclude we were wrong.

But wait! just below a rise in the field there are actually sheep which we did not see from our initial vantage point! Turns out our belief was "TRUE". Our belief that "there is a sheep in the field" was both true but turns out not to have been justified.

Long and short of it: we can sometimes hold TRUE beliefs but for the WRONG reasons. There is a nonzero probability that our knowledge of global warming is like that. We may "know" the climate is warming; we may be "justified" in that belief at the moment based on the best current available evidence; BUT there is a slight chance that when we get out to that sheep in the field . . . when climate science gets to some unknown date in the future . . . it may turn out that our reasons for our belief were wrong. Even if there is still a sheep somewhere else in the field; even if there is still climate warming at that point in the future.

fair enough. not sure if my seat-of-the-pants summary of Gettier problems makes as much sense, but there's a pretty good summary of them on wiki at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gettier_problem

(turns out the sheep in the field belongs to Chisolm)

I don't think it (climate change) is "mass delusion"; on the other hand, I think there's an awful lot of the-end-is-near, the-sky-is-falling sentiment that IS delusional.

Agree about Muller, I'm a big fan.

Thanks again for such a thoughtful response.

jcf and B-Bob like this.
  6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I see inconsistency here. You seem to be subscribing to the uncertainty stance (climate change is still very uncertain), while making other certainty statements.

Believing in A and B doesn't mean world-economy-wrecking actions, yesterday, today, or tomorrow.

The believe that there isn't a carbon-neural or renewable(s) (or whatever else) that can be done without wrecking the economy is exactly that. This assumption is wrong long term. And is a debate short-term. How short depends on at what scale, when, and how. Certainty here is invalid based on assumption. You can said it destroy the carbon-emitting industry.

SLOW (climate change) is relative. On an Earth-life-time scale, what we are seeing is freaking fast. On a human one-life time-scale, it is slow moving. But slow doesn't mean slow impact. Can you rule out abrupt impacts? No. In fact, that's a focus - people are trying to understand the impact, not just the "temp" is increasing. Certainty here is a blind spot that can come back and bite you hard. It's a topic that need consideration and studies and has been on-going --- is there some trigger, warning for abrupt impact (to society, to government, to state, etcs)? How to react? How long do you have to react? Etcs. These are all very important questions to consider. While you have reject the "catastropic" certainty, you then have certainty of non-abrupt impact.

7. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

good points, but . . .,

Believing in A and B as premises can sometimes yield the conclusion C, where C = "calls for world-economy-wrecking action, yesterday."

yes, perhaps that's true. But the pace of climate change is still not anywhere near the asteroids-hitting-the-earth-and-making-the-dinosaurs-go-extinct level . . .

https://news.nationalgeographic.com...nction-asteroid-chicxulub-soot-earth-science/

8. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Who is making that claim? All reports indicate that climate change is going to cause massive human migrations, the spread of more disease carrying insects, and coastal flooding. No scientist is claiming the end of the world. Just a very expensive issue that is going to displace millions and cost billions.

9. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

you realize what I ACTUALLY said was "I think many people (including scientists, citizens, and politicians) " . . .

So you're putting words in my mouth.

But if you want an end-of-the-world prediction, there's always AOC:

I've cued it up for you so you don't have to listen to her the whole time :D

10. fchowd0311

Oh boy, It's over. Let's end the discussion because she made a hyperbolic claim. What damage she has done!

11. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

12. fchowd0311

13. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

no point really. I was just trying to be polite. You were the one who posted this:

14. fchowd0311

You posted about hyperbolic claims before my post. What was your point before I posted?

15. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

you've lost me now.

16. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

another day another data point

17. fchowd0311

Yes, I'm intolerant of people who cheered loudly and proudly when their cult leader declared exuberantly in third person that he will shut down all immigration of a group people, some of whom are my closest family members.

If you want me to say I should be tolerant of people who don't want my grandma to visit me here in the States inorder to conform to your insincere moral compass, I'm not. Yes, I'm intolerant of that type of rhetoric.

18. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

more accusations, more mud-slinging, more monkeys-flinging-poo . . . another day another data point

19. fchowd0311

I'm sure you are absolutely outraged.

20. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

nope, not really.