1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[PowerLine] SETTLED SCIENCE: LIBERALS MORE CLOSED-MINDED AND INTOLERANT THAN CONSERVATIVES

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

yeah-science-breaking-bad.gif

excerpt:

"Translation: Liberals read the NY Times and listen to NPR (as do conservatives), but don’t take in much conservative media. So when a conservative thought breaks in on their bubble, they freak and plug their digital ears. In other words, conservatives are made of tougher stuff. (But you didn’t need social science to tell you that.)"​

https://www.powerlineblog.com/archi...-minded-and-intolerant-than-conservatives.php

reporting on this study: http://www.thejsms.org/index.php/TSMRI/article/view/359

Dark Rhino likes this.
  2. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

TIL ignoring grandma's "Fw: Fw: Fw: Fw:" bombshells is intolerance.

3. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Pulled this from the original source material:

4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

S
    So you’re saying the science ISN’T settled . . . maybe they could study clutchfans’ “ignore” patterns in their future studies ;)

RayRay10 likes this.
  5. CCorn

CCorn Member

I do ignore the articles my conservative family members post on Facebook that say “Michelle Obama actually a man?”

6. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

LOL open-minded and intolerant people watch Fox News and Infowars LOL

Eric Riley and No Worries like this.
  7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I would imagine. Only conservatives would believe in Alex Jones' conspiracy theories.

You'd have to be a kook to not believe in climate change. Glad to see liberals aren't backing away form science.

How does it feel to own yourself @Os Trigonum ?

#7 REEKO_HTOWN, Jan 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
    snowconeman22 and sammy like this.
  8. WNBA

WNBA Member

global warming is china hoax.....

should i accept this as fact? have to be openminded.

9. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

I have found that I do comment / debunk articles from my conservative friends a lot more than my ultra-left ones. I know that the conservative ones will actually give it a thought and consider what I say, but the ultra-left ones who somehow still believe the OK gesture is a white-power symbol will not.

10. CCorn

CCorn Member

On Facebook I have about 3-5 crazy far left friends and about 10x that crazy far right. From my experience neither of them will accept they believe stupid things. But that’s what they are, stupid.

DFWRocket and No Worries like this.
  11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The winky let's us know you are fun and good natured.

12. KingCheetah

Cooks stand to make a lot of money when they no longer have to use a gas/ electric heating source due to global warming.

13. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

The authors of the "study" listed the limitations in their research (noted above). That appears to be a good starting point for the list of reasons that it was "published" in a journal based at Tarleton State University and not any of the established journals. A good analogy would be if I posted something as "settled science" based on a single article in a journal published by the University of Houston at Victoria.

In addition, even if I take it as 100% factual, the results are substantively small. The survey didn't in any way try to distinguish between policy disagreement and offensive commentary, which is a HUGE mistake given the prevalence of insulting and offensive comments made by conservatives. For example, I don't even know of a term analogous to the "libtard" idiocy I see conservatives post on a daily basis.

Not "settled science," just a single study with such major flaws that it was published in the equivalent of an off-off-off-off Broadway journal.

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Otherwise what might we think?

15. KingCheetah

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

gotta love this line on the front page:

Very open-minded of them

Eric Riley likes this.
  17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I mean Conservatives actually believe that The Clintons are part of a Child sex trafficking ring run by the Deep state and John Podesta.

Think about that. They think a 4chan poster named Q is real. They think that Mueller is actually investigating Hillary Clinton.

Very open minded indeed.

Eric Riley and vlaurelio like this.
  18. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

"Liberals" are definitely more intolerant........of stupidity.

Here's how it normally goes:

- Trump conservative says/posts something stupid and nonsensical
    - "Liberal" calls it out as stupid and nonsensical
    - Trump conservative accuses "liberal" of being closed-minded and calls him/her a snowflake

This is the new normal in political discourse thanks to tea party/Palin/Trump etc.

I say "Trump conservative" because I know many conservatives who loathe Trump. I wish there were more, though. Lots more.

19. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

20. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

This is why I'm not a conservative despite what some people on CFs say. I highly value actual liberalism. They are full of it if they think conservatives are holier than the leftists. Both sides have a ton of closed minded dolts.

BruceAndre likes this.