1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Power Tools….

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Mr.Scarface, Mar 17, 2024.

1. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

What brand power tools do you use for your DIY projects?

I started with Craftsmanship 20+ years ago because of a Sears’ card and still have a Mitre Saw. First battery powered tools were the old Ryobi blue tools, then green. Then, I ran into a job about 12 years ago that required a Multi-Tool and the Ryobi didn’t cut it (literally) and got an Milwaukee M12 multi-tool kit with drill. From there, It was Milwaukee 95% percent of the time.

M12 Fuel: hammer drill, impact driver (Gen 2), hackzall, Stubby impact wrench, extended reach ratchet, cut off tool, and a M12 (non-Fuel) 3/8 ratchet.
    M18 Fuel: 1/2” Impact Wrench (one-key and takes off Everything!), Gen 4 Impact Driver, lawn blower, and a Sawzall,

Ryobi: 6 - 1/2 circular saw, dual inflater, work bench light, orbital sander, rotary tool, and flashlight.

Craftsman cored Jigsaw

May upgrade to a Ryobi compound Mitre Saw or decent Harbor Freight one. A Ryobi One+ Jigsaw, a Milwaukee tower light, a Ryobi airstrike nail gun/narrow crown stapler have been on my list.

Power tools are an addiction.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  2. Buck Turgidson

Ryobi, Milwaukee, Bosch, Dewalt, Makita, whatever...

Unless you're a professional contractor there's not much difference b/t any of them

Buy all the same, so you have 2 chargers and multiple batteries

3. Newlin

Newlin Member

I would agree. If you are a DIY guy that just uses these tools occasionally, the cheap stuff(Ryobi) will do just fine. But, if you are using your tools on a daily basis, then paying more is worth it for sure. I’ve never used any of the cheap power tools from Harbor Freight, but I would definitely consider it if it was just for a one time type job.

4. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Started with Ryobi. Served me well. Only a DIYer. But I changed out to Makita for the workhorse tools. They're much nicer to use. Power, size, weight, all improved over Ryobi. I don't need it, but it makes it more pleasurable to use. Also got a Hitachi framing nailer, super useful when I built my shed.

I'm a heavy DIYer, too. Last contractor I hired was to install a subpanel and EV charger. I don't like working electrical.

5. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

There is a signi difference between certain brands. Ryobi, craftsman, Bauer, Hercules type brands are do it yourself brands. Milwaukee, DeWalt, Flex, Makita, Bosch and brands like that are just perform better in DYI situations. You don’t have to be a Pro to know.

6. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Milwaukee is the current king, but they’re proud of them now.
    I have almost the entire 20v dewalt arrangement.
    And the M18 Impact, drill, multi tool and orbital sander.
    Always been a Dewalt guy but lately their product has been slipping.
    Heard Flex was starting to really make a splash now too

Xerobull and Buck Turgidson like this.
  7. Duncan McDonuts

If you're gonna get a miter saw, I would avoid Ryobi/Kobalt unless you don't need accuracy and just want a simple cross cut.

8. Buck Turgidson

Few years ago I made the genius mistake of loaning my sawzall to a buddy...never saw it again. When it comes time to need it I went to Home Depot, was gonna buy a Dewalt (like all my other stuff) and looked around...for about $40 more than the sawzall they had an entire Ryobi set (drill, skillsaw, sawzall, impact wrench, dustbuster, charger and 2 batteries), so I said "I'd be dumb not to buy this". I've had zero issues with any of it, and I've used them pretty regularly and kinda beat the hell out of 'em.

Also, I would 1000% rather work on electrical stuff than do plumbing.

9. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I’m exact opposite. I’ll do plumbing all day, electrical scares the **** out of me

10. Buck Turgidson

I wouldn't buy anything important there, but I've outfitted about 3 ranch vehicle toolboxes with screwdrivers, wrenches, hammers, garden tools, etc... from there

cmoak1982 likes this.
  11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I have their Atlas blower/hedge trimmer and pole saw.
    They have done great for me. 40/80 volt battery has held up great.

Also have a Bauer orbital sander I’ve used on some cabinets and it’s done good. I don’t knock harbor freight tools, buy ‘em cheap and beat em up

12. Buck Turgidson

Once you shut the power off it's pretty hard to hurt yourself.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  13. Duncan McDonuts

No doubt Ryobi is the best value in cordless power tools. They get the job done and people who look down on them are tool snobs. But you do sacrifice ergonomics for the price. The ecosystem has a vast variety of tools which is why I didn't completely abandon the platform.

Plumbing to me is more straightforward, just messier. Electrical is scary because I don't trust myself to not get shocked. I'll change a switch, fixture, or outlet. But I'm not adding new wiring myself. If I get plumbing wrong, I might damage my property. If I do electrical wrong, I might damage myself lol.

The other day, I was changing out a switch. I turned off the wrong breaker (this room was split between two circuits). I touched the wire to pull it off the switch and got a jolt in my arm.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I have a growing arsenal of Ryobi tools. I'm not proud of it but it works fine.

Buck Turgidson and cmoak1982 like this.
  15. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Don’t always have that luxury. Basic stuff like fixtures/outlets/fans/running wire don’t bother me.
    But I’ve had to work with 220 a few times in my gyms 25 ft in the air and it scares the **** out of me

16. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Nothing wrong with Ryobi at all

17. Buck Turgidson

For me, and my jinky-ass knees, it's more of an issue of crawling around on the ground and/or digging holes, etc...

Outside of that it is indeed a very simple, basic process

cmoak1982 likes this.
  18. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Pex and shark bites have made plumbing a lot easier on the body lol

19. Duncan McDonuts

Have you tried not being an old man?

boomboom and Buck Turgidson like this.
  20. Buck Turgidson

You don't have one of the handheld wireless voltometer chingasas that you touch to whatever you're about to work on and it tells you if there's juice?

To paraphrase the late, great Jerry Reed: when it's hot it's hot, when it's not it's not

cmoak1982 likes this.