1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Power Rankings: GARM thread starter of the month - 2003 Nov-Dec

Discussion in 'ClutchFans Feedback' started by CRC, Dec 17, 2003.

1. CRC

CRC Member

Those who have read my previous threads in the feedback forum might know I have been thinking about doing something like this in hope to encourage posters starting quality threads in GARM. I finally find some time to do it today and here it is, the first edition of Power Rankings since Clutch started the rating system about a month ago. I know, I know, you might say who the hell is this guy in the name of CRC gets to judge something like this? Hehe.. well, I'm just a thread starter & I will be more than happy to see others posting their own rankings in this thread as well.

Ok, The Power Ranking for GARM thread starter of the month - 2003 Nov-Dec (CRC version):

The Top 5:

1. MacBeth

An easy choice. Nobody works harder than MacBeth in GARM these days, & he rightfully deserves this spot based on the quality and quantity of threads he started over the past month. Ok, Ok, he might screw up a little with that trade thread, but hey, nobody is perfect.

Some of the good ones from MacB:

We're Making It Too Easy On Opposing Defenses: Specific Observations

A Detailed Explanation of the Perfect Offesive Scheme For the Rockets No heypartner to give MacBeth his duel on X & O's these days. Sigh.

Icing Yao Ming

And the A Canary In The Mine: An Open Plea To All CCF Rockets Fans thread, where MacBeth expresses his sentiment regarding the problems in GARM. Some good suggestions/discussions in this thread, a good read.

2. crash5179

No one has more 5-star threads than crash over the past month (2). That reason alone should be enough to put crash in this spot. Even though he hasn't started many threads, but when he does, he usually gives insightful, level-headed assessment on the topic & offers his own solutions to the problem.

The two 5-star threads from crash:

Who's better now?

Breaking Down the Rockets Undisciplined Offense

3. codell

One of the most level-headed poster in the GARM. Even though many of the threads he started are kind of in the mold of a paper boy role (articles from the chronicle), he often follow up with good replies in these threads. And when he finally start threads with his own contents, you can almost be sure it's going to be a good read, such as:

Rocket misc. plus/minus stats (season to date)

4. DaDakota

Unlike codell, DaDakota is certainly not the most level-headed poster in the GARM, instead, you can always expect emotion-filled posts him. However, there must be a reason most of his threads are very popular (in terms of replies) & is constantly getting 4-stars. So how bad can he be?

Some of DaDakota's threads:

I have seen enough !! (The Francis & Mobley are dumb thread)

Lack of footspeed in the frontcourt

5. Sir Jackie Chiles

Yeah, SJC is nosy & has a tendency of giving other posters a tough time (hehe...I start to suspect the reason MacB has no 5-star threads yet is because of SJC's 1-star voting :D ), but SJC indeed knows exactly how to start a good thread & foster good discussions. Here is an example:

Summary thread: Suggestions for improvement, player by player

Ok, that's it from me! Feel free to post your own rankings & provide links to threads you think deserve some merits.

Cheers!

CRC

2. codell

codell Contributing Member

Not to sidetrack your thread, and I appreciate the compliment, but the reason why I don't start many threads, other than Chron articles, are because almost every imaginable subject about the Rockets are already being covered in at least 2-3 diff threads and Id rather put my thoughts into those instead of creating whole new ones.

I wish more people would realize that before starting so many redudent topics. It would probably make Clutch's life much easier.

3. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

... That... and money. A large stinking pile of money. Maybe something akin to Scrooge's money bin, where Clutch could take a swim in gold coins. :)

CRC, I think you should rename this the "GARM poster of the month" awards (not "thread starter"). A lot of great posters don't start new threads, as codell pointed out.

... Oh, yeah, and I nominate Jeff.

4. CRC

CRC Member

That's a good point codell, and I hope people don't start redundent threads too, that's definitely part of the criteria for being a good thread-starter.

I should have noted earlier that something like this is not to encourage people to start many threads - it's all about quality and not quantity. And certainly this is not to diss those great posters who don't start their own threads -- just like you said, if there are already existing threads covered the points we'll like to talk about it's better to just post under these instead of starting new threads (& that's why guys like heypartner & myself don't start many threads too).

However, I do see some advantages of starting something like this & pointing out examples of some of the good threads over the past month, I've already covered my intention under the following thread:

An idea to improve the quality of the BBS

To me, it's important that we have prototypes of good threads so that newbies & others could look up on & learn, instead of them starting new threads aimlessly. And that's why I've put in the links of the good threads you guys have started too.

I'm sure you'll understand.

5. CRC

CRC Member

Vescey, I certainly understand your good intention of having a "poster of the months" ranking instead of "thread starter" of the month, but I do have my reasons why that's not the case here:

1) I'm trying to address a problem, and starting something like this is an attempt to address that problem -- the problem of redundant/low quality threads that do not foster good discussion in the GARM.

2) Certainly we should also give props to overall great posters, but start something like that is way beyond my capability since I don't read every posts in the GARM, and I won't be able to address great posters & provide links at "post" level.

3) I know we already have a competition for 'poster of the year' & other awards to compliment these great posters, so I'll give the honour to guys like Moestavern19 to run these events.

6. CRC

CRC Member

Also, I forgot to mention in my previous posts -- it's important that good thread starters should try to contribute & start quality threads.

No, it's not OK just to post under someone else's posts if you are capable of starting great threads -- that's called waste of talent. Here is what I think what great thread starters should do to improve the quality of thereads/disussions in GARM:

1) Before other so-so/below par posters starts a thread regarding a certain topic, be quick & start one on that topic before them. e.g. If Francis is not performing well in a game, start a thread on that topic before others do so.

2) Admins/Mods then can have a choice to either lock/delete the redundant threads or merge them under YOUR thread.

As a result, we'll see more quality threads with good initial posts -- which will lead to better discussion.

The quality of the GARM will significantly be improved if we have more quality threads started by quality posters.

7. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Maybe I didn't read your last post right, but it sounds like you want people to "compete" against each other in doing threads on the same topic.

That will never fly, regardless if the first thread starter is a good poster or some newbie. Repeating or duplicating threads is one of the first things I learned NOT to do when I started here.

8. CRC

CRC Member

Manny, You definitely missed my point.

No, of course I'm not encourage people to start multiple posts on one topic -- I'm saying that if a great poster is the first one to start a certain topic, everyone else can just post under his/her thread. simple as that.

If there are some dumbass newbies or other posters indeed start a redundant thread (happens all the time), then mods will have a legitimate reason to lock or delete them.

9. CRC

CRC Member

err... I meant to say "I'm not encourage people to start multiple 'threads' ".

10. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

No offense, but I think an abundance of awards and special titles(Poster/Starter of the month) really just cheapens the board. I think that the tournament and moes' awards are more than enough.

Despite the flood of redundant/ignorant posts/threads, we still have many great posters, and I don't think they need awards to encourage them to continue posting.

11. CRC

CRC Member

vj23k,

This Power Ranking thing is not an "award", & it's not a popularity contest too. It's about giving props to good thread starters & post links of great threads here so people can read some of the highest quality threads over the past month.

You can treat it as a place where you can find links to all the high quality threads started by quality posters. Imaging how this could help newbies & other people who only want to read high quality stuff. It's about setting a good example for others to follow.

Again, this thread is trying to address a problem & it's about offering examples to educate members on how to start a good thread, not some kind of popularity contest nor to determine who's the most respectable or well liked posters.