1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Post your midterm analysis here

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GMNot, Jan 22, 2003.

1. GMNot

GMNot Member

Although I regularly check threads here and read a fair number of them I haven't had much impetus to post -- much less start a thread. But last night's game in San Antonio and tonight's game in Dallas has prompted me to put my two cents in as a "mid-term" report card.

I've been a Rockets fan since before the team drafted Hakeem. I started watching the Rockets about the time of Phi Slamma Jamma because I worked at the University of Houston during that time and became interested in basketball in general because of that team. So I don't consider myself a newbie. Nothing printed here will be a revelation and has been thrashed out many times in different threads in the past. And if that were the criteria for whether or not a thread should be allowed there would be very few threads, if any, anymore. So indulge me. And YAWN if you want to YAWN. :) I'm frustrated like a lot of Rocket fans and this is way I see the status of the team after the first half of this season.

On "paper" this team has a lot of talent. Well, maybe it's more of a gut instinct than statistics. There are really no "rookies" on this team even though they are spoken of that way in a technical sense. No player on this team should be totally overwhelmed in games just because they are in the NBA. They have all been exposed to NBA level of play at one time or another in their careers. So they should know what to expect on that score, and know what they need to work on to be successful at that level.

The most crucial mistakes that are keeping them from reaching their highest potential are:

On offense - individual play vs. team play, turnovers and inconsistency in putting the ball in the basket.

On Defense - although much improved this year on defense, they could improve on challenging outside shots.

I think it is obvious to anyone watching them play that defense is not what is losing games this year as much as it is their mistakes and poor play on the offensive end.

Several years ago when the Rockets started looking toward rebuilding there were no really exceptional big men to view as a replacement for Hakeem. Cutino Mobley was a pleasant surprise and then the Rockets got lucky and got Steve Francis. Since that time it was assumed that the future was to be built around these two talented players. For several seasons fans had grown tired of the "dump it in to Hakeem" offense. The cry was, that that was WAY too predictible. We needed guards who would attack the basket. And for the last couple of seasons fans were beginning to grow tired of the two guard one-two punch; mainly because it evolved into mostly isolation plays for one or the other guard to create and (hopefully) either score or find an open man due to getting the defense to commit. Suddenly, this season, they had the great good fortune to get a potentially "much better than average" center in Yao Ming. And it has upset the apple cart.

When you start seeing in print and hearing TV announcers openly saying that Francis and Mobley are very selfish players and that Yao Ming isn't being utilized like he should be, it is time for the players to look in the mirror (and a lot of video tape) to see why they are being labeled this way.

The other problems of turnovers and inconsistent shooting, in the end, have to come to rest on the coach's desk. The players game on the court will, ultimately, be a reflection of the coach's demeanor and coaching philosophy. I have always liked Rudy. Rudy is a player's coach because he gives them leeway to do whatever they want -- here lately too much leeway. I think you can be a player's coach and still instill discipline in your players, and by inference, discipline in their game.

This leads to a puzzling observation: Defense demands discipline and if the Rockets are vastly improved in that area this season, then why are they so lacking in implementing a disciplined offense? Or playing with intelligence? They have had a few games this season where unselfish play and a liberal dose of sharing showed their potential to play with ANY TEAM in the league. But most of the time they have continued the one on one style of play that is not only boring but, more often than not, self defeating. Can this be laid at the door of selfishness? I guess only the players really know. But other teams don't have to work nearly as hard to stop one or two players when the other three other players can't or don't get involved as an integral part of your offense.

So what, if anything, would I do if I owned the team? As painful as I would find it, I think I would consider a series of steps.

1) I would trade Moochie Norris and I would ideally trade Mobley, also, for a point guard. If I couldn't trade him for that, I'd bring him off the bench. While Mobley is a gifted athlete he makes too many mental errors, not enough good passes (meaning resulting in a score at the percentage of the team's shooting average) and is too much of a streak shooter to be in the starting lineup. I don't know if he could bring a good point guard in a trade but that would be the ideal. I don't dislike Mobley, I just think his talents are misfit for the personnel the Rockets have since adding Yao Ming.

2) If Mobley was traded for a point guard I would want to try Francis at the number 2 spot and let the new point guard (someone with less of a scoring mentality) run the offense. This way Steve could do what he really does best -- attack the basket and score. He is a better 2 than Mobley. A point guard is more like the conductor of a symphony -- he isn't playing the instruments but if he's good, because of him, it sure sounds good!

3) I would insist that there be more discipline in the offense. There are way too many lazy passes, bad passes and poor shot selection. And I'd try to find SOME way to get players to get more consistent at making jump shots!

4) This last step assumes that Rudy is the reason that discipline is lacking in the offense. If need be, in the end, Rudy might have to go. Any team with a Steve Francis, the potential of Yao Ming and a really good cast of support players should not be struggling so much and look so BAD at the halfway point of the season. Any coach would want the players to like him. And that IS VERY important. It is the best foundation on which team chemistry gets built. But the coaches and players have basketball "careers" and are presenting themselves as "professional" players. The proof is in the tasting of the pudding, no?

This is my biased view for what it's worth.

I'd like to hear other fans diagnosis at the midway of the season and what you would do at this juncture.

2. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I don't have time to give you an analysis, but I will be happy to grade them for you.

B+

Go Rockets!! :)

3. carayip

carayip Member

Writing style/Grammar: A

:D

4. chenyg

chenyg Member

Here is my 2 cents.

Francis is a good point guard and can be a great point guard. I have watched his game since his Maryland days. What I really like about him is that he is such a fighter and competitor. It's a joy to see him taking over a game from time to time. What's bad about him is that he forces things other times. I think he is truely dedicated to make the team better and winning. What he needs is better decision. Of course, making him a 2-guard isn't bad if we can get a good point guard.

Mobley is such a joy when his shots are falling. Unfortunately he tends drive into the lane regardless of the crowd and dish out a bad assist at the last second which leads to TO. He also doesn't strike me as truely care about the team. Mobley is one player that Rudy should discipline from time to time.

Ming is really hitting the wall right now. I think Rudy was wise limiting Ming's minutes during December. He should, however, start to bring Ming in off the bench. A fresh Ming may have an easier time vs the opponents in the 2nd quarter. Besides, we still need Ming in the final minutes of Q4. Also, Rudy should design more plays around Ming so he can get easier shots. I always think one reason Ming is so tired right now is because he has to work so hard to get his shots. Ming has exceeded anyone's expectation by immediately contributing to ROX, now ROX needs to help Ming to get over the hump.

Posey is a great addition. Could be wiser about shot selections though, I only saw him in two games and already had too many airballs for my taste.

Eddie is still a project. Did we trade Richard Jefferson for him? Oh well, he has great potential though.

With Francis and Ming as the corner stone of ROX, I think this team has enough talent to be great. I won't start trading away the players yet. What Rudy really needs to do is to instill discipline to this team and utilize the talents(use Ming) better.

5. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

What Cheng said and oh, B+

6. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

I see nothing but confusion! The Rockets dont play Team Basketball. I am tired of the Mobes and Franchise Show!!

7. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

The main reason thast Jefferson is doing so well is that he has a great Point Guard bringing out the best of all his players. In contrast we have a selfish Point Guard that should be playing the Shooting Guard. Franchise is not a playmaker! If Griffin had stayed with the Nets then maybe he also would be father along in his development.

8. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I agree with a lot of what you're saying GMNot.

This team needs more discipline. Not sure if Rudy is the one to do it, but I'm not calling for his head just yet. If he doesn't make the playoffs this year or doesnt make it past the 1st round in the next 3 years, then maybe, depending on the circumstances.

Francis still makes too many dumb mistakes. He needs to trust his teamates and create for them, he doesn't have to jack up shots and freeze people out for such long stretches. Sure sometimes the star has to take over the game, but see if you can do that w/o shooting the ball, eh? If you're going to play pg and handle the rock all the time, that is.

Griff has talent, but he plays weak and coasts. Maybe after another offseason he can develop into a stud pf. Or maybe he'll just settle for being Horry part 2.

Ming is great. Hard to believe he's a rook, but yup. If he's getting as little touches next year as he is this year, then I'll be pissed. I can buy into the rookie/transition excuses, plus the fact that he's struggling right now, but he should be getting more touches even now, imo.

Overall I'd give them a B. Yeah they have a winning record, but they still have a lot to work on.

/rant

9. jxu777

jxu777 Contributing Member

GMNot,

A+ thread. Superb observations on the Rockets performance and personnel at this point in the season. My 2c on your 4 steps:

1) While I agree with your performace evaluation on Mobley, I don't want to trade him now. This is because as a shooting guard, Mobley's talent is hard to come by. Secondly, Mobley has never played in a system that creates much spacing for his talent. I am very interested in how Mobley will perform in a system like that Tex Winter's tripple post offense where spacing is paramount to eventual scoring. The 1/17 game against LA told me that Mobley CAN be a tremendous asset in attacking the half court defense that clogs the paint. Mobley's ISO boneheaded plays are as much selfish looking as the offensive system is designed.

2) I agreed with this idea at the beginning of the season. But I have a second thought now w.r.t. Steve playing at 2. Steve's weakness is his height. He has the word of advantages at 1 except some boneheaded plays that fault us fans from time to time. His ISOs are not entirely his fault, the same as Mobley's. It's the system that allowes or even designes those ISOs. Two things convinces me that the Rockets better leave Steve at 1. One is Steve has demonstrated in several big games this season that he CAN be his own type of PG and prevails. Two is Steve may be too short to play at 2. Phill Jackson must have some very good reasons to like tall gurads with long arms. Not to mention the risk that Steve may bolt at hat decision.

3) The two biggest reasons the Rockets has improved on defense is the addition of Yao and the rejuvenation of Cato. It reflects on tangle stats such as rebounds and blocks as well as on intangibles such as altered shots and roung-trip penetration of opposing guards. So, IMHO, the improved defense has not much to do with discipline. It's just the shere defensive talents in the paint. The Rockets actually has very poor perimeter defense so far this year. But when we have solid interier defense, it usually more than compensates our average perimeter and transition defenses.

4) Rudy is the reason for lack of discipline. The only thing I want or hope from Rudy at this moment is he allows and then milks an inside-outside scheme to create better spacing for Steve and Mobley to operate. Yao Ming will not dominate the paint on every night anytime soon. But he is the biggest attraction to the opposing team. If the opposing team decides to one-on-one Yao and dares him to beat them, take it and live and die with it. When ever the post is established and the opposing team tries to jam the middle, Steve and Mobley will have so much better spacing to win or lose the game for us. That 1/17 game just flashes in my mind again and again.

As you may know, I am biased against Rudy's coaching ability for this talented group. My belief is that you can't trade your way toward a dynasty. The Rockets have real and serious talents. To borrow your analogy, it's up to the coach to compose this Clutch Championship symphony that will be much more enjoyable.

10. silvercatt

silvercatt Contributing Member

Yetti what you said pretty much the same with Matt Harpring's case. He wasn't great playing with the Sixers but he looks like an all star now with the Jazz.

11. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

The rocks need to learn that a real offense is run with a touch from every player on every possesion.
    ALso...YAO needs to hussle more. I mean, shaq was out hussling him...shaq (i know he is the best center), but that big guy...huge body mass....running down the court to start his own fast break and get the easy two. he did it a number of times the other night. we need yao to be down the court as one of the first players....not the last!!! the guy is a rookie...where is the hussle?! :confused:

12. chinese

chinese Member

This is a turn around season considering last 2~3 non-playoff
    years. Now we can see many positive things of the team.
    Addition of Ming, All star caliber season from SF, better supporting casts from Posey and Cato.
    But, I do miss Maloney and Price as pure PGs. We do need
    one PG, even average one. How about getting Damon Stadermaire? It is interesting for me.
    We have two corner stones here, no matter how bad SF
    pass is and how soft Ming is, we all know they are going to
    be our dear boys, and bashing will be replaced by praise after
    every win.
    We just need a veteran PG.
    This year, we are going to make the playoff. hate to say IMHO, teast first round loss.
    Our Rockets has no where but better.

13. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Even with the veterans they have , we should be at least as good as phoe and utah, which we are. I can go as far as saying we should be right there with sa also. The grade of this team will always be a question until Ming become the consistent force who is forced the ball during decion making times or Francis plays the part and play like a real pg which he has shown to be capable of. The standard backlash was set the moment the Spurs game was over with Francis. After going 1-12, did anyone think he wasn't going to come out firing? He did what everyone thought he would do and it didn't lose the game, but planted the seed for the Dallas loss. Had Francis had that 1-12 game, but thrown 9 asst, he would have probably finished that game and started out the mavs game in that mode of getting players involved. Since he neither passed theball nor scored against SA, he went back to getting himself off and not the team. This cannot and shouldn't happen with a pg of your team.

Ming is tired and has been for the last couple of weeks. He has never been the explosive player, but now Sabonis seems to have more explosion than he does. It will not do any good to bench him , just let him play through it, try to limit his off court appearences and stuff on off days and he'll catch the 2nd wind. He and Francis are the keys that drive this car while everyone else are passengers. The grade of this team can be higher, but until Ming rises up and francis remember the past couple of weeks he's avg 9 asst a game then this team is still mediocre in the west.

I'll give them c+

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I had a thread about "myths" earlier. I don't want to dig it up again. So let me post my update here on the one about the Rockets playing against good teams and bad teams.

This time I break it up into home games and road games.

Home games against good teams
    Our record: 10-1 (winning 91%)
    Opponents' combined road record: 78-115 (losing 60%)

Home games against bad teams
    Our record: 7-4 (winning 64%)
    Opponents' combined road record: 51-157 (losing 75%)

Road games against good teams
    Our record: 1-9 (winning 10%)
    Opponents' combined home record: 143-36 (losing 20%)

Road games against bad teams
    Our record: 5-3 (winning 62%)
    Opponents' combined home record: 80-84 (losing 51%)

Overall against good teams
    Our record: 11-10 (winning 52%)
    Opponents' combined record: 221-151 (losing 41%)

Overall against bad teams
    Our record: 12-7 (winning 63%)
    Opponents' combined record: 131-241 (losing 65%)

At home we beat the odds against good teams but do poorly against bad teams. On the road, it's the opposite. We beat the odds against bad teams but do poorly against good teams. Why? I have no clue. You tell me.

Overall, we are doing very well against good teams and are slightly below average against bad teams.

P.S. Interesting facts: The only GOOD team we lost to at home was the Jazz. The only GOOD team we beat on the road was the Magic.

15. jello77

jello77 Contributing Member

you are a grade 'a' idiot. ive been wanting to say that for a long time.

Easy, thats crazy...hopefully we beat them bulls sunday with me cheering the rox on the road. however, we have to improve that road record against winning teams...man that sucks...and that home record against crappy teams. just thinking about the knicks and how crappy the knicks are, and then thinking about how badly they killed us leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

i give us a 'b'. but a 'b' is not good enough in the west. oh, and we need to stop playing to the level of the competition.

16. Stone Cold Hakeem

Stone Cold Hakeem Contributing Member

The Centers: A+

Yao has exceeded my every expectation -- he passes, he scores, he defends, but more importantly, he plays smart basketball. He knows his potential and always strives to play up to it. In short, he's the antithesis of every over player in the NBA. I like that.

And Cato, wow. The way he's settled into his reserve role deserves unending praise. He plays fearless every night and provides some of that muscle we seemed to have been missing for so long.

The Forwards: B-

Taylor's obviously playing his way into basketball form and while it hasn't been pretty, he has been improving. Unfortunately, I don't see him reaching top form this season. Actually, I'd just be happy if he could get himself settled and back to speed by the end of this season.

Eddie's young and obviously, another guy that needs another season at least to square up his game. He's starting to become more aggressive on the defensive end which is a definte bonus, but that fire dissappears on offense. I'd like to see him the post more often, we need that kind of presence to run the our optimal offense.

Rice has been fantastic, both on and off the court. I think he brings a lot of intangibles to this team, including the much needed steady hand to reign our excitable youngsters. I'd like to see him stick around ina reduced on court role after his contract is up, but I know the odds of that are virtually nil so I won't hold my breath.

And J Po. J Po is the man. Nothing else really needs to be said.

The Guards: C+

I'd like to give them higher but they haven't earned it. They haven't earned much actually. You know it hasn't been a good season for the backcourt when SCH's favorite guard is Cuttino Mobley.

Steve's still showing signs of mistrust. Its like he wants to win but he beleives himself to be the only capable of taking us there and I think he's learning, slowly, that he can't possibly do it all. A couple more poundings this season and he might begin to see the light.

Mobley's been pretty good this season. Still takes some wtf shots but he's using his head more and looking for teammates. He's also finishing better and playing some pretty great defense.

Moochie just sucks. Sorry, he slows down our offense. I'd say deal his sorry ass but then I'd miss out on those hilarious Space Center Houston commercials. :rolleyes:

The Coach: B

Overall, I've been pleased with our progress. Its obvious Rudy's taking a more passive approach in terms of letting these guys learn from their own mistakes, and I don't have a problem with that, for the most part. I'd like to see more discipline, but some of that has to come from our players too.

Overall: A

This season has been a pleasant suprise for me so far. Cato has been great, Mobley has been tolerable, and we're actually playing defense again. I don't want to look past the end of this season, but I think we're just a summer away from some serious contention.

Go Rox!

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Actually, our mid-season record gives me quite a bit of optimism. I said in my original thread that if the Rockets could play at .500 with the winning teams and at least covered the odds against the bad teams, I'd cosider them to be legitimately among the big boys.

Well, almost. I think we will beat just enough bad teams to get into the playoffs. And we'll be able to stand toes to toes with the big guns. Not bad.

18. GMNot

GMNot Member

Unfortunately, I don't get to post until late in the evening or sometimes later. :)

I've really enjoyed reading all the posts here. Some comments seem reasonable alternatives to what I'm seeing/feeling.

jxu777 - You may be right about spacing making the guards seem ineffective. If Francis and Mobley allow Yao a reasonable time to adjust being the first option and let him have enough touches to "get in the flow" as the players like to describe it, then we'll find out. Until they are willing to find out with the rest of us we'll never know.

Also, you may be right about their defensive improvement being due less to discipline than the addition of Yao and the better consistency of Cato this season. If your view is more correct, then we can rest easy that the Rockets aren't being inconsistent as far as discipline is concerned. :)

Easy - great set of statistics! I keep meaning to compile statistics from several different perspectives but just never find the time. Statistics can be telling and sometimes they can be misleading. I'm not sure what conclusions to draw from the one's you posted, except that the Rockets are inconsistent -- beating a good team at home and losing to a bad team on the road when they shouldn't.

Stone Cold Hakeem - the only thing that puzzles me about your considered analysis is the overall grade of "A". Since the guards seem to get 70%-80% of the touches and you give them a C+ (good grade by the way) I'd find it hard to give the "team" an "A". The offense right now is mostly going through Francis and Mobley.

Well, maybe we can end on winning notes going into the All-Star break. That will numb any criticism we may feel from their "bad" games. Then we can all hope there will be a miracle -- that over the break they will have a vision, be converted and play intelligent, unselfish TEAM basketball. ;)

19. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Easy, great stats breakdown there! I found that very interesting!!

I would be REALLY interesting to see the Rockets "Projected" regular season record using those statistics above with the current records of the remaining Rockets opponents. What would our final record be?

Using those stats then perhaps we are in for another winning streak. Detroit is up next at home and then Chicago and Memphis on the road and Dallas at home. 4 Game winning streak?

Chris

20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Chris,

Your projection question seems to be a lot more complicated to calculate than I have the time to do. I think Juan is our resident number cruncher. Where is he?