1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Post-Game Analysis: Rockets 123, Nets 108

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 26, 2011.

Tags:
  1. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Some of his shots may have just as well been turnovers. Definitely needs to be more selective with his outside shot. Loved his finishes though.

2. fattz

fattz Member

Are we this good are does NJ suck that badly?

-we look like a much better team with scoring from the small forward...

-IF Hill gets any playing time he too should look better with both Miller and the new point...

3. LetsPartyBud

LetsPartyBud Member

UGH! Of course the first game I miss of the season is the one where the Rockets play stellar ball. Great to hear Chase played like a starter, and TWill was finally unleashed!

4. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

If Chase can continue to play like this for the next 22 games then playoffs are a possibility. I think though it would take about 45 wins to make it in the West this year. So that means 16-6 to finish this season. Not impossible given the schedule. These next 2 games are almost must-win situations given that the Rockets are chasing both teams.

5. theimpossibles1

I was just watching Kim Kardashian and her friend with all those empty seats around them.... I wonder if Rockets services called the normal users of those seats and asked if they could be bought back for that game because it was for Kim Kardashian.

Then they could watch on TV and say, "Hey, I bought her those seats."

6. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

She had her bag resting in the seat next to her, which led me to wonder whether or not she went ahead and just threw down a chunk of change to secure that seat and have it serve as a chair-side table for her personal belongings.

7. jorgef09

jorgef09 Member

T-Will's full court pass to C. Lee was awesome!

Great game tonight, very fun to watch.

8. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

The whole building seemed pretty empty. They probably just moved some people to midcourt. I also think some people got up when they showed her because later on there was people right behind her.

Has she been attending every single game?

9. Zero2Hero

Zero2Hero Member

She's been attending every Net game since she started dating Humphries, yeah

10. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

...I think someone mentioned she is dating that awkward looking guy Kris Humphries. He moves like a robot on the court - not graceful at all.

11. Spankie

Spankie Member

but they have D-Will. D-WILL.

12. dartherus

dartherus Member

Scola should be the next captai, he has always had that role in Europe, and in recent tournaments, with the argentinian NT.

He has always had leadership on and off the floor (there's an anecdote of him at 17, convincing a lot of older argentinian players to keep trying in Spain, when they wanted to return to Argentina).

13. dartherus

dartherus Member

The problem with such combo, is that it would be grat in offense, but poor in D.

Rockets would be in a similar situation with the combo of Brooks/Martin. Now at the PG there's D, but SG or SF, at least one of them, should have good D, or Rockets will have problems in long term and playoff games.

14. opticon

opticon Member

I think ricks answer to that right now now is running a guard group of lowry, lee and Martin

When they where on the floor Martin guarded the easiest player of the 3 wings for the other team.

15. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

If the Rockets' SG/SF tandem is scoring 50-60 points per night and the opposing tandem is scoring 30-40 points, we still win the matchup and probably the game.

I always though Battier would make a great coach, but perhaps I was wrong. Could it be that he was teaching Bud to be passive and camp in one place rather than coaching Bud to be Bud, a shooting star playing above the rim, a role and an area to which Battier could never rise?

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Last night, my wife and I took my 11 year old and a couple of his friends to the game for his birthday. It was my 6 year old's first Rocket game. Yeah, we picked a great night.

That game was a blast to watch!

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

The crowd outside in the concourse to see this woman walk by and out of the building after the game was a joke. No one would move. We were trying to get to our car and everyone packed the hall to the extent you literally could NOT get by....and I'm not talking about teenagers or young folks...I'm talking about people in their 50's. For Kim flippin Karadashian. Holy hell, get a life.

18. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

That's wonderful.

19. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Nice to see Chase step up definitively as our 3rd scoring option alongside Martin and Scola. Offensively, our starting lineup is perfect, a very good distributing point guard, a garbage pail guy in Hayes who is a great distributor as well, and is so smart in making the right plays when the defense overextends on him, and three guys that can put the ball in the basket.

If we continue with this unit as our starters, I can see quite a few 30+ point first quarters out of them. Defensively, not so good. They're gonna keep giving up a ton of points.

The removal of Brooks from the rotation is going to make this more of an Adelman team. Adelman's offense is about moving the basketball....period. They did a great job moving the basketball, and moving themselves, getting open and hitting their shots. The more the basketball is moved offensively, not necessarily in transition,but in half court sets, the more the defense has to chase and move and switch, the more effective Adelman's offense is. Brooks, for all his good traits, was another ball stopper. And he simply wasn't effecient enough with his shooting to be a ball stopper.

It will be interesting going forward to watch the point distributions. If Chase continues to give us Martin like efficiency with his shooting and getting to the FT line, we are going to win a lot of high-scoring games, and his lack of D won't matter. When you can get 1.5 points per shot or more with a very low number of turnovers, the team can swallow up a lot more defensive slack. That is simply too efficient to ignore. This is one game, against a junk team. Nothing to write home about.

Hopefully, Chase will continue this play. At the very least, it will spike his trade value going into the offseason.

1 person likes this.
  20. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

OK, so NJN doesn't have an real interior defenders (despite having some height); the Rockets did a much better driving to the rim. Lots of fast point baskets and even within the set offense they ran a lot of curls and drove the key. They would have actually scored more but a few missed layups. Even Lowry had at least two "tours of the key" (seems Rocket PGs stopped doing that this past year). The two stretches when the Rockets offense was off synch was when the Nets threw presses at them in the second half and the Rockets panicked. But presses don't work for long in the NBA.

What was funny is that the Nets offense was more like the Rockets of the past year... settling for jump shots (especially Vukob!tch, just as hateful as he was as a Laker).

CBud attacked the rim well. As did KMart. And doing so opened up their outside shooting. Hopefully they saw that as well. And hopefully TWill as well. Really like the new PG. He attacks (and yes, he does seem to look down a lot for someone with his dribbling skills). Rocket players will need to be aware with him on the court since he passes from odd angles. Since he didn't practice with the team yet I won't be too concerned about his odd defensive positioning and slight slow switches but it was clear he will be a big contributor on offense.

Still too much soft play defensively in the interior. Miller is not even giving defense any effort... and he drifts to the high post on offense and drifts out further to the 3-pt line. If it weren't for his passing from the high-post he would be contributing nothing. And Hill... well, he seems lost out there. I can at least understand why Habeet looked lost... Hill has been here a year. I just wish Patterson was 2 inches taller, since he gives great effort but he plays short.