1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Possible playoff rotation

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by sealclubber1016, Aug 28, 2015.

?

Who would be your 2?

1. Mike Fiers

14 vote(s)
    20.6%
  2. Lance McCullers

38 vote(s)
    55.9%
  3. Collin McHugh

50 vote(s)
    73.5%
  4. Scott Feldman

11 vote(s)
    16.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

If I had to choose right now, McHugh and McCullers would be 3 and 4

Long way to go though, reality is that after Keuchel and Kazmir the next two decisions will probably be decided by how these guys all do over the next 5 weeks.

2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I'm not sure about a 3 man rotation. If you can do so with full rest sure, but running guys out there ahead of schedule typically doesn't work out well, particularly if you have good alternatives, which it seems we do right now. If a series were to go 7, ideally Kazmir and Keuchel would start 4 of them, but over the duration of the playoffs you are likely gonna need the 4th guy a few times, if you are fortunate enough to advance.

I agree with the consensus that the pecking order is Keuchel-Kazmir-McHugh-McCullers. I'm a little surprised people seem to be so confident in McHugh again, thought him and Fiers would be closer. I wasn't one of them, but there were quite a few people complaining about him for most of the season.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Wild Card game: Tuesday, October 6

ALDS 1: Thursday, October 8 Keuchel
    ALDS 2: Friday, October 9 Kazmir
    ALDS 3: Sunday, October 11 McHugh
    ALDS 4* Monday, October 12 Keuchel/Feldman
    ALDS 5* Wednesday, October 14 Keuchel/Kazmir

ALCS 1: Friday, October 16
    ALCS 2: Saturday, October 17
    ALCS 3: Monday, October 19
    ALCS 4: Tuesday, October 20
    ALCS 5* Wednesday, October 21
    ALCS 6* Friday, October 23
    ALCS 7* Saturday, October 24

WS 1: Tuesday, October 27
    WS 2: Wednesday, October 28
    WS 3: Friday, October 30
    WS 4: Saturday, October 31
    WS 5* Sunday, November 1
    WS 6* Tuesday, November 3
    WS 7* Wednesday, November 4

Ask again in a month.

4. Poloshirtbandit

I meant to pick McHugh but hit Feldman by mistake.

5. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

1. Keuchel
    2. Kazmir
    3. McHugh

Set on that 1-2-3

4. McCullers, with some hesitation. Does he have the experience and maturity to handle this? Fiers & Feldman have been very good as of late.

6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Fiers sure as hell is making a case for himself. His ERA is his 4 starts with us is 0.67. Even in his first outing with us, he came into a very weird situation and proceeded to get lit up in his first inning, but then gave up 1 run over the next 4.

If you wanna push it back to Milwaukee, over his last 19 starts his ERA is 2.73, with an opposing BA around .220. Last season in 10 starts he had a 2.09 ERA and an opposing BA of .175. The longer he keeps this up, the more he looks like McHugh, a great pitcher who's numbers are inflated by a bad stretch early.

Those are not numbers that can be ignored.

7. htownbball

htownbball Member

Why not utilize the tandem system in the playoffs!?

Seriously though, you have to put your aces up front in Keuchel and Kazmir

McHugh has been on fire with a 1.89 ERA in August.

Fiers has been darn good as well with a 2.25 ERA

Feldman has had a dominant August with a 1.33 ERA in 4 starts

It's difficult to choose who to keep out of the rotation given how good every single guy has been, especially Lance since he's really only had 1 bad game in 15 starts thus far.

I think what it comes down to is looking at the match-ups in the series and making decisions based on that. Perhaps I keep any of the starters on a short leash and if we get in trouble, I have McCullers and VV in my back pocket to try and keep us in the game.

What about our bullpen?
    Harris
    Neshak
    Gregerson
    Sipp
    VV
    McCullers
    Qualls
    Perez?
    Thatcher?
    Fields?

I'm guessing we leave off one of Thatcher or Perez, with Thatcher probably being the odd man out. But do we even trust Perez and his control issues? What about Qualls? I have flashbacks of him in the mid 2000s just screwing us. I'd rather have Fields than Qualls, but he's not even on the 25 man right now.

We have 5 guys who are a definite yes: Harris, Neshak, Gregerson, Sipp, and McCullers. Do we need any one else?