1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Portland offered Hibbert the max (Amick)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by AroundTheWorld, Jul 1, 2012.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

They have been b**** slapping the Rockets front office for years.

DD

2. meh

meh Contributing Member

Yeah. Too bad we're not Blazers fans. Because if clutchfans were a Blazers board, I'm sure there wouldn't be such topics about perpetual mediocrity, and how we're one of the few teams in the NBA who hasn't been out of the first round in over a decade.

3. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

True, but Portland actually has a GM. We, on the other hand, have a collector of smallish PF-SF tweeners.

4. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

And what do they have to show for it?

5. roslolian

roslolian Member

From what I recall the FOS of the Rox and Porland are eerily similar, I may be wrong but I think Pritchard was the first $Ball GM in the league, certainly Pritchard was quoted saying 25% of all their scouting was based on $ball/analytics. Of course, Pritchard ultimately got fired for picking Oden over Durant (LOLOLOL), but I think a lot of their metrics and scouting strategy remained.

Regarding their FO clowning ours, most people would probably point to Roy, however IMHO that wasn't really ownage, they just got to pick before us and that would be like saying NO owned the rest of the league for picking first. Aside from that though, I think there's two instances Morey got clowned:

1. Batum for Dorsey and that other PF that was traded for Greene (HORRIBLE trade)
    2. They managed to fool Billy King out of a top 6 pick while we were messing around with Howard, Hill and Fisher.

I don't really see why people would say this is another example, do you think Hibbert is worth the max? I certainly don't, and I would definitely be disappointed if we wasted our precious caspace on him. With the new cap restrictions you have to be even more wary of Max players than before, these guys could be taking up to 40% of your available cap, and you still have 14 other spots to fill.

6. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Not a damn thing aside from a first round playoff spanking by the Rockets.

7. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Marc Stein
    @ESPNSteinLine
    Translation of that Blazers tweet: Portland signing Hibbert to max offer sheet July 11 that Pacers must match to keep All-Star center
    12:13pm - 1 Jul 12

8. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Isn't that every off-season, though? There will never be an adequate supply of class-A guys in Free Agency.

You're reading the Rockets Forum. Maybe if you hung out at Portland's boards you'd hear a lot more Portland speculation 10 days in advance.

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Going on how many years we've said Portland is loaded with talent or an up and coming team now? That team is cursed. Knowing their luck, they'll sign Hibbert and the stadium will collapse on him during the press conference.

1 person likes this.
  10. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Say goodbye to your knees Roy.........portland is where centers careers go to die!

11. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

The curse only affects their draftees.

Walton, Bowie, Sabonis, Oden, and Roy.

12. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

This is going to hurt Portland down the road. Max deal is way too much.

13. cookies18

cookies18 Member

Hibbert wants to get injuried.
    Any centers going to Blazers will most likely face a devastating injury sooner or later.
    Feel sorry for leonard already.

14. ThisIsOurCity

ThisIsOurCity Member

We heard about it because we are Rockets fans. Trust me, the rest of the nation didn't notice or care. They will notice if we were to swing a trade for DH but only then.

15. ThisIsOurCity

ThisIsOurCity Member

When I think Blazers front office I think Sam Bowie and Greg Oden. Two biggest bust in NBA history considering who they could have drafted instead.

16. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Bowie and Oden had injuries before coming to the NBA in college. Sabonis did get injured in the Soviet Union/Russia/Lithuania, a bit, but as a Blazer he never missed alot of games to injuries (significant time).

Walton and Roy are really the only two with those freakish injuries out of nowhere.

The Trailblazers are not cursed, they've already won an NBA title and have only missed the playoffs, seven times, since 1976.

The Clippers and Magic are cursed and ineptly managed.

17. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

im very shocked and disappointed that the Rockets didnt make a push for Hibbert and are going after a Asik instead. If they're offering 8mil for Asik - a guy who has no offensive tools rather than offering 13-14mil for a guy who has an offensive game that still has lots of potential to grow along with above avg defensive ability makes no sense

1 person likes this.
  18. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

19. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

Ugh they were able to get higher draft picks than the Rockets( something that Morey still cant do), and they were smart to tank. Now they are in position to make the playoffs this year

20. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

Huh. Bowie, granted, was injury prone in college. But didn't Oden miss a few games in college because of a hand or wrist injury? Not exactly career threatening. Also, the Sabonis the Blazers got was nothing like the Sabonis who kicked David Robinson's ass at the Olympics.

THE CURSE LIVES!