1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Population Control, D&D

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pirc1, Apr 12, 2005.

1. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

It's not culture. It's life. You don't understand because you don't need to live a Chinese life. News flash, you are in a "new world" called America.

2. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

:confused: It does seem to be a cultural difference. The whole 'east = group rights' - 'west = individual rights' divide.

3. michecon

I tend to think it's more than that. It's more of harsh reality than willing ness to sacrifice for group rights that makes people somewhat understand the necessity of birth control policy -- a simplistic approach policy.

4. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

Right now there are almost three hundred million people living in US. Image you have 1.3 billion people living on the same land, fighting for all kind of resources, like spaces, housing, food and jobs, you might have a second thought on the so called one child birth control policy.

Plus Chinese culture is so different. For example, a lot of Chinese families, especially in suburb, used to prefer having boys because they think only male family members can pass down the family heritage. If they have a girl, then they will just keep procreating until they have a baby boy. This simply can't continue because we know overpopulation could be disastrous. So there is a program that educates people that boys and girls are born equal; they are same in regard of keeping family heritage alive. So the policy is not totally imposed by force.

Keep that in mind, China created birth control policy, not because we are religious, not because we are so called evil commies; it is because we are fighting for survival. Overpopulation is making everyone suffers.

Now, are there any abuses of forced abortion? Probably. I can't say it never happened, although I believe the starving children story probably is some BS made up by somebody, there always will be some law executers abusing the policy. But if that happens, it will definitely be considered the crime of murder and it will never be backed up by the government.

5. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

It is said by someone that Yao ate babies to grow to 7'6". Now let's debate on it.

6. michecon

I dont know about Yao, but I heard someone do eat dead fetus. ;)

7. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

Right. And I also heard some people eat feces. Let's debate about it too.

8. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

If Chinese were just more realistic about the reality of overpopulation, then why did the communists have to FORCE the one child policy on the people? I think the way its been justified for 40+ years to the people falls in line with the emphasis on the 'group,' and that's why you've got people defending it here, now.

9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

One size fits all?

10. davidwu

davidwu Contributing Member

First, it's 20+ years instead of 40+ (typo?). The idea is probably 40 years old.

I think at the beginning, it's some conscious decision made by national leaders following the suggestion of some experts. If China was democratic at that time, it could not be passed, or the one passed it would be voted out the next term. Unless it's a one boy policy, it would not have grassroots support at all.

It started with education in late 70 and early 80s (you can call it propaganda too). It was not forceful abortion at all at the beginning, but peer-pressured sterilization for government employees (in my hometown at least) if you have two or more children. For forced abortions, I guess it most likely happened during late 80s and early 90s. Now, on one hand, after all these years’ education most people are either willingly doing so, or aware of what the policy is good for but thinking their own oversized family doesn't matter in large scale; while on the other hand, the policy execution is much more lenient now. So this is a much less concerned issue now.

11. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

No, I said its been discussed in MFN renewal talks in Congress for the last 20 years - that's Most Favored Nation (trade status) talks, not that the policy in China was 20+ years old. The policy is more like 40 years old in the PRC.

True.

It started earlier than that I believe, and its been pretty much forcefully implemented by the regime since then.

I agree its not as widespread as it was before - that's not the issue. The only reason I brought this up in the very beginning was to say 'forced population control like this is not desirable.' I think you'd agree with that.

12. davidwu

davidwu Contributing Member

Come on, am I a Chinese or not? If the policy started more than 40+ years ago, I wouldn't be here.

Have you heard of Dr. Ma Yinchu. Read here (http://www.china.org.cn/english/China/117047.htm) and you will know 40+ is not the policy but the when the idea originated in PRC. The state policy started in late 70s while some experiments started in early 70s (i didn't know this part as it probably not state wide, at least not in rual areas I know of). Before that, it's not even allowed to discuss this I guess.

Some excerpts:

"In 1957, after several surveys, he published his article the "New Population Theory" in the People's Daily, which advocated policies to ensure an "appropriate population growth.""

"But few in the then leadership agreed. Instead Ma suffered severe criticism and population studies were virtually banned."

13. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Uh, ok. 35 years ago - you got me.

14. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

There are restaurants in Japan that does that. gross.

15. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

16. michecon

It was not one-child policy then. It was not actively implemented until after Deng came into power.

17. pirc1

Most Chinese now accept the one child policy, but there are always exceptions. Most Chinese believe it is the right policy and good for the country as a whole. Everyone knows the amount of gas China is currently consuming, can you imagine if 500 more million Chinese were consuming them?

There were a couple on the run and begged for about 15 years because they had nine kids(first eight were girls, the last was finally a boy). What is so important about a family name? Like there are not enough Chen's in world (my last name). I would love to have a daughter anyway! :D

18. pirc1

One child policy definately started around 1980 or so. Maybe 78.

19. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Sigh. Population control policies started in the early 70s. One child started in the late 70s. Does this carping make a difference?

20. michecon

I was just helping your effort to get it right. No harm HS. :D